Gathering professions=obsolete?

General Discussion
Get me up to speed please.

Alchemy no longer seemed appealing to me so I dropped it for Engineering, and now with the Mine and the Herb Garden anyone can gather mats?

So for someone with a maxed out gathering profession the only benefit of retaining it would be what, the ability to gather mats in the outside world? Is that it?
Gathered materials are still going to be in demand. In fact, people are complaining that they simply can't get enough stuff immediately.
No, it's not. Gathering aren't worth it at all considering most crafters can't use gathered professions fast enough. The only need for a large supply of ore is if you're running non-stop work orders are double things, like a forge and a gem boutique. If you're doing one then it's trivial and unneeded. If you're not running max work orders then it's fine and not even remotely needed.

In essence, there isn't any point in being any profession. Apart from like novelty things from engineering like Jeeves. They really truly killed professions. There is honestly no reason to take any up, even a building.

Personally what I'm going with building wise: Gem hut, Alchemy hut, and Enchanters study.

Makes me lesser flasks, lesser gems and cheap enchants. Good enough for me. I don't need max level stuff that is marginally better then what I can get with absolute minimal effort and no real work required.
11/22/2014 12:04 AMPosted by Naralythia
Gathered materials are still going to be in demand. In fact, people are complaining that they simply can't get enough stuff immediately.

Yeah I made good money maxing out mining pre WoD (had Herbalism before) now I obtained the Herb Shack and am half tempted to drop mining for Alchemy again

I obviously learn through trial and error lol
Everything takes herbs! I have to use Herbs to make gems even.So I think herbalism is very good.
I was starting to wonder this, because unlike profession buildings, a player with mining has no building advantages over a player without mining.

I feel like there is too much ore because of this.

... To help address this, we’ve expanded the new instancing tech we used to improve queues on Saturday and we’re continuing the process of applying that to raise the capacity of all realms again...

They could be using this instancing tech to create more copies of a zone with less players. This means less competition for mats, thus an oversupply of mats.

However, the economy will rebalance itself, and once people are clued that there are too many ores/herbs, some people will drop the mining profession and get other crafting professions.
They overhauled the system and a lot of people do not understand it, and the reaction to it is anger and fear that it may make their profession trivial. It hasn't actually happened to them yet, but they could swear they saw the demise on the horizon.

I went into this expansion assuming that professions would be useless, etc, but it's just different and improved in some ways. Gathering resources from the nodes in the garrison is not enough for me to supply myself with all I need, and I will have to rely on other players gathering or selling their stuff for me to craft things.

It sure as hell looks like I will be able to craft things that people can actually use this expansion, instead of crap just to skill up, which is definitely an improvement as well.
I wouldn't say they're totally obsolete, but I will say that they're grossly imbalanced, as are all professions. For example, I've always gotten mats by running instances, working the AH, and buying what I need from other players. I usually run engineering and leather working.

Now that I've unlocked the mine at my garrison, I can't actually use all the ore i'm pulling, because the gating in engineering is so tight.

Meanwhile, I have the barn, and keep a constant stream of work orders going for leather, but I wasn't able to craft anything except a few low quality items that I will never use because all of the superior leather working recipes require Gorgond Flytraps (herb drop), which is aparently quite rare, and started out selling at almost 50g each. It takes 10 for 4 burnished leather (at least until you manage to level up your skill), and 100 of those for one item, so we're talking 12,500 gold just to buy the HERBS to make a single leather item. Fortunately, they've come down to about 10g, and at level 96 I unlocked my garden (helps, but not nearly enough).
11/22/2014 12:12 AMPosted by Dalles
Everything takes herbs! I have to use Herbs to make gems even.So I think herbalism is very good.

Except everyone has an herb garden, and if you didn't know you can tell her what to plant and you'll only get that herb in your garden.

If you're rushing it and you want to maximize your work orders then yes you'll need herbalism or mining to get the extra supplies. If you're okay with only doing as many work orders as your garden and mine can produce, they no you don't need them.

You can do two crafted professions slowly, or one very fast. Also keep in mind alts, if you level an alt and use their mine and herb garden.
11/22/2014 12:13 AMPosted by Goldbrand
I was starting to wonder this, because unlike profession buildings, a player with mining has no building advantages over a player without mining.

I feel like there is too much ore because of this.

... To help address this, we’ve expanded the new instancing tech we used to improve queues on Saturday and we’re continuing the process of applying that to raise the capacity of all realms again...

They could be using this instancing tech to create more copies of a zone with less players. This means less competition for mats, thus an oversupply of mats.

However, the economy will rebalance itself, and once people are clued that there are too many ores/herbs, some people will drop the mining profession and get other crafting professions.

Very informative. Thank you!

Yeah I'm considering doing just that

Definitely Leather and to a very, VERY lesser degree, some herbs (mainly Flytraps and Frostweed).

But Ore? Ore on my server is already cheaper than Ghost Iron (arguably the most abundant end-game ore, EVER) from the end of the expansion.

Oh, and this just over a week into the expansion.
11/22/2014 12:19 AMPosted by Awkward

Definitely Leather and to a very, VERY lesser degree, some herbs (mainly Flytraps and Frostweed).

But Ore? Ore on my server is already cheaper than Ghost Iron (arguably the most abundant end-game ore, EVER) from the end of the expansion.

I can't even sell ore, it's just useless. You get so much in the mine and you don't use nearly that much.

Herbs is only expensive because a lot of people haven't realized you can pick what herbs go into your garden. All you have to do is talk to the herb elf and tell her to planet Flytraps and tomorrow you'll get a garden full of flytraps. I have about 400 flytraps on my druid and I only use 10 a day for my leatherworking daily.
11/22/2014 12:19 AMPosted by Awkward

The latest and most abundant ore from current content will be cheaper than the tier of ore behind because nobody is farming the latter anymore. Blacksmithing, Jewelcrafting, and Engineering didn't roll over and die two weeks into the expansion. People are emptying their bags on the AH and going by what they see on there, while the relevant crafting professions are only starting to get there. Most people are still leveling right now.
11/22/2014 12:23 AMPosted by Acalannaria
Herbs is only expensive because a lot of people haven't realized you can pick what herbs go into your garden. All you have to do is talk to the herb elf and tell her to planet Flytraps and tomorrow you'll get a garden full of flytraps. I have about 400 flytraps on my druid and I only use 10 a day for my leatherworking daily.

a. I'm a complete idiot.

b. You are this idiot's hero.
11/22/2014 12:26 AMPosted by Brandubh

a. I'm a complete idiot.

Alchemists will still need herbalism as you need a metric ton of frostherb things to make anything.

Also fishing, Alch's need fishing.

a. I'm a complete idiot.

You might need a follower with Herbalism to work in your garden before you can choose which herb to grow.

However, this can either be a bug or intentional feature, but if you already have herbalism, you don't need a follower to do that.
11/22/2014 12:34 AMPosted by Goldbrand

a. I'm a complete idiot.

You might need a follower with Herbalism to work in your garden before you can choose which herb to grow.

However, this can either be a bug or intentional feature, but if you already have herbalism, you don't need a follower to do that.

After looking it up you indeed require a follower in level 2 to do that, also increases your yield. However, both alliance and horde get Fiona and Rala in the starting zones from a quest at a fairly early level. Also with Herb garden requiring level 96 you should be able to upgrade it to level 2 nearly straight away and assign a follower.

I assigned Fiona, picked my herbs and then a few days later just gave up keeping Fiona there and unassigned her and still get nothing but flytraps.

Though I'm really not sure if it's intended. If it requires Fiona to stay there, then she shall stay there. Besides upgrading to level 3 is of none of my concern as it doesn't increase my yield at all.
I'm still getting a feel for everything. To this point, it seems getting certain things is a bit slower, but I don't mind it that much. Considering I'm enjoying the gaming environments and zones, I still feel the need to keep an eye on my garrison progress plus those missions. Overall, I've got maybe twelve hours on this expansion (maybe more), but it's been fun and not at all boring. Still a lot more to explore!
I feel slightly less idiotic now. I haven't had a chance to upgrade my herb garden yet, but you can be sure that's next on my list. As it is, making any leatherworking items is nearly impossible. Honestly, I get why they have all this gating, but some of the details clearly weren't thought out. The clearly didn't think things through as far as leatherworking and tailoring, as both are nearly impossible without herbalism until level 96.