The top 5 Mage changes you would like to see

Mage
Prev 1 2 3 9 Next
Double the damage of all our spells; any class that has three DPS specs should be doing double the damage of any other class. Pet classes should be doing 50% damage with pets, and 50% damage from player.
11/20/2014 10:02 PMPosted by Rexide
#3 Delete the talents nova / prismatic crystal and replace it with anything else. It ruins the class for all 3 specs. removing mage bombs was a terrible idea.

Honestly I really like Ice Nova a lot, and it is actually amazing for PVP since it is another ranged root in addition to Freeze. The fact that it does damage doesn't hurt any either!
11/21/2014 04:32 AMPosted by Zathur
Double the damage of all our spells; any class that has three DPS specs should be doing double the damage of any other class. Pet classes should be doing 50% damage with pets, and 50% damage from player.

I think this would probably be considerably too much lol.
1 Restore the GCD reduction.
2. "
3. "
4 "
5. "
1. Improved Counterspell for arcane

2. Some insta proc for arcane

3. Arcane orb baseline

4. PoM > Poly back

5. Alter Time baseline
Well in a fantasy land:

1. Talent specs come back
2. Specializations are unspecialized so frost/fire/arcane get access to one anothers spells again
3. We get a redone bomb line up more like MoP
4. Mages are balanced with the goal of making them play like they did in WotLK/BC
5. Our viable spec lineup becomes Frost/fire/frostfire/arcane

!@#$ it.

6. Can we have a god damn stun back and/or any sustain? kthx.
casting on the move will fix all my toons. drain soul, arcane blast, lightning bolt. this is what really hurt us. since balance for pve pvp numbers is difficult. my warrior still would not have an issue keeping on casters even still. this turned pvp into a melee fight. they my get rid of pvp if they loose too many subs. dmg is fine. its just melee is on us more often. my warrior is getting geared way faster then anything else i have.
11/21/2014 03:38 PMPosted by Friéza
casting on the move will fix all my toons. drain soul, arcane blast, lightning bolt. this is what really hurt us. since balance for pve pvp numbers is difficult. my warrior still would not have an issue keeping on casters even still. this turned pvp into a melee fight. they my get rid of pvp if they loose too many subs. dmg is fine. its just melee is on us more often. my warrior is getting geared way faster then anything else i have.

DMG is fine you say? LOL Get to 100 and tell me how fine our damage is again.
1. Chance to proc Brain Freeze/Fingers of Frost increased by 5%, Max FoF charges increased to 3

2. Ice Lance (with FoF) and Frostfire Bolt (with BF) GCD reduced by .5 seconds

3. Frostbolt damage increased by 10%

4. Lvl 100 Talents completely reworked

5. Rune of Power is now instant cast with a .5 second GCD
Well, I'm going to break down each of mine why I ask for it.

1) Give some kind of Evocation/Glyph iteration back to mages as a whole and not just locked to Arcane with the spell only.

I used Incanter's Ward when it was still to be had specifically so that not only did I have an extra shield but I had the "normal" version heal while it was glyphed. I could channel it a little or a lot, and it didn't restrict me to being locked in one location for anywhere nearly as long as current Iceblock/Glyph does where enemies just sit and wait it out, negating most of the purpose I needed the bleeping heal.

I consider myself FORTUNATE to have a paltry random heal now and then just for being Forsaken because every little, itty-bitty healing counts.

Seriously, Glyph of Regenerative Ice is basically mandatory now for my survival against any even reasonably tough enemy. If I have to pop Amplify Magic + Cold Snap (yes, I cannot use Greater Invisibility or Cauterize because they are both death sentences in either the long run or, in GI's case, don't do me any good because the fact I need to kill something/someone for quests doesn't change...) PLUS Ice Block on virtually most mini-bosses that aren't even elite during regular questing (oh, and did I mention this is against level 96 mobs and onwards up? NINETY. SIX. Let that sink in. Yeah. I should be wrecking things that much lower than me but I'm rather nervous when I pull more than a couple things, especially with the mob density and fast respawn rates), then we have a major issue.

This means that we need to have:

2) A better setup of how to effectively play Fire than rely on RNG yet again.

Unless I have a VERY significant amount of haste (which obviously I don't this early in the expansion cycle), that stacking chance of crit you gave me and every other fire mage for a perk? Guess what? I'm still going to use my guaranteed crit burst cooldown EVERY time I have the 'Heating Up' buff. It's not worth holding onto otherwise.

Gearing up as fire since I truly have a deep-rooted hatred for Frost and Arcane means the class I want to play needs to stop being beaten down just because an insignificantly low percentage of top mage players compared to the whole playerbase get geared to the teeth and proceed to pull numbers you don't like. This ripples down and we can only pick up the pieces so many times before we can no longer salvage what we may because we KNOW you're going to kick us when we're down. Seriously, us and warriors (the only other class that loves crit as much as us, if not more so because we actually like haste for the most part while only Arms begrudgingly accepts it as a necessary evil)...why?

Which leads us to:

3) Undo the 'ability bloat' re-work you performed on the mage class.

If we're locked to such a gimmicky gameplay mechanism, why, for the love of everything (un)holy, did you absolutely GUT the mage class of cross-specialization spells? We actually USED them! Maybe not 100% of the time, but we know different situations call for different spells. I used Blizzard infinitely more so than Flamestrike, for example. Hell, I'd even take old Flamestrike back that didn't place a DoT on immediately hit targets only but left a burning ground effect.

A great deal many of further examples exist but going to only touch one other loss of access that has personally greatly diminished my gameplay experience. Cone of Cold being replaced by Dragon's Breath instead of existing side-by-side? Oh, great, where a significant portion of mob abilities cannot be interrupted by disorient abilities, we lost a very valuable, instant cast, melee range slow ability. True, I have Glyph of Frostfire Bolt to replace my classic Fireball but that just reminds me of yet another point, that being:

4) Lack of choice in glyph selection.

Really, we just need more across the board that are NOT PvP-centric or so narrowly niche to certain min/max PvE setups that most of us simply don't utilize because we can't without inadvertently hurting ourselves in the long run by ridiculous portion.

I can't honestly suggest anything for this since this is not my, ahem, "thing". I just know it's painfully obvious when being able to Blink (a minor glyph, at that!) where I'm moving instead of just straight ahead is WAY more useful than having a single extra target to spread my few DoTs to, especially when my perk from WoD gives a stronger version for free.

Finally, we get to what is more a personal and semi-selfish wish:

5) Give me back my Combustion stun.

Why? So I can feel I'm contributing more than just a frequent boost in dps. So many times has the previous version of Combustion been a godsend when I'm in a group that would have otherwise wiped because I stunned the enemy to interrupt a very painful ability or heal from a mob that I wouldn't be able to counter (because 'lol 24 sec CD').

It also ties into the choices thing for glyphs, a little, in that I would NOT take Glyph of Combustion before they removed the stun portion unless it was a fight in that had no adds with interruptable abilities. I'd much rather be allowed more frequent Combustion uses that felt meaningful than give a slight blip upwards on some random person's dps meter (seriously, Recount, I could not give the slightest fart about numbers so long as we are successful and we are performing mechanics correctly, I don't need my ego stroked like so many people seem lost without).
Speaking purely from a pvp point of view:

1. Buff combustion damage or give it back it's stun. It's a pointless ability as is.
2. Meteor? It may be instant cast, but it does not arrive instantly. Mages can't expect to stand still and live. The fight has moved on when meteor arrives.
3. Scorch damage is a joke at 500-700 a cast.
4. Fireball cast time is too long for such low damage. No way can you stand around hard casting fireball in pvp and hope to survive.
5. Fire is predicated upon building a sizable ignite. Not something at all practical in pvp.
Only 2 changes I want to see:

1) make comet storm viable in PVE Please!!!
2) make conjure refreshment produce the same item as ritual of refreshment. Why theyre 2 different items is beyond me :/
11/21/2014 08:02 PMPosted by Vorastrix

3) Undo the 'ability bloat' re-work you performed on the mage class.

If we're locked to such a gimmicky gameplay mechanism, why, for the love of everything (un)holy, did you absolutely GUT the mage class of cross-specialization spells? We actually USED them! Maybe not 100% of the time, but we know different situations call for different spells. I used Blizzard infinitely more so than Flamestrike, for example. Hell, I'd even take old Flamestrike back that didn't place a DoT on immediately hit targets only but left a burning ground effect.

A great deal many of further examples exist but going to only touch one other loss of access that has personally greatly diminished my gameplay experience. Cone of Cold being replaced by Dragon's Breath instead of existing side-by-side? Oh, great, where a significant portion of mob abilities cannot be interrupted by disorient abilities, we lost a very valuable, instant cast, melee range slow ability.

yep
1. Buff damage on hard casting abilities

2. GCD off prismatic crystal, it feels so damn clunky waiting to cast on it

3. More glyphs fro abilities

4. self healing of some kind

5. Fix refreshments to be same as single conjure
A lot of frost suggestions, which is fine because the spec is not without issues, however it is currently the most viable. As such, I'd like to see changes made to enable the other specs into a point of viability.

(however I'll vouch for increasing frostbolt's damage anyway because it needs it, but other specs need massive buffs comparatively speaking lol)

1. Buff frostbolt
2. Buff combustion
3. Remove prismatic crystal's GCD
4. Add back the old "Scorch now increases the odds of you critting" debuff application to give scorch purpose again and to buff fire as it is much needed. Scorch is currently borderline worthless-ice floes already accounts for the moments needed to move while casting, and when you are forced to use scorch it does negative damage, it's almost the equivalent of nothing.
5. Buff blast wave and supernova to be on par with ice nova base damage wise. (why in god's name blast wave does less damage than ice nova is beyond me, especially seeing as ice nova also applies stronger cc)
Stop asking for heals. You are a Mage. Srsly.
1. prismatic crystal off gcd
2. comet storm buffed
3. OBVIOUSLY frostbolt dmg buffed, you can re-nerf it when our multistrike scales higher so our instants are hitting so much more that the nerf doesnt matter
4. another water elemental minor glyph, both options are kinda weak
5. faster ice floes activation, for some reason i cast it and then move and so many times my cast breaks because ice floes hadnt activated yet, idk if its just me or some minor lag or what, but it happens more than id like.
6. for blink to not get us trapped behind things in encounters, for instance i got stuck behind a pillar in the windtunnel in skyreach, i got stuck behind the boxes in the first fight in UBRS and died to the electric orb of death
7. fix the inferno blast synergy, it spreads dot effects, but often is used for pyroblast proc, which means it wont be spreading pyroblast dot since there is no pyroblast dot on the target, always found that a strange mechanic.
Remove pet

Buff frostbolt

Let icelance build better and faster ice bolts instead of the other way around.

Make arcane & fire more accessable.

11/21/2014 01:31 PMPosted by Rand
2. Specializations are unspecialized so frost/fire/arcane get access to one anothers spells again
1. Buff Frostbolt
2. Buff Combustion single target damage
3. Increase Fireperk crit chance (11%, 22%, 33%, 44%, 55%)
4. Buff Comet Storm in some way
5. Make PC a spell cast on a mob that follows it around.
1. Buff frostbolt damage.
2. Buff frostbolt damage.
3. Buff frostbolt damage.
4. Buff frostbolt damage.
5. Buff frostbolt damage.

<===Bonus objective: Get me out of the shadow realm already.