FAQ: Installing & Troubleshooting AddOns

UI and Macro
Prev 1 2 3 18 Next
ok, so if it was installed in program files and then moved, then what?
Look for another addons folder.
01/29/2011 9:34 PMPosted by Kolo
ok, so if it was installed in program files and then moved, then what?

If wow is installed somewhere else, like C:\World of Warcraft\, then you can just install all addons straight into the World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\ folder.
01/29/2011 6:15 PMPosted by Wahine
I have this same problem i have no ADD-on button on Character screen i used to have it Pre- catacysm now it is gone too... so .... i'm stupid i'm looking ever where for a setting or button to click. cant find them. yes i just double checked my Add-ons are in correct path per upper comments on this page. i never had reason to install an ADD-on. but kinda need DBM and recount for guild runs....

WINDOW 7 btw

If your AddOns are not installed in the correct folder, you will have no AddOns button on the character selection screen. Since you have no AddOns button there, your AddOns are not correctly installed, or you're running a different copy of the game than you think you are.

I bet that when you installed Cataclysm, the game offered to move from Program Files to the Public\Games path.
- Windows Vista or Windows 7
C:\Users\Public\Games\ World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\

The Cataclysm installer offers to do this any time it finds that WoW is installed in the Program Files (or Program Files(x86) for 64bit users) folder. Many, many, many people just hit the "accept" button without reading or understanding the message.

To make sure you know where your game is installed, we're going to check the properties for the icon you use to start the game.

1. Find the World of Warcraft icon on your desktop, and right-click it.
2. Select "Properties" from the menu.
3. Click on the "Shortcut" tab.
4. Look at the path information in the "Target:" box.
- This is where your game is really installed.

Once you know this piece of information you will know where to install your AddOns. Be very sure to re-read the first post ( http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1536706542 ) and pay very close attention to the section called "Extracting your AddOns".
I appreciate all your help. I installed the game originally on C:program files (86x) area, then after the addons did not come up, I came back and read this addon post. I then moved all to
Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft
My shortcut reads:
"C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe"
Target is
"C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft”
Addons are located and extracted to:
C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns
I can see the addons and the zip files in the above directory.
I also did a search on folders containing wowo.exe and it only came up with the same as the shortcut, so I do not think the game is installed anywhere else.

Stil stupped.

I am going to try and delete the addons and re-download them
Re-read the first post again, Kolo. Pay close attention to "Extracting Your AddOns" and the "Where to Put AddOns Once You’ve Extracted Them" sections.
Unkle,

So I reread the post and you suggest..... for - Windows Vista or Windows 7

which is exactly where they are located,

Is there a clue to what I should be looking for in the post?

So in addition I uninstalled everything, loaded it again to
C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft

and I am right back where I started-no Addons

Still lost
02/03/2011 5:38 PMPosted by Kolo
Unkle,

So I reread the post and you suggest..... for - Windows Vista or Windows 7

which is exactly where they are located,

Is there a clue to what I should be looking for in the post?

So in addition I uninstalled everything, loaded it again to
C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft

and I am right back where I started-no Addons

Still lost

Search your C drive for another addon directory to make sure windows didn't create one in the virtual store. If your search comes up with any addon directories that aren't in C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft delete them.

Once you've established that you don't have any duplicate addon folders anywhere, install your addons correctly, because as of current, they're not. Unkle's post already outlined the proper directory structure for addons.
Finally,

The extraction was to an addional folder in the in

Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Postal\Postal\ folder. I simply moved the 2nd Postal folder to \Addons\ and presto they are there.

I guess the self extractor in Windows7 puts in the same folder, not the one above-which is strange.

Thanks for your time and efforts.
Kolo

When installing wrath of lich king. It says that common-2mpq could not be found.
Then were do i move it?
02/08/2011 7:21 AMPosted by Flandalelm
When installing wrath of lich king. It says that common-2mpq could not be found.

If you're installing from an older DVD, you're probably better off installing from the Web or from a Cataclysm DVD instead, since the file structure of the game has changed since Wrath of the Lich King came out.

You can download the installer by logging into your account and using the "Services" button.
Bump for sticky!

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
02/08/2011 7:21 AMPosted by Flandalelm

If you have a fully patched 4.0.6 client you don't need to install Wrath. Just use the wrath upgrade code in your battle.net acct management page.
Finally,

The extraction was to an addional folder in the in

Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Postal\Postal\ folder. I simply moved the 2nd Postal folder to \Addons\ and presto they are there.

I guess the self extractor in Windows7 puts in the same folder, not the one above-which is strange.

Thanks for your time and efforts.
Kolo

Was having the same problem, with a new computer, imo should make a sticky just for this problem. Brb downloading winrar.
When you said to allow into the public folder, i have always had it like this: Public/Games/WoW/Interface/Add ons. I just came back to WoW yesterday and I wanted some addons back in, so I go to Public/Games, and there's nothing in there at all. I read about the streaming and about having to wait until it hits the green section, but should it really not display anything at all? Yes, i can play the game just fine, just it doesn't really....exist in the folders <_<. Ghost WoW.
When you said to allow into the public folder, i have always had it like this: Public/Games/WoW/Interface/Add ons. I just came back to WoW yesterday and I wanted some addons back in, so I go to Public/Games, and there's nothing in there at all. I read about the streaming and about having to wait until it hits the green section, but should it really not display anything at all? Yes, i can play the game just fine, just it doesn't really....exist in the folders <_<. Ghost WoW.

To make sure you know where your game is installed, we're going to check the properties for the icon you use to start the game.

1. Find the World of Warcraft icon on your desktop, and right-click it.
2. Select "Properties" from the menu.
3. Click on the "Shortcut" tab.
4. Look at the path information in the "Target:" box.
- This is where your game is really installed.

Once you know this piece of information you will know where to install your AddOns. Be very sure to re-read the first post ( http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1536706542 ).
my question is, when i use some add-ons or addons at all my FPS goes down to 5-10. how can i fix this? when i have no add-on on its 60 FPS. i currently have a pretty good gaming computer, 8gig of RAM and a ATI Radeon HD 5750.
02/27/2011 1:43 AMPosted by Nhik
my question is, when i use some add-ons or addons at all my FPS goes down to 5-10. how can i fix this? when i have no add-on on its 60 FPS. i currently have a pretty good gaming computer, 8gig of RAM and a ATI Radeon HD 5750.

WoW's performance is all about CPU use; once you get above the requirements for playing the game (and your specs are) then throwing more hardware at the problem isn't really a solution. You need to determine exactly what is causing performance to suffer. Poorly written AddOns which do expensive calculations too often, AddOns which are generating a lot of errors, or AddOns which simply need to do very expensive calculations to do their functions can cause you to suffer some FPS loss.

• First - Make sure that you have Lua errors turned on. (Interface Options > Help > Check the box for Lua Errors.) If you're getting lots of errors, you'll want to update or replace the AddOns producing them.

• Second - Make sure all your AddOns are up-to-date. Get the most recent releases from a reputable source (such as Curse.com and WoWInterface.com, or the AddOn author's authorized site). More recent release versions are usually the ones which will have bugs fixed and are less likely to generate lots of errors. (Note, this is a rule of thumb. Software development by hobbiest-programmers will hit snags and occasionally release buggy AddOns. It happens. ) When in doubt, check the Change Logs/Release notes for the AddOn on its web page.

• Third - Use CPU profiling to see which of your AddOns is using up lots of CPU time. This requires an AddOn, and will itself result in using a lot of CPU time, but it can help you track down the AddOns which are causing you an issue. Shadowed wrote Resource Tools for this purpose (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info7175-ResourceTools.html).
  • On my old laptop, running Windows XP 32-bit, I had all of my addons working just fine. But now, on my new Windows 7 64-bit desktop, one addon will not work and I do not have the Addons tab under my in-game Interface menu. I have an Addons button on the character select screen and all three of my addons are shown there as enabled. I even have "Load out-of-date addons" checked. But regardless of what I do, I cannot get this addon to even register as being installed in-game. My game isn't 100% downloaded, but it's well into the "green" with only 300MB remaning on download. Any advice is helpful

My full path for addons in C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns.