Proving grounds is useless

General Discussion
I applaud Blizz for trying to teach players how to play, but it doesn't really test anything other than their dps capabilities.

DPS is important, but in terms of things I actually value from a dps its not at the top.

1) Avoiding the fire.
There really isn't any of this in the proving grounds. There's not really anything that can damage your toon in the proving ground. Its simply a dps test.

Add a mechanic that tests a players ability to MOVE OUT OF THE FIRE and AVOID CLEAVES. I can't tell you how many people I see in heroics that don't know how to avoid things.

2) CC/interrupts
I made a premade group the other day for heroics specifically asking people to use their interrupts. I called someone out on not using their interrupt and their response was 'its not even challenge mode, stop being dramatic'. I don't care how meaningless you think interrupting is... it does help the healer. It does help the tank.

Beyond interrupting a heal in proving grounds, its not really tested. I wish there was a mob that had attacks that continously bombarded you ebbing your life away until you learn to interrupt the mob or wipe. Add in a mob that one shots you with a 10 second cast time. Start making people learn to use interrupts more frequently.

3) Saving your healer and performing under pressure
Not sure how you could test this. Perhaps add a healer npc that the dps needs to protect to keep themselves alive.

Bottom line... dps isn't everything. I wish proving grounds tested useful things like avoiding fire and interrupting. Anyone can spam their dps buttons.
Honestly, a lot of that should be picked up on while leveling to 100, 90 boost or not. PG are not their to teach someone every little thing about dungeons, some of it has to come from common sense. To some people, that's something that they just don't possess.
12/02/2014 01:46 AMPosted by Naztal
Honestly, a lot of that should be picked up on while leveling to 100, 90 boost or not. PG are not their to teach someone every little thing about dungeons, some of it has to come from common sense. To some people, that's something that they just don't possess.

I feel like if they tested some of those things in PG it would at least make people AWARE of what it feels like to not have abilities interrupted or how much it sucks standing in the fire when there isn't a healer to bail you out.
I think fire and avoidable mechanics should be unhealable. You stand in it, you die, end of story.
You have to avoid the fire in the tank PG.
I never realized how many people have trouble with silver proving grounds. I thought it was a complete joke when I did it, now hearing people actually have trouble with it? I find it hilarious personally.

Kind of glad they can't be in my group, if they can't do some thing so simple.
These dps don't even realize how much their screw ups hurt the group.

If johnny died in PG because he stood in the fire he'd realize its not the healers fault and he would have to MOVE.

If johny died to a mob turreting into him because he didn't interrupt, he'd learn to use them more often. Its hard to know how much interrupts help when you have a tank soaking the damage for you.
12/02/2014 02:02 AMPosted by Venaal

but if people are not learning anything from PG, why keep it as a requirement?
12/02/2014 02:11 AMPosted by Nzhuv
12/02/2014 02:02 AMPosted by Venaal

but if people are not learning anything from PG, why keep it as a requirement?

It's an idiot test basically. Keeps them from ruining the instances of other people by being bad.

That's the logic behind it.
I do agree, and proving grounds could do a lot better when assessing actual group play (for dps, especially) with an illusory tank and healer that will react, surprise surprise, as tanks and healers.

If you interrupt a heal, the lack of interrupt causes a shadowbolt to go off. If you are standing in the fire and the healer can't keep up, you die. game over, try again. Interrupt the shadowbolt and cant stop the heal, you live for a little while longer but have to change your dps/stun tactics to get everything down.

*Note: the fire in this case deals more DPS than the healer can keep up with without any other spells added in. GTFO the fire.
Yeah I learned more from doing some raids in MoP vice the proving grounds. A lot more, actually.
12/02/2014 02:02 AMPosted by Ahlen
You have to avoid the fire in the tank PG.
I was in a heroic Grimrail last night and the tank stood in the fire on trash and on bosses. Apparently, silver PG did not help him/her.
I'm using a alt character to keep from getting in hot water with my guild, to prove to my dps friend I did it on there toon with 603ilvl and beat silver in one go, and I !@#$ed up on the pull, but after everything was dead I had 15 to 20 seconds left to just run around. I am a healer, I do not dps what so freaking ever! I beat proving grounds on my healer with 565 gear, as a healer! Those pandas don't use CD, everyone is %^-*!ing about this and its like "really? How hard it it to just run the amber things in to the healer and get them down, then aoe the little guys and what not?" @#$%ing I got him GOLD proving grounds on the first run for crying out loud, I'm a vanilla player, and have know others who are just total morons who just want a damn free ride.

Oh also I'm a raid leader, so if people want to be in my raid group you have to have beaten bronze, silver and gold. Just saying.
Some of the lessons are learned but not expanded on. For instance, if the freakin' tank would move out of the fire a little further I could flank the trash/boss so I'm not dodged and parried while I dps while not standing in the fire... just saying.

Edit: Oh it took me two tries on my pally but in my defense, I was only around 585 or so GS and got chain stunned by the amber.
PG just reinforces the thought that dps can pew pew into things without any regard to the environment.

Heck even the healer PG has fire to avoid.

The closest thing to "fire" in the dps proving grounds is the monkey tossing bananas causing you to miss. And thats not even in the silver, its in gold.
One of my major gripes on my priest so far is all the random adds that b-line toward me. I run to the tank thinking "Making it easy get these off me!" Doesn't happen. DPS continue to focus something else. Pop all threat dumps and still have aggro. They really do need to add some stuff to silver. Then again, even if they did people would still derp so they have something to whine about when they die because im too busy trying to keep myself alive long enough to snap a couple heals on the tank.
12/02/2014 03:15 AMPosted by Lureilyia
PG just reinforces the thought that dps can pew pew into things without any regard to the environment.

Heck even the healer PG has fire to avoid.

The closest thing to "fire" in the dps proving grounds is the monkey tossing bananas causing you to miss. And thats not even in the silver, its in gold.

They have giant balls of amber that lock them up if they get hit by it! I watch my get get !@#$ed over on round eight a few times!
There is no specific instance for "get out of the fire" or "don't get hit by the cleave" but the silver proving ground has other mechanics that essentially teaches the same logic.

Shield guys? "Make sure to hit certain mobs from behind"
Slow moving ruby orbs? "Stay mobile to avoid the obvious bad"
As a BrM, I feel like proving grounds gold has helped me make good use of my ox statue and Xuen as offtanks. It's also helped me learn to kite better.