Flying Demand Indicates Problem in Gaming

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
When I grew up playing games, they were about challenges. You are faced with a challenge, you thought of methods to overcome it, you tested those methods, and eventually overcame it. Even today where you would search online or on forums for solutions, it is mostly the same, because you are applying tools at your disposal to overcome an obstacle. I would argue that this is responsible for the intellectual, analytical nature of most gamers, and it is something one can apply outside of games to their job, various aspects of life, and so forth.

One thing that disturbs me about this whole flying debate is that you CAN fly. There are outlined ways to fly, the simplest example being Aviana’s feather. Another example is that I leveled engineering before the expansion, made Gnomish Gravity Well with Goblin Gliders, and I always fly using this method among others. The list of methods I won’t get into because if one hasn’t cared to read them before then they won’t care now. There has never been a time in WoW where travel time was faster without flying. Everything is extremely fast, even gearing, and I am willing to guarantee that Blizzard made things faster to compensate for things like ground mounts.

The fact that you can fly, but that people “demand flying,” leads me to believe that these people are too lazy to use their brain or not habituated towards doing so. Their habituation is that if they complain, they will get results faster than using their brains.

The second point is that I have never, in my 31 years as a gamer, heard of anyone “demanding flying” before from a game. Never. No one is on the Nintendo forums demanding flying from Zelda WiiU, Final Fantasy games, or whatever. It is completely absurd. The rationale behind the demand is that people could fly before, so they expect to fly, but now they cannot adjust to the change.

There are things you can understandably demand from WoW: such as class balance, pvp bugs removed, pve bugs removed, exploits removed, and so forth. These are essential parts of gameplay. If you are healing a raid, you are playing the game. If you are dpsing in 3s, you are playing the game. Flying is not playing the game. To demand flying is completely appaling to me, and unprecedented in general.

Let’s imagine that Blizzard implemented flying right now. What would be the purpose of the garrison buildings in Nagrand or Gorgrond? Now Blizz needs to design a flying goat for Nagrand so that players’ previous choices aren’t wasted? What about Gearworks or Mage Tower? They’re basically obsolete. Now Blizzard has to completely redesign 1/4 of the expansion.

The point here is that the entire expansion is designed around no flying mounts, and to implement flying mounts would require thousands of work hours which could be better spent on aspects of REAL GAMEPLAY such as pvp or pve. Not only that, but since the expansion is genuinely good the way it is now and valid with its entire ground mount system, the game would certainly be less enjoyable if you get everything instantly. The whole treasure and elite hunting systems would be invalidated.

But the basic thing is, why in God’s name do people feel they can demand flying from a video game??? I understand the not-caring factor, the casual gamer factor where it saves you time, and yeah if there was flying I would use it, but who actually demands it??

The problem is deeper than a “spoiled brat generation.” People don’t play games to use their brains anymore. You already can fly, you just don’t want to apply the thought or effort into doing it. I think I speak for myself and others that it would not harm my gaming experience at all if these people completely leave the game and move onto Farmville or some iPhone game.
With that last paragraph, consider what garrisons are. Now, consider what demographic blizzard is trying to appeal to.

Are you really surprised?
Zelda Skyward Sword has free-roam flying, so you're wrong about that. The rest is your opinion, not mine.
Agree with the OP 100%

You don't get to demand content. You play the game and make suggestions. If you don't like it, don't play. Blizzard doesn't owe you anything
Yay! we can fly if we give up the professions we like and just accept that instead of someone building a puzzle or game that involves flying as a possible solution, we should just be happy that they even made a game where you spend a lot of time pressing menu buttons and hoping the menu will reward you with an item or more stuff that you can use to press more menu buttons.

Sorry OP, with the garrison system, you are playing Farmville and/or an iPhone game.

It's okay though, you're the kind of accepting customer that Blizzard wants.
I doubt players would be demanding flying if they hadn't gotten used to having flying in the games current content over the last eight years.
What a valid point, every time I see a demand for flying, or I am quitting because of no flying I just scratch my head and think that's a pretty dumb reason to quit a game. Most games do not have flying at all or at least most MMOs like this. I don't get it. You can fly in other areas of the game just not in this area, get over it.
Spot on.

When I was younger I went through a few controllers. One I destroyed in a fit of rage while playing Final Fight. The second was during a Sonic the Hedgehog escapade.

I've gotten frustrated a lot when playing games, but I never complained to the developers to change something. Doesn't that seem like cheating? Rather than working to overcome a challenge, complaining to the developer to lower the bar on the challenge? Heck - we used to compare games we'd beaten, because it used to be a mark of accomplishment to finish a video game.
Be careful up on that high horse lest ye fall off.

While players might not demand flying from games, when a sequel drops a key feature that its predecessor had, people do, in fact, complain, loudly. And typically such games get /really/ !@#$ty ratings.

Imagine, for a moment, if Arkham Origins didn't allow you to glide like Asylum and City did.
12/08/2014 11:20 AMPosted by Petersen
Imagine, for a moment, if Arkham Origins didn't allow you to glide like Asylum and City did.

Good points - although Arkham is a Batman game. Gliding is fundamental to the aesthetic of being Batman. Flight in WoW, however, is not. It would be more like getting rid of Orcs.
12/08/2014 11:20 AMPosted by Petersen
Be careful up on that high horse lest ye fall off.

While players might not demand flying from games, when a sequel drops a key feature that its predecessor had, people do, in fact, complain, loudly. And typically such games get /really/ !@#$ty ratings.

WoD's metacritic user score might go down, WoW is doomed!
12/08/2014 11:21 AMPosted by Mvura
Good points - although Arkham is a Batman game. Gliding is fundamental to the aesthetic of being Batman. Flight in WoW, however, is not.

All my gryphons and drakes would like a word with you.
As someone who has been gaming for at least as long, I can definitely appreciate the "back in my day games were hard!" sentiment. However, game design has come a long way in thirty years. If you go back and play some of those cherished classics (I highly discourage this) you'll find that most of them are poorly balanced with some parts nearly unplayable.

Even games today that ramp up the difficulty like Dark Souls or Super Meat Boy are much more carefully balanced. Yes, they are hard games and yes you will die many many times, but they are designed with that in mind.

Now, we all know that Wow is designed so that most of its content is very accessible. With garrisons providing the essentials from most professions Wow has never been more solo-friendly. In short, the non-instanced part of the game is supposed to be very easy. This is where the sense of entitlement comes from. Bliz created this monster, and now they must deal with it.

By adding flying and then taking it away, a sense of loss was created within the playerbase. Most, it seems, have learned to live with it, but a very vocal minority really has their knickers in a bunch about it. And they have a point because they usually would be getting flying right about now so things could be convenient again. The comparisons you made were not fair because the old-school games didn't usually give you abilities and then take them away. Character power was seldom, if ever, rolled back in those games.
Flight in WoW, however, is not.

There was flying mounts back in Warcraft 3. Anyone remember that? Even though they were limited to specific units, they still had flying mounts.

Just saying. I still don't really care for flying in Draenor, but I wanted to point that out.
12/08/2014 11:25 AMPosted by Benie
Flight in WoW, however, is not.

There was flying mounts back in Warcraft 3. Anyone remember that? Even though they were limited to specific units, they still had flying mounts.

Just saying. I still don't really care for flying in Draenor, but I wanted to point that out.

yep...

You could also click on critters until they exploded...wtf blizzard!
12/08/2014 11:25 AMPosted by Grund
Character power was seldom, if ever, rolled back in those games.

I'd add that games "back in the day" didn't really have a continuation either. Mario 2 was a fundamentally different game than Mario 1.

Or, for example, in Final Fantasy 2 (American Version) you couldn't create characters like you could in Final Fantasy 1 - "classes" went away.