CC, Where?

Mage
Maybe it's just me but I feel like the mage class just has less CC then most other classes
Let me be the first to say that I'm not the greatest mage in the world but in the realm of PVP I feel like every class (maybe not locks) can and does out CC us and with our low mobility we are pretty fragile.

As far as I can count we have
-Counterspell (an interrupt)
- Frost Nova
- Frost Ward
- Sheep
- Cone of Cold/Dragon's Breath
- Slow (assuming your arcane)
- Frost bolt/Frostfire bolt
-deep freeze/slow

Great all of these break on literally a sneeze of damage (Slows excluded but they are generally slowing you so I'm going to chalk that up to a net zero if you're lucky)

So rogues/druids/dks/huntards/warriors have more mobility and CC that does not break on damage and all of them can move while doing their things/murdering me.

Sure we can deal pretty decent damage if we MAX our gear and are entirely ignored in the back, but how rare is that lets be real...

Is there something I am missing about the mage class or are we just taking lumps in PVP and there is nothing to do about it?
12/10/2014 11:00 PMPosted by Vensar
Maybe it's just me but I feel like the mage class just has less CC then most other classes
False
-Counterspell (an interrupt)
That also happens to be the most powerful interrupt in the game (or at least tied for it). Longest lasting lockout.
- Frost Nova
- Frost Ward
Don't forget these are AoE
- Sheep
Which is the best CC in the game. The only 8 sec CC thats spammable currently.
- Cone of Cold/Dragon's Breath
I wouldn't lump CoC and Dragon's breath together. They're two very different mechanics.

Dragons breath is also an AoE incapacitate
-deep freeze
Ranged, instant stun.

You forgot RoF. This is an AoE, spammable 8 sec incapacitate on a different spell school from poly. Try Deep ring > get locked out on RoF > poly instead. I don't think any other class has that potential.

Mage's have some of the best CC in the game right now. Just because it breaks on damage, doesn't mean its terrible.
Poly is far from the best CC in the game because you're forced to use Ice Nova.
Tried a bunch of 2's with as a fire mage earlier today and it was pretty rough. Warriors especially seemed extremely capable of breaking through all my cc's and dodging/pummeling polymorphs, and if they pummel a polymorph I can't blink away, and if they pummel a fire ability I can't do any damage.
12/10/2014 11:24 PMPosted by Arorii
Poly is far from the best CC in the game because you're forced to use Ice Nova.
Haha true, and I see your point. That is one of the key things wrong with the mage design right now. I still think its the best CC in the game though. Ice Nova makes poly a crappy, or impossible, peel mechanic. Our control potential on the healer is still pretty much second to none.
12/10/2014 11:34 PMPosted by Dovekie
Tried a bunch of 2's with as a fire mage earlier today and it was pretty rough. Warriors especially seemed extremely capable of breaking through all my cc's and dodging/pummeling polymorphs, and if they pummel a polymorph I can't blink away, and if they pummel a fire ability I can't do any damage.

Gotta breath-poly those pesky warriors, or juke pummel. I think fire actually has great tools for dealing with melee because of dragon's breath.
Mage cc is still fine realistically.

Deep into sheep or ring on a healer is still a significant cc chain.
Our cc is still strong tbh, the problem is our kit is stuffed with aoe damage for some reason. Prismatic Crystal dr's everyone on poly if you nova it, most fof procs come from orb, etc.

Remove ice nova so that we can actually use frost nova again, remove prismatc crystal as a burst cd instead of a cleave cd, make our shatter combos much stronger to compensate, boom we cast and arent gimmicky, and still have strong cc.
knowing where and when to use it goes a long way.
12/10/2014 11:40 PMPosted by Tiermodim
12/10/2014 11:34 PMPosted by Dovekie

Gotta breath-poly those pesky warriors, or juke pummel. I think fire actually has great tools for dealing with melee because of dragon's breath.

So you're telling me I need to cc so that I can...CC? GTFO!!CRAZYSHIZHAPPENIN