Death Knight Creation Change

General Discussion
1 2 3 23 Next
With availability of the level 90 character boost, we feel the requirement to have a character level 55 or higher to unlock the Death Knight as a playable class is no longer relevant. The plan right now is to remove the limitation sometime next week, at which point players will be able to start a new Death Knight (which still begins at level 55) without first having to reach level 55 on another character.

Update: Upon looking into making this change, we discovered that a few client-side adjustments would need to go through in order for it to work. Therefore, our new plan is to remove the level 55 requirement for Death Knight creation in an upcoming content patch.
Highly Rated
Who's ready for DKs with even less of an idea of what they're doing flooding BC instances?
What an odd change to push through. But, hey, it may just be interesting to see how it plays out.
Highly Rated
12/12/2014 09:04 AMPosted by Karat
Who's ready for DKs with even less of an idea of what they're doing flooding BC instances?

I don't think that is possible.
Highly Rated
12/12/2014 09:01 AMPosted by Nethaera
With availability of the level 90 character boost, we feel the requirement to have a character level 55 or higher to unlock the Death Knight as a playable class is no longer relevant. The plan right now is to remove the limitation sometime next week, at which point players will be able to start a new Death Knight (which still begins at level 55) without first having to reach level 55 on another character.

Can we get rid of the requirement for a level 60 Character to boost Professions to 600 too?
Going through the boring DK start up story is a bit much. Would be lovely to make a new DK and just leave that area. Can you do that? Maybe you can?

Or even better why not allow new 55s in any class?! New hero class would be nice too.
Highly Rated
Yay my class stereotype is going to perpetuated even worse! While you're at it how about some pandaren Death knights. I just wanna shuffle.
Is this so players new to the game can boost a DK? That is the only reason I can see to change it even though it is useless.
Highly Rated
12/12/2014 09:08 AMPosted by Khirn
Yay my class stereotype is going to perpetuated even worse! While you're at it how about some pandaren Death knights. I just wanna shuffle.

Hunters and DKs should form a union
Thought that happened years ago.
Highly Rated
I don't see why people are complaining.

1-55 content is so trivialized, to think for a minute there is some kind of "value" in having raised another toon to 55 before rolling a DK is ludicrous. Players can power through the 1-60 content having no understanding of the underlying class mechanics of any class. Current class mechanics don't even become relevant until 90.

Removing this restriction does not impact anything. It just makes it easier for players to *get* to 90, where the real training happens.
Sad. Face
12/12/2014 09:11 AMPosted by Denile
Is this so players new to the game can boost a DK? That is the only reason I can see to change it even though it is useless.

It is not like the new player won't have a 90 (I'm sure you forgot all about the boost everyone gets right) that right there is a level 55 of another class.
I straight up disagree with this change.
12/12/2014 09:17 AMPosted by Atanae
1-55 content is so trivialized, to think for a minute there is some kind of "value" in having raised another toon to 55 before rolling a DK is ludicrous.

Can't you apply this reasoning to all classes? If you can start this game at lvl 55 then what is the point of the first 55 lvls worth of content? Just delete it all and make 55 the new lvl 1 for all classes.
Meh.
Although raising a toon from 1-55 anymore is practically child's play anymore. You can hit that in a weekend - one day, if you don't mind having your butt go numb.
To make it relevant again, you could raise the requirement to somewhere between 90-100. c:
Highly Rated
Makes sense.

New player joins the game, boosts a character to 90.
He now meets the 55+ requirement to make a DK, without playing any character at all.

This change just removes the need for the new player to do the 90 boost first.