About that MMO-champ poll

General Discussion
12/08/2014 11:03 AMPosted by Milwaukee
12/08/2014 10:58 AMPosted by Kraix
@Grounderps.

Pretty much every non-flying thread gets downvoted into oblivion while pro-flying threads skyrocket with upvotes. There is a very clear trend on the forums indicating that flying is more desired than no flying, and yet you brush it off as a 'minority'.

So explain to me how in the hell an off-site poll that anyone can access without a subscription and can be voted on multiple times is somehow 'the real majority'?

People can reset their modems and vote on the MMO-Champ poll a million times. I seem to remember that being a complaint from Alliance players when their snowmobile didn't win "Azeroth Choppers". Blizz used a website for that which didn't offer the same protections, it seems, against multiple votes as they seem to have here.

I trust the upvotes/downvotes on here more because you can't so easily manipulate those.

Yes, it's only ahead because people are resetting their modems....couldn't possibly be that people enjoy no flying....

Pro-flyer logic.
12/08/2014 11:03 AMPosted by Milwaukee
People can reset their modems and vote on the MMO-Champ poll a million times. I seem to remember that being a complaint from Alliance players when their snowmobile didn't win "Azeroth Choppers". Blizz used a website for that which didn't offer the same protections, it seems, against multiple votes as they seem to have here.

I trust the upvotes/downvotes on here more because you can't so easily manipulate those.

It goes both ways, people could have voted in favour flying a million times. I trust the general consensus behind the poll. No-flying is a better way to go.
I think it's more like pro-flyers are overly dramatic little babies. I never bother downvoting/upvoting posts because it's all meaningless.

If pro-flyers were more level-headed and well-rounded like me, you wouldn't see such a disparity in upvotes/downvotes.

then again, if pro-flyers were well-rounded, they wouldn't be crying over something as insignificant as flying in the first place :)
Upvotes/Downvotes are a horrible mark to go by. I'd argue even worse than an off site poll.

Lets take flying for example cause I'm a glutton for punishment. People who don't like No-flying are more likely to come to the forums and post/vote in these threads to voice their opinions while people who just don't care or who like it are less likely. There is no real incentive to for the second group.

You can not use these threads to determine a majority at all. The only time where there was a clear majority opinion on these forums is when Real ID was going to be added to the forums back in Cataclysm.
OP, do you have a source to back up your claim of being the majority? Or are you just another player with delusions of self worth looking for attention?
@Grounderps.

Pretty much every non-flying thread gets downvoted into oblivion while pro-flying threads skyrocket with upvotes. There is a very clear trend on the forums indicating that flying is more desired than no flying, and yet you brush it off as a 'minority'.

So explain to me how in the hell an off-site poll that anyone can access without a subscription and can be voted on multiple times is somehow 'the real majority'?

- questions the accuracy of offsite poll
- references facebook-style upvotes/downvotes as any kind of proof whatsoever
Pretty much every non-flying thread gets downvoted into oblivion while pro-flying threads skyrocket with upvotes.

People who are upset they are more likely to voice their opinion then those that are content. Any AP Gov & Politics or stats class will teach you this.

Maybe the people who don't like flying don't go into pro flying threads and down vote or report them.
MMO-Champ Poll
on the forums

Nobody that matters cares.

See you on the ground in 6.1
12/08/2014 11:16 AMPosted by Supia
Blizzard could easily implement a voting feature within the UI. Even the Nintendo Wii had one.

And how's that system doing?

In psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental stress or discomfort experienced by an individual who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values at the same time, or is confronted by new information that conflicts with existing beliefs, ideas, or values.[1][2]

Leon Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance focuses on how humans strive for internal consistency. When inconsistency (dissonance) is experienced, individuals tend to become psychologically uncomfortable and they are motivated to attempt to reduce this dissonance, as well as actively avoiding situations and information which are likely to increase it.
@Grounderps.

All flying polls get down voted because people are tired of hearing about it.

How does the fact that you discount the mmo-champ poll and give your opinion of the forums make it the authority?
Anti-fliers don't even have legitimate reasons for why there shouldn't be flying. All you hear is 'I don't like flying' Or 'There shouldn't be flying, this is great!'. I've never hear a single one actually give a why to the whole matter, just that they're the majority and things should go their way.

The majority of people willing to give reasons behind their desires want flight. So as far as we've seen there are only reasons FOR flight and no reasons against it other than trolling.

Less "flying down, ganking, flying away, repeat" not my argument though.
This is mine: The continent was clearly made to not have flying. The certain paths for quests and dailies are fun, elaborate, and at times challenging. It adds a degree of planning ahead and navigation to avoid obstacles and mobs. If there are mobs in the way of a certain thing you want, or place you need to get to, you have to fight them to get there which makes sense if an army is blocking your path. Defeat the army, obtain your rewards instead of flying down, easily obtaining, and leaving.

Another issue I had with flying, and this one will definitely get you pro-fliers riled up. The "phasing" or "loading" of mobs/players. It is incredibly annoying to not be able to see a mob until it is 10 feet away. Flying makes this even worse. Perhaps if I could see everything from an aerial view not have them fade in/out, and vice versa too. If players on the ground could see who was flying above them constantly too, it would be a much better system as a whole, and much more appealing. Also when flying, I tend to shrug off a lot of areas in zones and not fully get to see everything in the detail I can now.

On the latter, the only thing I can think flying being adding, or why you would want it, is quicker travel times, which aren't bad now, and adding an "easy mode" for quests. It comes down to personal preference and opinion. No one decides this debate except the devs, who did a fantastic job at creating a ground mount continent.
ITT: Anti-flyers who can't read, apparently.
@Grounderps.

That poll, nor the forums "upvotes" are representative of a majority opinion. If the general forums were representative the numerous polls on the general forums showing about a 50/50 split would sing a different tune.

But yeah, this forum is also by no means a representative of WoW subscribers, so you're equally as delusional as those posting the MMO-Champ poll.
12/08/2014 11:38 AMPosted by Kraix

12/08/2014 11:33 AMPosted by Wycken
MMO-Champ Poll
on the forums

12/08/2014 11:39 AMPosted by Wycken
12/08/2014 11:38 AMPosted by Kraix

12/08/2014 11:33 AMPosted by Wycken
[quote]MMO-Champ Poll
on the forums

You won't, already unsubbed.
The longer the world goes without the flying the more ridiculousness pops up from both sides.

anti-flyers are hacking an mmo champion poll? really?? why? they already won 6.1.

There are good reasons on both sides of the issue, and there's more than one reason why an mmo-champions poll isn't solid data, but stop with the baseless accusations. There are so many other problems in the real world AND in WoW that take precedence over whether you get places faster.
Here's the issue with your suggestion.

Every account gets one upvote.

Until those upvotes on the threads start to number in, oh, say the thousands, we don't have a proper test group.
EDIT: Okay, because apparently reading comprehension is hard, let me try to state that I'm not saying that these forums are ACTUALLY the true majority, only pointing out the hypocrisy of calling the MMO champion one accurate.

you have to use a lot of pictures and write with crayons for most of the these trolls to understand
12/08/2014 11:40 AMPosted by Kraix
already unsubbed.

Well thanks for telling us. I'm truly sorry that you feel that way. I feel there's more to this game than a flight simulator, but you don't. I hope you change your mind. Cheers.