No flying in 6.1

General Discussion
1 2 3 133 Next
From the Reddit AMA:

WatcherDev 2 points 7 minutes ago

Overall, we’re happy with how ground travel in Draenor has played out thus far, and we’ve heard a lot of feedback to that effect as well, though we of course recognize that there are players who feel differently. We’ll have more to announce about our 6.1 patch plans in the very near future, but as the focus of our endgame outdoor content remains in the main Draenor zones, our reasons for disallowing flight in 6.0 continue to apply in 6.1.

Whether you’re navigating your way to Orumo the Observer in Shattrath Rise, trying to reach a treasure cache atop a column in Spires, or working your way around the ledges encircling The Pit, you’re engaging in gameplay that simply would not exist in a world with unfettered flight. It was never our intent to make large-scale navigation of the world inconvenient, and in 6.1 we’re going to be improving our flight path system to always take the most direct route between two points, even if you have not discovered some of the intermediate nodes.

Please keep the feedback coming – if you’re unhappy with the design, some of the most helpful feedback would be specific examples of situations or systems that feel frustrating without being able to fly in Draenor.

http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/2ob6ut/wow_developer_ama/

The specific question:

http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/2ob6ut/wow_developer_ama/cmlhent

EDIT --
Several comments in the thread have been removed as they were not appropriate for the World of Warcraft forums. As such, the thread is now locked. Please take care when posting to avoid posting commentary that may be construed as derogatory, or could otherwise be reported as being inappropriate. Please keep the discussions civil and constructive. Thank you!

- The Forum Moderation Team
I'm past the point of caring whether we get flight or not. I just want to see the debate gone.
Unsubbing.
Eh, I'm neutral on flying. But I do sense a lot of incoming rage.
As expected.
And yet they continue to sell new flying mounts in the store. This company has no regard for its paying customers. I say let's stop trying to talk sense with them and start writing to the board of directors letting them know our money is walking.

It is very clear that more people want flying back than don't.... but they lie and say oh we have alot of feedback supporting no flying. So they want more feedback? How about on December 7th all those who support flying cancel their accounts for a few days. Maybe that will be enough attention.
No biggie.

It comes (or not) in Draenor when it comes.
My bad.
It's the end of the world as we know it ... the sky is falling ... oh noz ... I'm unsubbing ...

^ All incoming responses.

Stay tuned.
Awesome. I love the exploration feel when you actually have to try to get to objectives instead of just flying there.
Not going to add more game time because of this, account expires in a couple of weeks. They aren't getting my money.

Is there any way to put a cancellation reason with game time? I don't think so? :( I didn't have a subscription active because of the uncertainty with flying.
/sniff

Oh well, maybe the next expansion will allow flying and a boost to that expansion. If not I'll just play though MoP. I didn't buy WoD on my other account.

I don't like Garrisons and I hate the no fly ability, thus I don't play WoD. I have it on this account, but I'm not playing it. When/if they have leveling without Garrisons (dungeons and raids do not count as I don't have time for those,) And they allow flying I'll head into WoD. Otherwise I'll just play up though MoP and stop there.

I love my farm in Half Hill. I do not however like the concept of Garrisons, not interested in crafting, don't want to have to fuss with it. I can farm in Half Hill if I wish or just ignore it. Basically the farm has nothing that has to do with reaching lvl 90. Whereas Garrisons are pretty much mandatory, especially if you don't/can't do dungeons/raids.

I didn't like Sim City either. Which is what Garrisons remind me of. I'm not interested in followers, nor sending them on "missions" so? Eh, not interesting to me at all.

I decided I would go ahead and suffer through it on one alt, but then they don't have flying...and that was just it. I have limited dedicated play time. I actually have a life off game = work, family, pets...This game is my fun time. Can't do anything fun? Don't play that part.
If people are unsubbing due to something as simple as this, then they were actively looking for a reason to stop playing.
Im already unsubed not for lack of flying but, Lack of fun, this is just the icing on the cake. I hope this expansion tanks hard. They did not remove flight "for the players immersion" they removed it to cut cost down the road.

When a company gets this big, they are like the US Government they dont do a damn thing "for the people" its all about there interests.
I wouldn't mind the no-flight thing if ground travel wasn't so inconvenient in certain areas. Gorgrond, for example, can be very difficult to navigate, and the packs of elites patrolling the road to Highmaul are annoying to deal with. These obstacles don't make for an interesting challenge—they're just speed bumps designed to momentarily impede travel. If they aren't going to add flight, fine, but at least make it a little easier to get around on the ground.