Did you play ret in TBC and Classic?

Paladin
I remember never being taken for Heroic pugs, or having pugs leaving a mostly-guild run due to my "LOLRET!!!"

It sucked and I missed out, but I still had a lot of fun.

Once in a very rare while the stars and planets would align, and my auto & CS would proc SoC, everything would crit, and opponents would be absolutely obliterated within a couple seconds.

Add to that the OH SO PLEASANT ((WHOMP)) sound a 2H mace crit would make.

Favorite one still comes from late Season 3 running Ret/Arms/Resto Shaman. We had just gotten ready to switch to the rogue on their team (it was WRD if i remember right) and no sooner did i switch then the magical RNG stars aligned. CS crit, SoC Crit, White Crit and WF Crit all at once took the rogue from 100% to 5% health. I remember my shaman next going "WTF Did you do to him and why can't you do that more often?!"

The other big one that occured was the fun times involving reck bombs in Vanilla, especially against rogues but those are too many to count and elaborate on story wise.
Well I must say that it feels nice to have seen this thread take off like it has, and the lack of trolls has really made it that much better.
Started it halfway through BC. Loved it. I feel current ret is worse than s3 and 4 by means of fun and usefulness.
Since 04.

TBC was the worst by far. Classic and WOTLK both had their ups and downs. Cata is pretty fun so far.

Too lazy to put in more details.
I loved the old days!
it was fun to micro manage your gear, so walk a fine line between caster and melee stats
I had 8k mana as ret during BC
could stand toe to toe DPS raiding kara with rogues and mages
in pvp, nobody would expect the dmg I would deal and people would get soooo angry because they could never burn me down after I started to spam heal myself
I would just wear them down lol
*misty eyed*
memories...
one bonus point being a pally is that... every expac I get a new class :D
Ret paladin since release day.

Used to get respect for being pretty much the only level 60 ret paladin capable of owning in pvp.

Wrath rolled around, and everyone and their brother rolled a retadin. I still owned in pvp, but instead of the respect, i got flamed for playing my class.

Now the class is hard to play again, and i see the wotlk baddies crying and running off to other toons.

Makes me smile knowing i might get respect back for playing ret.
I remember casting BoK on the raid. And may taking my IBS and trying to auto attack another class down then failing miserably. But maybe it was because paladin raid gear only came in healing spec.
I was actually specced Ret for most of classic, but when it came to raids I healed even though my spec was ret. We were the top guild on the server for a while and I was decked out in gear so I was actually a ret pvp beast. I loved just 1 and 2 shotting whoever I wanted because the horde on our server at the time were terrible at raiding and barely had any gear. Later in vanilla I specced holy and healbotted our guilds MT in BGs and we stomped everyone with ease. Those were the good ole days.

edit: I would also like to add that before my paladin even hit 60 and I was level 55 I 1v1'd one of our guilds top dps warriors who was of course 60 at the time and in some epics and I still pulled out the win. I played Ret like no other ;)
For a good chunk of classic, ret was the way to go. BoK was the 31-point ret talent. That said, most of the time you sat behind the mob auto-attacking since that was our source of damage while spamming cleanse and re-blessing, if you weren't on healing duty. 20 points in holy got you every tool you needed to raid heal, so 20/0/31 or some variant thereof was pretty much the raiding build.

Cross-proccing was freaking sweet. Ravager was, hilariously enough, one of the nastiest DPS weapons in the game for a ret paladin until maybe BWL. Put fiery on that sucker and watch the numbers fly; it had a slow enough weapon speed the proc chance on SoC was right around 45%, and the whirlwind proc was basically a 16% haste buff. Fiery, SoC, and weapon procs all could proc each other.

I was ret up until 1.8 or so, then I switched to the zalgradis 4/26/21 build, then went 30/0/21 when 1.9 hit. When BC came out, I went prot and never looked back until 3.0, when I was ret for about two months.
CLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSEISCHROMAGGUSDEADYET!?!?CLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSECLEANSE
I remember the only time i would judge was when i had seal of command up and my target was stunned.

oh those days.
Seal of Blood... how I miss you.
Rocked the Ice Barbed Spear, and stole a pair of Valor shoulders.

Those EPL bats didn't know what hit 'em.
Played my paladin since BC came out. I never played on alliance before it so I was never able to enjoy the oh so wonderful pre bc nonsense with paladins. I still got the chance to enjoy the rest of the hatred towards our spec though =o

I raided in all of the raids up to Sunwell (didn't get to experience too much of it sadly) as ret, and have stuck with the spec through the bad and the OP (3.0 Ret and nothing else).

The only thing i miss about "the good old days (rofl)" was reckbombing with a 2h weapon, that was pretty fun
12/17/2010 5:53 PMPosted by Sarannah
For a good chunk of classic, ret was the way to go. BoK was the 31-point ret talent. That said, most of the time you sat behind the mob auto-attacking since that was our source of damage while spamming cleanse and re-blessing, if you weren't on healing duty. 20 points in holy got you every tool you needed to raid heal, so 20/0/31 or some variant thereof was pretty much the raiding build.

Yep, that was my spec too.

Cross-proccing was freaking sweet. Ravager was, hilariously enough, one of the nastiest DPS weapons in the game for a ret paladin until maybe BWL. Put fiery on that sucker and watch the numbers fly; it had a slow enough weapon speed the proc chance on SoC was right around 45%, and the whirlwind proc was basically a 16% haste buff. Fiery, SoC, and weapon procs all could proc each other.

I also had the ravager. That will always be my favorite weapon. My second fave is TUF for the stun proc and back then we got a free crit from JoC when our target was stunned. Well, that was after they buffed us because our seal of command originally did like 38 damage whenever our target was stunned ROFL.

I still have my Holy Mightstone and the Barov Peasant Caller trinket in the bank. :/
I loved letting a rogue crit me to his hearts content only to HoJ and unleash a fat reckoning bomb on him.

21 holy 30 ret was the way to go when you had Judgement and a ZHC.

The good ol'days