Rogers ISP, WoW, and you!

Technical Support
Prev 1 9 10 11 23 Next
Playing from Toronto here... problems started about a week ago... I'm Rogers also.

Latency used to be 150ish.. now it sits around 650 and spikes as high as 3000 on a consistant basis... it's making WoW pretty much unplayable D:
Ugh, been experiencing this since I came back. I'm getting disconnected every 5 minutes or sometimes every 10 minutes if I'm lucky. Really wish Rogers would do something, but I'm not holding my breath. I might have to cancel next month if this is not resolved. It's not Blizzard's fault, but the game is completely unplayable like this. It's highly frustrating.

Perhaps it's time to start looking into Bell.
Been reading through the thread and I must thank you Ressie for everything you've been doing for Rogers users. Hopefully they'll do something EVENTUALLY. Sigh.
My bad. I thought speed boost started it all.

so whats the official, or working fix to this?
Thanks for the thread guys, I was going nuts thinking it was my modem or computer.
I haven't had the d/c issues but like the rest of u, my latency is crazy. starts off ok for a few mins then its up to 350-500, with spikes between 1-4K.

Its made the game basically unplayable, can't cast a thing and everyone dies.

I'll head to the rogers forums posted in this thread and send in my complaint to Rogers,
thanks again for posting all the info,

Ally
So what is gonna happen. I also within the last week have never been able to raid its making it completely impossible for me to perform well. Anyone know what to do or where to go to fix this/complain or if they already did.
Bump....I think this needs to be seen more by users of Rogers that also experience this problem and are unaware of what is happening
I've been playing the last few days. Now maybe it's because I went into the downloader settings and disabled P2P, maybe I'm just about to Jynx it... but the last few days I haven't had any issues. It could also be the times I've been playing at... around 3-5pm EST. and then again between 11pm-3am EST. Could they have fixed it? or am I just getting lucky on my play times? :o
03/14/2011 1:23 PMPosted by Ellenya
I've been playing the last few days. Now maybe it's because I went into the downloader settings and disabled P2P

You should not have to disable your downloader to play WoW, period. The fact that Canadian ISPs are so irresponsible about how they treat P2P technologies is embarrassing at best, insidious at worst. There are legitimate uses for P2P technologies the fact that ISPs and old school media outlets have demonized P2P for the general public is unconscionable.

My wife and I are having huge latency issues right now and are about to start our half hour trial of wowtunnels to see if it alleviates the latency. Again, another **%@ty measure that we may have to undertake to circumvent the issue but what else are we left to do?

BTW - We just turned off the downloader from our options and my wifes latency jumped to 4k once she logged back in. YMMV

Edit: Strike that part about using wowtunnels...just found http://www.wowtunnels.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=785&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10 great, now what do I do???
I had enough of Rogers as well. Logging in at 5:00pm tonight to 1500 latency was the last straw. I expected to be throttled later in the evening but when they are doing it 24/7, with no fix in sight, I had enough.

I made the call to Bell and it will be installed Wed afternoon.

Another long-time customer of Rogers lost to their greed.
Starting experiencing issues a week ago. Not your traditional lag...just freezes when trying to cast spells and such. Definately pointed me to an upload issue, and ended up here. Complained to Rogers and got this (names removed):

Dear Mr. ,

My name is . Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we appreciate your use of online customer service.

WoW traffic uses very little network resources, whereas P2P traffic can use up to 90% of the pipe. A decision to restrict use of upstream bandwidth was made for P2P-specific TCP headers so that available bandwidth will always be there for other applications as well.

This issue only occurred after Blizzard updated the "behavior" of their specific game packets. When they realized many ISPs that had policies on throttling P2P traffic began to complain, they also began to work with their engineers on a fix for the issue. Unfortunately a patch for this issue has not yet been released through Blizzard, but we hope one will soon be out.

If you require further assistance, or have any questions or comments you may also try Rogers Live Chat - an agent is standing by to assist you online:

http://rogershelp.com/livesupport-v6/?queueID=17

If you wish to continue corresponding via email, please contact us at:

internetsupport@rci.rogers.com

Sincerely,

Hi-Speed Internet Electronic Support Group Customer Support: http://help.yahoo.com/rogers Email:internetsupport@rci.rogers.com

ogersCustomerCare@rci.rogers.com

Sounds like it won't be fixed anytime soon.

Have been a Rogers customer for 10+ years. In 48 hours, that will be it for me if its not fixed.
Corto, the employee doesn't know what they're talking about. Blizzard doesn't use P2P for gameplay, and never has. They've made no changes on their end to 'fix' the issue for ISPs. Rogers employees are really kept in the dark, and being fed bad information from their higher-ups who are trying to offload blame onto Blizzard for their screwup.

You might want to read my thread on the Rogers forum:
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/557
Corto, the employee doesn't know what they're talking about. Blizzard doesn't use P2P for gameplay, and never has. They've made no changes on their end to 'fix' the issue for ISPs. Rogers employees are really kept in the dark, and being fed bad information from their higher-ups who are trying to offload blame onto Blizzard for their screwup.

You might want to read my thread on the Rogers forum:
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/557

That being said, if this is what they are telling there support team it pretty much means they are doing nothing about it. what a smack in the face, the EXTREMELY low caps isnt bad enough they need to throttle our connections to oblivion? If i wasnt stuck with them i would have already changed isp.
This game is basically unplayable for me with Rogers right now. After 5pm, I get constant pings of 300-400ms minimum, with lag spikes of 5000ms or more.

Can't arena, or raid, or even do dailies. It's a sad state of affairs.
Looks like it times to cancel my WoW account sadly. Goddamn Rogers, I had a Rogers employee swear at me lastnight because I wanted a date or some kinda of estimate on when this was going to be fixed. Bells internet is just way to slow but Rogers is just too difficult. AUghhhh damn..For those people complaining now and getting this issue, I have put up with this full on DC crap since the very beginning which was back in October.
03/18/2011 7:30 AMPosted by Rottenryan
Looks like it times to cancel my WoW account sadly. Goddamn Rogers, I had a Rogers employee swear at me lastnight because I wanted a date or some kinda of estimate on when this was going to be fixed. Bells internet is just way to slow but Rogers is just too difficult. AUghhhh damn..For those people complaining now and getting this issue, I have put up with this full on DC crap since the very beginning which was back in October.

I switched to Teksavvy. Uses Rogers lines, cheaper, better latency, and no packet shaping..

Only problem is right now they're congested in Toronto, and waiting on Rogers to put in some more upgrades to be able to handle more traffic.

I'm on the York POI with Teksavvy (North York side of the North York/Scarberia border), and because its congested, I'm getting 1/1 during peak (vs the 15/1 I'm paying for, but wow & sc2 are still semi-playable). I do get 28/1 non-peak though. 2 weeks or so til Rogers finishes the upgrades.
Me and my brother have been having this issue for 2 and a half weeks or so. Ive tried multiple tweaks and different TCP/IP settings and could never "fully" get rid of the issue, but made it a bit better.

I don't play WoW often, usually only to log on and raid, but my brother came to me a couple days ago saying "OMFG the lag is gone". We both raided last night at 80ms without a single spike in latency. We did however d/c twice over a span of 4 hours, which isn't bad but it never used to happen before. BUT there were some settings I changed on our router.

I totally disabled the Firewall (ive tried it multiple times but usually made no difference). But then I decided to disable all the VPN Passthrough options, which I thought would cause more issues... but nope... Now I dunno if doing those things fixed the issue for me and my bro or Rogers finally did something, but either way... we have 0 issues with WoW atm (knock on wood).

Oh and to all those people who switch ISP's because of 1 video game, thats just sad you know. Id cancel my WoW sub before totally switching ISP's. Go play a different game or something geeze.
Starting experiencing issues a week ago. Not your traditional lag...just freezes when trying to cast spells and such. Definately pointed me to an upload issue, and ended up here. Complained to Rogers and got this (names removed):

Dear Mr. ,

My name is . Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we appreciate your use of online customer service.

WoW traffic uses very little network resources, whereas P2P traffic can use up to 90% of the pipe. A decision to restrict use of upstream bandwidth was made for P2P-specific TCP headers so that available bandwidth will always be there for other applications as well.

This issue only occurred after Blizzard updated the "behavior" of their specific game packets. When they realized many ISPs that had policies on throttling P2P traffic began to complain, they also began to work with their engineers on a fix for the issue. Unfortunately a patch for this issue has not yet been released through Blizzard, but we hope one will soon be out.

If you require further assistance, or have any questions or comments you may also try Rogers Live Chat - an agent is standing by to assist you online:

<a href="http://rogershelp.com/livesupport-v6/?queueID=17">http://rogershelp.com/livesupport-v6/?queueID=17</a>

If you wish to continue corresponding via email, please contact us at:

internetsupport@rci.rogers.com

Sincerely,

Hi-Speed Internet Electronic Support Group Customer Support: http://help.yahoo.com/rogers Email:internetsupport@rci.rogers.com

ogersCustomerCare@rci.rogers.com

Sounds like it won't be fixed anytime soon.

Have been a Rogers customer for 10+ years. In 48 hours, that will be it for me if its not fixed.

Sadly, that representative seems to be slightly misinformed. This issue has nothing to do with the type or content of WoW traffic, at all. We don't use p2p in game, period. We also use the same registered ports we have been since November of 2009. It is definitely disheartening to see that type of uninformed response, as it indicates that there is a serious disconnect occurring at multiple levels.

We still hold hope that your ISP will be willing to respond to our contact requests. We have sent numerous emails over the past few months, and I regret to inform you that I haven't seen a reply come back yet. Our network engineers are still politely requesting an open dialog so that we can assist your ISP with information specific to our network traffic that may help them properly configure their traffic management systems and end this issue. I still hold hope that they may reply at some point in the future.

Tigers love pepper... they hate cinnamon.
Let me know how I'm doing! :) - http://www.surveymk.com/s/RMW9Y6X