Rogers ISP, WoW, and you!

Technical Support
Prev 1 4 5 6 23 Next
Still experiencing disconnects? I am.
12/22/2010 4:17 PMPosted by Alligators
I called both rogers and blizzard didn't get much help from either

Of course not - same here with my Australian connection. Seems to be the ISP culture.

With all intelligence intact I would not expect Blizzard ringing up all the ISPs covered in their 12 million user base. How would they know? I also informed them of the lack of response from my ISP on the matter. But of course Blizzard is not the customer of my Australian ISP. I AM.

Get real.

Like I said. You have two choices. Change ISP or file a complaint with your Govt. agency.

For me, well I know they have the evil DPI Management system in place. They either have to remove it or I go elsewhere - currently I am comparing plans.
Hi guys and gals, I'm having this same problem for about 6 weeks, I live in South Western Ontario, and my ISP is Rogers. I only have problems when BitTorrent is actively downloading/seeding(basically, if any peers are connected). Can you guys try turning off your BitTorrent applications and see if that helps? I really want to hear back from some of you regarding this.

Remember, sometimes BitTorrent applications can be "hiding", that is, in your system tray, beside the clock - which will hide unused icons(including bittorrent) after a certain period of time. You may not even know you still have torrents seeding! Click the little arrow down in the system tray, beside the clock, to show all the applications loaded down there. Make sure BitTorrent isn't running on ANY computer on your internet connection, see if this helps!

Please, respond and let me know! I find when I turn off BitTorrent everything is fine, the moment any computer in the house loads it up and starts downloading, I have roughly 2-5 minutes before I'm disconnected from WoW. The disconnects don't stop until I shut down BitTorrent, either.

Please, try this out and respond!

Naturally, Rogers takes their typical approach of denying any knowledge of there being any problem on their end. But that's OK, we don't need Rogers to acknowledge there's a problem on their end for us to know there definitely IS A PROBLEM!
The DCs are less frequent now, they only happen after 6PM or so. Hopefully this whole issue will resolve, if not I'm just gonna cancel my subscription. I contacted my ISP (Teksavvy) but they say there's nothing wrong with them and that it could be a problem with blizzard.

Naturally, Rogers takes their typical approach of denying any knowledge of there being any problem on their end. But that's OK, we don't need Rogers to acknowledge there's a problem on their end for us to know there definitely IS A PROBLEM!

Exactly what Rogers does, thank God I left them a while ago.
12/23/2010 11:22 AMPosted by Ysosrs
Hi guys and gals, I'm having this same problem for about 6 weeks, I live in South Western Ontario, and my ISP is Rogers. I only have problems when BitTorrent is actively downloading/seeding(basically, if any peers are connected). Can you guys try turning off your BitTorrent applications and see if that helps? I really want to hear back from some of you regarding this.

Remember, sometimes BitTorrent applications can be "hiding", that is, in your system tray, beside the clock - which will hide unused icons(including bittorrent) after a certain period of time. You may not even know you still have torrents seeding! Click the little arrow down in the system tray, beside the clock, to show all the applications loaded down there. Make sure BitTorrent isn't running on ANY computer on your internet connection, see if this helps!

Please, respond and let me know! I find when I turn off BitTorrent everything is fine, the moment any computer in the house loads it up and starts downloading, I have roughly 2-5 minutes before I'm disconnected from WoW. The disconnects don't stop until I shut down BitTorrent, either.

Please, try this out and respond!

This isn't going to help much because Rogers has confirmed that it does happen under certain circumstances (see one of my posts a few pages bacl). A few reps at Rogers have also told people to simply stop using BitTorrent when they want a solid connection.
Hopefully the Net Neutrality that they're working on will fix some of these issues, as it will become "wrong" for ISPs to throttle certain connections.

Or on the flip side, we might all be screwed.
12/18/2010 10:42 AMPosted by Drezbek
Be aware, though, that using any tunneling service isn't supported. It's not prohibited, but it can present issues if you change IP addresses often, which can get your account locked.

If you get your account locked all you do is open your email and click on the link to unlock it. You have to change your p/w and you're back in.

Its an automated email generated by the computer so that in theory you can change your IP all day and still get in as long as you go and unlock your account via your email no problem.
Gotta keep this thread bumped!
my disconnect problems mysteriously disappeared yesterday, has it been fixed for anyone else ?
bamp!

Ps, not sure if it's fixed or not because I try and keep my vpn connected at all times. however it disconnected earlier today and I didn't drop but I'm pretty sure i started lagging a bit because of it.
I'm still experiencing a few DCs but there far less frequent than before.

Shifthead, does your VPN work good?
So someone who lives in the same house as I do (rented apartments) likes to torrent randomly -- I have no control over this and as a result I have to suffer by being unable to play wow during this time..

Rogers I hate you

Getting Rogered by Rogers again
I've never gotten disconnected when my VPN is running.
Scratch that, I got disconnected today for no reason even though my VPN was still connected.
now i'm always disconnected after 8PM EST, its pretty annoying but throughout the day it doesn't disconnect. fix this !**! please, im going crazy
I'm a Rogers customer living in St.John's NL. I haven't had any of the disconnection problems that it seems everyone has been having but I know that when I go to download anything using P2P (Bit-torrent) I cannot stay connected to WoW. I'll log in and just start running in place, eventually disconnecting. Soon as I close it, the problem goes away and I'm able to play again with no problems.
i'm using hotspot shield now, and it's pretty good so far. only problem is my latency goes up to like 400 when i usually have less than 100ms. atleast its better than constant DCs
well my ISP is being throttled by Bell. they also happen to throttle some VPN/SSH tunneling services, which is why wowtunnels wasn't working for me. the only fix is switching to cable or setting up some MLPPP (not sure what that is, not too tech savvy yet :D )

btw, my isp is teksavvy