Thinking about Emerald Dream? Read This! v2.0

Emerald Dream
1 2 3 5 Next
Greetings travelers! Thank you for taking the time to look at Emerald Dream. Please feel free to read this guide in full detail to decide if you are right for our realm. Don't skim - it's important to make sure you are able to give back to this realm as much - if not more - than it gives to you!

Before you find yourself $27.23 poorer than you were yesterday, take a look at some of the most commonly asked questions we see on an almost-daily basis!:

Please let me know if any of this information isn't correct, is outdated, or simply needs to be added, and I'll edit it accordingly.

Lets answer the more difficult questions first:
"Is Emerald Dream right for me?":
This question really should be, "Am I right for Emerald Dream?". Emerald Dream has its own unique flavor in that we are both an RP server and a PvP server. That doesn't mean that we are mainly RP with a little bit of PvP thrown in or vice-versa. We are as much an RP realm as we are a PvP realm.

How you fit in to that description is entirely up to you.

"How is the RP here?":
It depends how you look at it - if you're coming from a PvP or PvE server, it will be quite a bit more prevalent (I can't recall seeing open RP on any of my PvP-realm stints). If you're coming from a dedicated RP server, it probably won't be as prevalent. But regardless, it's still here, and we're doing our best to keep it alive and well.

Admittedly, most of the true RP is guild-centric, but not exclusive to anyone. In other words, you may not just up and stumble across 10 random players RPing together. Instead, you're more likely to envelope yourself in an RP group if you start introducing yourself to well-known RP guilds, so you can tag along when they host events. Or better yet, become a part of their guild so you can host your own.

Emerald Dream RP is what you make it.

Side note: Hop into the RP channels on Horde/Alliance and give it a spin (/join RP).

"What is an RP-PVP realm?":
RP-PvP servers were opened at subscribers’ request. Prior to the opening of this type of server, players had to choose between RP-PvE servers or pure PvP servers, often splitting time between realm types to satisfy both areas of interest.

In other words, an RP-PvP realm such as Emerald Dream is not a realm designed for players to partake in only RP or only PvP.
RP-PvP servers were created in response to roleplayers that wished to play with the PvP ruleset. It is not a request, but an expectation, that veterans, transfers, and new players alike be well-versed and capable in both.

As mentioned above, if you do not satisfy that criteria, please invest your time elsewhere on a more suitable realm!

"How is the PvE here?":
Generally pretty decent. Long-time PvE'ers will tell you that "PvE comes to Emerald Dream to die", but we have countless guilds clearing normal-mode raids on both Horde and Alliance and quite a few conquering several bosses in Heroic and a handful have Heroic/Mythic bosses on farm.

PS - Pre-emptive grats to all guilds competing for realm-firsts. WIll update with the first full Heroic/Mythic clear for the expansion! Best of luck to everyone!

If you're a hardcore dragonslayer, please take a look at where other guilds are and decide for yourself, in comparison to your server, where we're at:

20-Man Mythic Progression Sticky:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415131707

Continued....
Moving on...

"How is the PvP here?":
For those interested in PvP, please pay close attention.

Rated PvP-
Emerald Dream is no Tichondrius. However, we have plenty of players here - and by proxy - guilds that have 2200+ and/or Gladiator-level players in large quantities. If you're an upper-echelon player that wants to find a home and can respect the fact that Emerald Dream is - at its core - an RP realm, then you'll find a home pretty quickly here.

WPvP-
If you're looking primarily for small-scale RP-PvP or WPvP, Emerald Dream is struggling to remain healthy. Though it's simmered down a bit since the advent of phasing to help alleviate server pressure, we still have a handful of guilds working together to promote PvP and several areas (namely cities and Azeroth hubs) where WPvP tends to flare up. Join the WPvP and WorldDefense channels, and more often than not, something will need defending.

One thing to note, however, is that faction imbalance has started to affect our realm on a scale not seen before. If you're interested in partaking in WPvP, please look elsewhere unless you have the intention to promote a healthy environment for all. We are in need of more Horde players willing to balance the numbers, since the mass influx of Alliance transfers and faction changes.

Keep in mind, through all that, that Emerald Dream isn't your only choice for a realm that's strong in WPvP. Bleeding Hollow is another excellent realm with an abundance of WPvP, and if you're not down with the whole RP aspect of Emerald Dream, please look into them more. Their forums can be found here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1180712/

Allow me to repeat that last sentence:
If you are not okay with RP or are not willing to give RP a fair shot every bit as much as you would PvE or PvP, please give Bleeding Hollow a shot. Don't transfer here and regret it!

"What's the population like?":
Across all levels, the population is pretty even, but don't let that fool you.
Amongst level 100 characters, Emerald Dream has faced a drastic shift in population, heavily favoring the Alliance, at least at the beginning of WoD.

Keep in mind that many long-term players have taken it upon themselves to shuffle both their own characters and their guilds in order to attempt to preserve Emerald Dream's faction ratios. With recent transfers and faction changes, this is becoming increasingly difficult to do.

As such, please think twice before coming here in the name of PvP; we are not the same realm that we were just a few months ago.

Realm stats according to RealmPop (for level 100s on Emerald Dream-US): UPDATED 09/09/2015
- Alliance: 38,643 (56.4%)
- Horde: 29,883 (43.6%)

As typical for Emerald Dream, the Horde faction has improved slightly from a 2:1 ratio months ago, as many players moved back from Alliance to Horde.

"What is community like?":

In as few words as possible: tightly knit.

We know who one another are; our characters and guilds have rivalries, Kill-On-Sight lists, and there's even hatred held between certain players (you know who you are). In other words, if you're a great person, and give back to the community, people will know who you are.

Likewise, if you spam Trade chat with an arena rating you bought, make cat-calls at women over Vent/Skype, and are an unwarranted elitist, people will know who you are. And (especially with these folks) we don't often forgive, and we don't forget.

Know it, expect it, embrace it.

Still have more questions and don't know who to ask? Try adding a few of us on BattleTag:

Anagram#1743 (This is Aeterna)
For anyone else interested in being a contact, please let him know - there are certainly authorities on different subjects out there other than myself!

Though the activity levels have dropped significantly, Emerald Dream moderated off-site forums can be found at:
http://emeralddrama.com/

Please come check it out, I promise you won't regret it! Come be a part of the community!
Helpful links:

For a brief (albeit outdated) History on Emerald Dream:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Server:Emerald_Dream_US

Maralah's Roleplaying Guide:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1083360039

Maralah's RP-PvP FAQ Thread:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1074267998

Drambouie's RP Character Profiles:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1127158289

Zappie's List of Roleplaying Guilds:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1074098449

Kayleina's RP Lore Advisors (great to check out if you want to make backstories!):
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15537965862

Bebbit's Guild Listings (very important to check out if you're looking at coming over alone!)
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10587899023
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15140654133

Side Note: Major props to Bebbit for keeping this sticky neat and updated, please pay it forward! Check it out!

Final Word from Aeterna:

I would encourage every player interested in coming over to Emerald Dream to check it out for themselves. I was recently in a TeamSpeak channel with Darkspear players praising the World PvP that was awaiting them on Emerald Dream.

Simply put, I - as a native Emerald Dream player - was a little taken aback by all these glorious stories they were telling. Don't buy into the hype. Come here to experience it yourself, because things like to be blown out of proportion both negatively and positively.

Similarly, if you're a capable PvPer, don't be put off by the RP ruleset of the server. I am an avid PvPer both in WPvP and rated play like Arenas and RBGs. But I am - at my core - an RPer. If you are one but not the other, don't be put off by the realm type. But, at the very minimum, have an express (and genuine) interest in taking part in both scenes. RP is what fuels our PvP, not the other way around.

After all, Emerald Dream is what you make it. We are an RP-PvP server, and both myself and others are invested in it's continuing health. Please be part of the solution, not the problem!

Credits and Honorable Mentions:
Livyani - For keeping the original thread afloat
Bebbit - For updating and maintaining the most up-to-date sticky
Hanif - For multiple ED stickies
Defenestrate - For keeping up with PvE progression on-point
Zappie - For being Zappie
Nice man. Liked and Stickied.
12/17/2014 07:32 PMPosted by Aeterna
How'd I do? ;)

good work
How do you request sticky...my sticky button is not clickable
it's been stuck
12/17/2014 08:57 PMPosted by Aeterna
Ouch the spam downvotes are real! Not sure why. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Put in a ticket about the sticky issue though, hoping to hear a response back.

I cant click on it either, but when you hover over the button it reads "Sticky Requested"
"
12/17/2014 09:09 PMPosted by Biggy
12/17/2014 08:57 PMPosted by Aeterna
Ouch the spam downvotes are real! Not sure why. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Put in a ticket about the sticky issue though, hoping to hear a response back.

I cant click on it either, but when you hover over the button it reads "Sticky Requested"
"
Its to prevent unnecessary reports from going out to the Mods.

Just be sure whoever made the original sticky mentioned that the old thread needs to be unstickied - some Mods are particular about that sort of thing.
12/17/2014 06:06 PMPosted by Aeterna
Emerald Dream is no Tichondrius. However, we have plenty of players here - and by proxy - guilds that have 2200+ and/or Gladiator-level players in large quantities. If you're an upper-echelon player that wants to find a home and can respect the fact that Emerald Dream is - at its core - an RP realm, then you'll find a home pretty quickly here.

In reality nobody in the upper brackets cares for RP, it's either they give crap to role-players or they don't.
Read the whole thing and I don't RP. Though I've been on this server since s9, the very beginning of Cataclysm and I have great respect for a lot of players and RP guilds on the server. We have a great community on ED. It well populated, but everyone knows everyone. Like you said, "tightly knit"