Why it isn't working: kiting

Mage
12/23/2014 05:22 PMPosted by Kîrà
Gorefiends grasp is their possible second grip and with the current damage output, without a healer you are forced to burn IB or waste an escape or face a lot of damage.

you will never find a pvp dk running gorfiends grasp. it would be like seeing a mage use evanesce in pvp
Ive seen a few this season so far actually, they were in skirmishes and normal BGs but they were there lol.
Point is, they have access to it if they choose, same with warriors double charge - we have access to nothing, regardless of how bad it might possibly be
12/23/2014 05:48 PMPosted by Kîrà
, regardless of how bad it might possibly be

well if thats your stance you should spec alter time and glyph of rapid displacement

those make as much sense as a dk using gorfiends grasp.
Missing the point
Point is the gap closers are there, whether they decide to choose them or not (which some do)
12/24/2014 06:39 PMPosted by Kîrà
Missing the point
Point is the gap closers are there, whether they decide to choose them or not (which some do)

the point YOU are missing, is the gap openers are there, whether you decide to choose them or not (which some do, nah jk, no one using alter time or rapid displacement because theyre crappy choices.)

Also, if you can find me 1 dk on the ladder in any bracket specced for Gorfiends i would be shocked.
Last season gorefeinds was almost mandatory for DKs to go with solar beam for a mass silence/snare
There are a few comps this season that still do this and i still see it from time to time. It has its place
12/24/2014 07:35 PMPosted by Kîrà
Last season gorefeinds was almost mandatory for DKs to go with solar beam for a mass silence/snare

....no...

most teams stopped using gorefiends when it started DR'ing typhoon/thunderstorm/explosive trap

the only exception was on EOTS where you had scumlords who would gorfiend their gargoyle or undead pet in an attempt to DC you or glitch you into walls or under the map.

But that was last season. This season, there's no point to using Gorfiends.

12/24/2014 07:35 PMPosted by Kîrà
There are a few comps this season that still do this and i still see it from time to time. It has its place

No it doesnt.
12/24/2014 06:43 PMPosted by Vayris
the point YOU are missing, is the gap openers are there, whether you decide to choose them or not (which some do, nah jk, no one using alter time or rapid displacement because theyre crappy choices.)

I used rapid displacement....as arcane...in ashran...with tome of blink...trollolol ;p

Honestly though, there are too many damn gap closers in the game...if you want to take out some of my openers in exchange so be it. However, I think the biggest problem probably is indeed our inability to kite. I mean, it's basically the same as an interrupt/silence on a melee(similar to disarm). We're far too exposed anymore. I understand that there are mages pushing 1900+ but the skill floor is so damn high on mage it wouldn't surprise me if it's only a notch away from the ceiling and our potential is quite a bit less than certain other classes.
Part two: why it isn't working
The second reason is the higher number of ranged damage available to melee classes. We use kiting as a way to outdamage a melee, the more we outdamage them with it, the more rewarding kiting is. However, any time a melee deals ranged damage, that reward is diminished. If the overall ranged mobile damage of a melee (dots and pets included) reaches values close to those of a mage, then the other reward of kiting becomes negligible.

[/quote]
Today i played an arena with a rogue against a ret and a healer.
The palladin ran after me 100% of the time, but was never in melee range. (not even close)
I used ice barrier every time the CD was up but...
He killed me.
not once was he in melee range.
healer didnt attack or even target me once.

its like a really bad joke, but i pay actual money for it.
glad i have a hunter now.
Agreed.

The mage no longer feels mage-like. With the progressive loss of our toolkit (abilities) we have lost our essence and are a class now stuck in a state that seems utterly alien to what it once was. I feel that the mage has been decaying in such a way since wotlk.

Mages have never been easier to play than we are now, we are so simple that the class has become dull. I would still find the mage awful if we were performing more competitively while using the same toolkit.

The mage class needs complexity, however hard that may be to implement due to other class balance issues.

-Make mana mean something for all specs (all classes ideally), a mage with mana should be dangerous.
-Frost/Fire Ward (never liked Mage Ward) + the reflect/mana gain (glyph based?)
-Cone of Cold for all specs
-Arcane explosion/Blizzard/Flamestrike for all specs
-Ice Lance for all specs
-Evocation + healing glyph for all specs (does not stack with ice block heal)
-Mana Shield Baseline
-Mana Gems (needed if mages are to worry about mana)
- Water ele on CD
-Frost bolt to deal meaningful damage
-3 stack scorch fireball to cause healers to worry
-Arcane charges system to only effect arcane blast (balance other abilities accordingly)
-Frost nova for all specs
Mirror Images for all specs (bring back glyphs so that fire/arcane get images that can slow)
-Wotlk style blazing speed or at least make current blazing speed remove the crippling effects
-Fiery Payback (wotlk) type talent which reduces damage taken by 20% with a 5-10% chance to disarm melee/hunters when below 35% hp and reduces cast time on certain spec based spells (1.5sec pyro for fire, arcane missles fire every .5 secs with reduced channel time etc..) to replace flameglow
-Get rid of the god awful lvl 75 Blast Wave and counterparts and redesign.
Old pushback Blastwave fire baseline.
-Arcane able to PoM Poly.
-When Sheep breaks from damage for arcane the target is stunned for 1.5sec
-lvl 100 talents should do something.

... I am just dreaming, reflective on a state of the game that i enjoyed the most, though I truly do believe mages are in need of a certain amount of complexity.
Bro, this is a video game, not your !@#$in mid term
12/24/2014 08:35 PMPosted by Ghobe
I used rapid displacement....as arcane...in ashran...with tome of blink...trollolol ;p

which is awesome until you get hoj'd. then sadness.
12/21/2014 05:57 PMPosted by Ethrios
- Bring back temporal shield in alter time talent slot

omg please
12/25/2014 06:28 AMPosted by Vayris
which is awesome until you get hoj'd. then sadness.

This is why I have racial(trinket) and iceblockx2 right? right? no?...hell...