Does the art style hurt the storytelling?

General Discussion
To start with, I LOVE the cartoony style WoW uses, it has made it age very well.

But I do think it kind of kills some of the story it is going for. For instance, at the Wrathgate, the Lich King appears in what I felt should be an epic moment but he just looks like a goofy looking cartoon, not nearly as intimidating as he looked and felt in that expansion's cinematic.*

The stories told in this Universe can often be brutal, with many deaths. Just last expansion, we had an unhinged dictator. And yet, it is SO hard for me to take the story seriously when the graphics are what they are.

To get the full effect of what I am talking about, watch the WoD cinematic trailer, and then watch any of the in-game cinematics. While they have made some great strides (the one feauting Blackhand especially was awesome) I still find the art style distracting to the serious story Blizzard tries to tell.

I suppose in the end, it is for the greater good. MMOs that go for realistic graphics age horribly. But there is a cost to it. Please discuss!

EDIT: * This:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/1/14440/1390276-wrathgate.jpg

vs.

This:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110810013408/abckidsmannycenturions/images/1/13/Arthas_the_Lich_King_8.jpg

That is my issue in a nutshell anyway.
I never had a problem with it personally. Until the pandas if you want to count that.
Might just be you buddy.
To me, the story is built over the art style. But I've been playing Warcraft games since the original Orcs and Humans. So, it's what I expect from the universe. It's going to make the Warcraft moving very jarring for me.
I think it does.

I've branched out quite a bit with other mmos and I have to say the somewhat childish art style seems a bit antiquated. Like it's intended audience has aged past it.

There are some really awesome cutscenes in other mmo's. Like:

http://youtu.be/CqV84_rKfxU?t=5m21s

Granted the subject matter is very -adult- but WOW could never pull this off. :(

EDIT: Lol @ being downvoted for answering the question.
12/23/2014 07:22 PMPosted by Katrynia

Granted the subject matter is very -adult- but WOW could never pull this off. :(

The universe totally could. Look at any of the Cinematics, and the tone is TOTALLY different than the goofiness of the game (Panaria's cinematic being the obvious exception). As much as I do enjoy the art style for everything not story-related, I do want to see the serious version of Warcraft as well. Hope the movie does that for me!
It's been shown that video games tend to be more popular with more color and cartoon than, as I've heard it put "grimdark grimdark". While this scenery is cool initially, it wears on you and can be an eyesore.

Not to say that nobody that plays WoW think of these graphics as an eyesore. It's just that more people prefer the colorful to the grimdark.
12/23/2014 07:27 PMPosted by Atromitos
12/23/2014 07:22 PMPosted by Katrynia

The universe totally could. Look at any of the Cinematics, and the tone is TOTALLY different than the goofiness of the game (Panaria's cinematic being the obvious exception). As much as I do enjoy the art style for everything not story-related, I do want to see the serious version of Warcraft as well. Hope the movie does that for me!

I completely agree.

The subject matter and characters are there. They could totaly do a serious plotline.

But then they add in the in game models bouncing around with very cartoony features and it's....just lost to me. :/ It definately makes it seem less serious than they intend.

A really -good- example of a serious Blizzard cutscene is the Black Temple trailer. That was well done. But it seems like something was lost with the new model upgrades. I cannot look at a gnome or human female and take it seriously.

Look at how much less bug-eyed Jaina's model is compared to the rest of the human females. It's cause we have to be able to look at her and not automatically think she has an IQ of 12.
I think this is just a problem for Alliance players. Who's to say whether a Troll or Tauren looks "realistic" or not?
12/23/2014 07:32 PMPosted by Katrynia

I completely agree.

The subject matter and characters are there. They could totaly do a serious plotline.

But then they add in the in game models bouncing around with very cartoony features and it's....just lost to me. :/ It definately makes it seem less serious than they intend.

Entire races look waaaay too cartoony. For instance, if the Warcraft movie has gnomes in it (and it is telling that none of the cinematics have) I bet you they are a lot more like Hobbits than the pink-haired quirky tech gurus we see in-game.
12/23/2014 07:37 PMPosted by Tewa
I think this is just a problem for Alliance players. Who's to say whether a Troll or Tauren looks "realistic" or not?

This

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/227/0/2/grommash_hellscream_by_ddddd210-d7va539.jpg

vs.

This

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2014/april/gromOrc.jpg

And his in-game models is actually one of my favorites for how NOT cartoony it is compared to the rest.
Orcs and Humans have always been kind of goofy looking in Warcraft
+1. I think Blizzard should go back to WotLK and start again.
I'm sorry but I don't agree with anything you said at all. Warcraft has never taken itself seriously and has always been cartoony and silly and that's a good thing. Making it "realistic" would ruin its charm and just make it like every other grimdark edgelord mmo out there. No, thank you. You want edgy, go play Darkfall or Warhammer.
The universe totally could. Look at any of the Cinematics, and the tone is TOTALLY different than the goofiness of the game (Panaria's cinematic being the obvious exception).

That is the entire point. Warcraft is a satire of pop culture and all other fantasy worlds.
12/23/2014 08:00 PMPosted by Lianan
The universe totally could. Look at any of the Cinematics, and the tone is TOTALLY different than the goofiness of the game (Panaria's cinematic being the obvious exception).

That is the entire point. Warcraft is a satire of pop culture and all other fantasy worlds.

I think it would be more correct to say it has no idea what it wants to be.

Yes, at times in some quests, it is a parody (not really satire) or a pop culture reference. But at other times, it is very self serious with it's lore.

If WoW is only supposed to be some running gag, somebody should tell the Cinematics team (again, Pandaria cinematic excepted).
12/23/2014 08:03 PMPosted by Atromitos
I think it would be more correct to say it has no idea what it wants to be.

Yes, at times in some quests, it is a parody (not really satire) or a pop culture reference. But at other times, it is very self serious with it's lore.

If WoW is only supposed to be some running gag, somebody should tell the Cinematics team (again, Pandaria cinematic excepted).

It has it's own internal story and lore, yes. But otherwise it is satire and, in many cases, breaks the stereotypes of other fantasy races. It is not to be taken completely seriously. This has been the same theme since WC 1
Maybe I don't expect much since I grew up with the art in the original D&D books. :)
I'm glad for the cartoon graphics. Otherwise I'd probably never set foot in Icecrown or Naxxramus again.
12/23/2014 08:14 PMPosted by Zulan
Otherwise I'd probably never set foot in Icecrown or Naxxramus again.

You know there's a big spider in there, right?