Thank you for my father's happiness

Customer Support
I'm a 40 year old woman who started playing WoW in beta with my husband and my father. We all played from day 1. While my husband and I took several breaks, one of which was to bring a child into this world (who is now 8), we always enjoyed the times we could get together with my father in game. He wasn't the best player... not the best at paying attention to chat. Most people would never have gotten to group with him, because he wasn't like that. He preferred to play alone, or with us, though he played for hours on end every day. You see, several years ago, he had a stroke and was in very poor health after that. He didn't go out of the house much, could barely walk. Wow was so much of his world, his escape. It was one of the few things he could do that gave him happiness.

He passed away in March and I closed his account and my own. I just couldn't log in and not think of him. In December, my 8 year said he wanted to play. After much thinking, I activated dad's account for him. Now I play with my son on the account my father played so much. He would have loved that his grandson enjoyed it.

Today my mother called me and said a box from Blizzard showed up on the doorstep. So thank you Blizzard, I will always look at that statue and remember how much joy you gave my father and me.
In a sea of people complaining because "I didn't get!" this is one of the best stories I've ever seen :)
A touching story, I am sure that your son is proud to play on his "grandpa's account". These are the things that make the WOW experience so unique and special in gaming.
Stop cutting those onions!
What a wonderful story and thank you so much for sharing.

May you and your son spend many hours together in this world that brought some happiness to your Dad.

*hugs*
Thank you for sharing.

*looks up at clear skies*

...something's in my eye.
*manly crying*
01/16/2015 07:57 PMPosted by Mortisana
Today my mother called me and said a box from Blizzard showed up on the doorstep. So thank you Blizzard, I will always look at that statue and remember how much joy you gave my father and me.

Awesome, thanks so much for sharing.

The WOW community gets some pretty bad press at times, and frankly some deserve it, but there's another side to WOW that isn't often seen, this one.

May you and your son have fun together, and if he doesn't already, maybe in some years ahead he'll understand the feelings you must have at this time.

01/16/2015 09:32 PMPosted by Peana
Stop cutting those onions!

LOL, yeah, the fumes are preading. :)
Funny thing. My account is on hold, but I still received my statue today. I would like to thank Blizzard for it as well and this is the only forum I can post in. So, thanks a bunch Blizzard. This shows you guys are still a class act.

Yeah OP that's a great read :)
He would have really loved the statue. I wish he could have seen it. He was a true diehard fan...
Keep this thread alive, someone at Blizzard should definitely see it.

@OP I'm so sorry for your loss.
This is really awesome. Thanks for sharing :D
Beautiful story!!
This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this!
Thank you for sharing your story. I am glad that Warcraft is something that three generations of your family is able to enjoy.

Best wishes to a happy gaming future!
All sorts of warm fuzzy feels!
Thats a lovley story
01/17/2015 09:52 AMPosted by Reige
So everyone is saying what a touching story this is, which it is btw, but I also read that she shut the account off, then restarted it. This seems to me like a break in subscription yet still got a statue...

exactly, read multiple stories of this as well. Myself though I was from day one I took at least 2 3 month breaks and wasn't expecting one anyways, but its interesting to read this.