Top Tier PvP pet list

Pet Battles
As part of the scoring system for a weekly team building competition on my blog I need to come up with a top tier PvP pet list. I'm looking for the pets that are both the best at PvP and the most commonly used. The teams people create get a bonus for not having these pets on their team. Here's a list that I started with:

Unborn Val'kyr
Ghastly Kidd
Rabbits
Anubisath Idol
Gilnean Raven
Emperor Crab
Death Adder Hatchling
Weebomination
Fiendish Imp
Raindance birds (Junglebeak etc.)
Jademist Dancer
Blighthawk
Blossoming Ancient
Singing Sunflower
Warbot
Darkmoon Tonk
Dread Hatchling
EPW
Fossilized Hatchling/Crate
Moths
Murkalot
KLR
LIl' Ragnaros
Magical Crawdad
Scalded Basilisk Hatchling
MPD
Direhorn
Qiraji Guardling
Sen'Jin Fetish
Snarly
Infested Bear Cub
Son Of Animus
Scourged Whelpling
Xu-Fu
Chi-Chi
Spirit Crab
BFB
Zandalari Raptors
Clockwork Gnome

Too many? Any pets that I left off? Any feedback is appreciated.

Here's the link to the first week:

http://pvppetbattles.com/2014/12/15/potw-1/
This is a good list, and I'll think of some more to add to it!
Spirit Crab is a great PvP pet imo.

Chi-Chi maybe?
12/20/2014 09:53 PMPosted by Wyler
Spirit Crab is a great PvP pet imo.

Chi-Chi maybe?

Oh crap, I forgot the pet that his given more wins than any other, the Spirit Crab. Chi-Chi should be on there too. Thanks.
We aren't there yet because they aren't all that common, but Stormwing and Trunks will both be joining the list when all is said and done.

Trunks ends up at 1546/338/211 and When Elekks Fly will be the new demolish spam, only with priority in the moonlight he brings and with more abusive stats. The two abilities(moonfire and WEF) together do 1200 damage if they hit, with priority, meaning it will take down any bird 50% of the time with only taking a single move of damage.

What is even worse is that When Elekks Fly is a priority move that does almost 1600 damage in 2 uses in moonlight, so switching in isn't exactly going to be easy for anyone. People used to complain about RNG abuse with powerful 80% moves like crush, but this is going to be even worse.

I mean, When Elekks Fly / Moonfire / Avalanche is just an obnoxious combination. We should all thank our lucky stars that this is a magic pet, because it could be much worse.

Stormwing has a more self-sufficient style of nuking opponents. I really like to use it as a late cleaner with Jademist/Blighthawk, but it is good on its own.
As far as pets that are old news that maybe should be on there, Creepy Crate, Crow(you have Gil Raven), Decoy users, and Blackfuse Bombling are a threat.

People haven't spent much time experimenting with new pets yet, but I see Ikky being very dangerous with black claw, multi hit move, and cyclone for those who feel a switch is needed...very, very dangerous.
12/21/2014 12:35 AMPosted by Yijiao
We aren't there yet because they aren't all that common, but Stormwing and Trunks will both be joining the list when all is said and done.

Trunks ends up at 1546/338/211 and When Elekks Fly will be the new demolish spam, only with priority in the moonlight he brings and with more abusive stats. The two abilities(moonfire and WEF) together do 1200 damage if they hit, with priority, meaning it will take down any bird 50% of the time with only taking a single move of damage.

What is even worse is that When Elekks Fly is a priority move that does almost 1600 damage in 2 uses in moonlight, so switching in isn't exactly going to be easy for anyone. People used to complain about RNG abuse with powerful 80% moves like crush, but this is going to be even worse.

I mean, When Elekks Fly / Moonfire / Avalanche is just an obnoxious combination. We should all thank our lucky stars that this is a magic pet, because it could be much worse.

Stormwing has a more self-sufficient style of nuking opponents. I really like to use it as a late cleaner with Jademist/Blighthawk, but it is good on its own.

Trunks really surprised me one night by beating me repeatedly (I don't remember the other team members). So much so it made me start doing the Elekk Plushie achievement sooner that I planned.

12/21/2014 12:43 AMPosted by Yijiao
As far as pets that are old news that maybe should be on there, Creepy Crate, Crow(you have Gil Raven), Decoy users, and Blackfuse Bombling are a threat.

People haven't spent much time experimenting with new pets yet, but I see Ikky being very dangerous with black claw, multi hit move, and cyclone for those who feel a switch is needed...very, very dangerous.

Ikky is also doing very well both for me and against me.

I'm going to hold off putting some of the newer pets on the list for now because I think it will be fun to see how they perform in the queue, but I do see these pets making the list in the future.

Added a few more.
No one in my pvp queue uses new pets except me. I bring them out all the time and all I ever come up against are the same old crap boring typical teams you always see - Fossilized Raptors, Clonedancers, multi-MPDs.

It's boring and it sucks. New pets please.
Is the sunflower really 'top tier'?

Or the tonk for that matter.

There's probably a couple others on there but I only glanced at the list. Sunflower and tonk don't seem like they belong on the list since they don't have nearly the kind of impact on a PvP battle like most of the others can.
I have to agree with Liwei, I just don't see some of those pets as top tier, mate.

I'd cut out:

Clockwork Gnome
Singing Sunflower
Darkmoon Tonk
Qiraji Guardling
Infested Bear Cub
Z Raptors
Creepy Crate

I'm not saying they aren't good or get great results on certain teams, so don't misunderstand; I've had my butt handed to me by a few of these from time to time. They just aren't quite as good as the others on the list, in my humble opinion.

I'd definitely add Ikky. Oh my oh my, yes. If he wasn't from the mythical Italian town of Fragiley, he'd be unstoppable.
First off let me say that I've lost to Singing Sunflowers more times than I'd like to admit. Photosynthesis is very difficult to deal with in sunlight. But calling it "top tier", I agree that's too much respect.

I see your points with some others as well. Calling some of these pets is top-tier is a definite stretch. Blame me for trying to take the simple approach (just one category) before over complicating things. A better solution would be to have two categories: "top tier" and also "common mid tier pets".

Here's how I would do it:

Top tier pets
Unborn Val'kyr
Ghastly Kidd
Rabbits
Anubisath Idol
Gilnean Raven/Crow
Emperor Crab
Death Adder Hatchling
Weebomination
Fiendish Imp
Jademist Dancer
Warbot
Fossilized Hatchling
Moths
Murkalot
LIl' Ragnaros
Magical Crawdad
MPD
Snarly
Scourged Whelpling
Spirit Crab

Commonly used mid tier pets
Raindance birds (Junglebeak etc.)
Blighthawk
Blossoming Ancient
Singing Sunflower
Darkmoon Tonk
Dread Hatchling
EPW
Creepy Crate
KLR
Direhorn
Qiraji Guardling
Sen'Jin Fetish
Infested Bear Cub
Son Of Animus
Xu-Fu
Chi-Chi
BFB
Zandalari Raptors
Clockwork Gnome
Ikky

I don't like already putting the Ghastly Kidd on the list since it's new, but Haunt is still awesome and should be respected. Same with the Raindance birds.

Overall though, how does this seem?
I have some issues with placement.

In particular, I am not sure if we were breaking it down, that Blighthawk wouldn't qualify as a top tier threat. The traditional clone/dance set is one thing, but with consume corpse and lift-off as other options, it is a pretty dangerous pet to predict in other situations. I think it really would be top tier, as will Ikky. I know, though, that it is too early to see how the game shapes around Ikky.

Speaking of Warbot, I don't get how it is a top tier threat. I actually think it should be mid tier, as should emerald proto whelp. I also don't know what makes Snarly magically more effective than the other crocodiles or the rip/BitW crabs that have popped up since Spineclaw was introduced.

Overall, I would move Blighthawk and Blackfuse Bombling up. I would also move Warbot and Snarly down. Ikky would be a wait and see situation.
You have EPW and Dread Hatchling in both tiers, mate. I'd say mid for both.

I like this split method much better, Disco. I agree with Yijiao about the Blighthawk, should be top tier (and the Fetish, I admit a bias there), but otherwise I think your placements are solid.

Funny, though...they are real good pets, so the title "mid" doesn't feel right. How about something along the lines of "almost top-tier" or "common competitive pets?"

Edit: You should probably leave out all the new pets just to keep it fair, perhaps? Like the Kidd and Weebomination, along with Ikky?
You could simply word it as 'top tier' and 'high tier'.

Mid tier implies the pet isn't bad but doesn't typically stand out from the crowd. To me, at least.
Oh crap, I forgot the pet that his given more wins than any other, the Spirit Crab
You might have to give back your Spirit Crab fan club membership card.
XT and brew pup not really worth it, eh?
Thanks for all of the great input.

12/21/2014 01:31 PMPosted by Yijiao
Speaking of Warbot, I don't get how it is a top tier threat. I actually think it should be mid tier, as should emerald proto whelp. I also don't know what makes Snarly magically more effective than the other crocodiles or the rip/BitW crabs that have popped up since Spineclaw was introduced.

At one point I put the Warbot on a top ten list and caught a lot of flak; you're not the only one who disagrees with me on this. I still think it's amazing thanks to Extra Plating and its high power. The defense sometimes means it can get a second minefield off, which is hard to deal with. I do fear that the new accuracy mechanics might bring it down a notch, with Missile being hurt like Crush was. When a pet relies on its power to win and hits low it can be disastrous.

I think that Snarly (and the other crocs) are set apart from all the other BITW pets by Surge. Surge is a great sweeping and defensive move.

12/21/2014 04:03 PMPosted by Calerian
You have EPW and Dread Hatchling in both tiers, mate. I'd say mid for both.

Oops, I copied then deleted. Forgot to delete these from the top tier.

12/21/2014 04:03 PMPosted by Calerian

Funny, though...they are real good pets, so the title "mid" doesn't feel right. How about something along the lines of "almost top-tier" or "common competitive pets?"

Edit: You should probably leave out all the new pets just to keep it fair, perhaps? Like the Kidd and Weebomination, along with Ikky?

Both good ideas. If we leave all of the new pets off the list then people will be more likely to use them. They can be added later when they become more common.

Oh, and I'll move Blighthawk up to the top. I've been beaten by enough Blighthawks (not on clonedance teams) to be inclined to agree with you and Yijiao

12/21/2014 08:01 PMPosted by Arkengate
XT and brew pup not really worth it, eh?

I considered the ABP but in the end decided against it. I think what made it special was it being the only pet with an evenly split AoE. Perhaps it can be added later.

12/21/2014 04:30 PMPosted by Snow
Oh crap, I forgot the pet that his given more wins than any other, the Spirit Crab
You might have to give back your Spirit Crab fan club membership card.

It has been seeing less action after the 95% move change (a nerf imo). It will find some teams eventually.

12/21/2014 04:13 PMPosted by Liwei
You could simply word it as 'top tier' and 'high tier'.

Mid tier implies the pet isn't bad but doesn't typically stand out from the crowd. To me, at least.

I like it.

Here's what I'm sticking with for now:

Top tier pets
Unborn Val'kyr
Rabbits
Anubisath Idol
Gilnean Raven/Crow
Emperor Crab
Death Adder Hatchling
Fiendish Imp
Jademist Dancer
Warbot
Fossilized Hatchling
Moths
Murkalot
LIl' Ragnaros
Magical Crawdad
MPD
Snarly
Scourged Whelpling
Spirit Crab
Blighthawk

High tier pets
Blossoming Ancient
Singing Sunflower
Darkmoon Tonk
Dread Hatchling
EPW
Creepy Crate
KLR
Direhorn
Qiraji Guardling
Sen'Jin Fetish
Infested Bear Cub
Son Of Animus
Xu-Fu
Chi-Chi
BFB
Zandalari Raptors
Clockwork Gnome
I'd personally move moths down from Top Tier. I've never run into a moth and gone "oh, damn" the same way I do when I see a DAH or Magical Crawdad on the other team. They're obnoxious, but they only generally manage to swing the battle on that 25% sleep chance--versus a well-played DAH being able to completely lock up the opposing team. They don't generally require a hard counter to beat unless you're running three aquatics or something.

Maybe you need a third category for "stuff that always shows up in the queue that everyone thinks will win but it's not really that hot".
I disagree with Raindance Birds not being top tier.

In terms of dealing damage, they're objectively better at dealing damage since Rain Dance means they can Nocturnal Strike whatever they want with almost zero counter, as well as working with a Blighthawk for Clonedance, which IMHO, is still one of, if not the best teams in the Meta.

I'd disagree with the Kid being top tier. It's toolkit feels very weak to me with the multiple nerfs to Haunt.

Eye of Observation definitely deserves a top tier spot. It's a powerhouse and the best magic pet the meta has seen since the original Magic Broom. Funnily enough, it's one of the few pets that can throw a spanner into my Blighthawk/Weebom/Junglebeak Clonedance, and the fact I haven't found an acceptable 3rd pet to counter it vexes me to no end.

Thank god it's rare though.
I've been having a lot of fun and success with two magic pets: Syd the Squid and Servant of Demidos. Syd can be pretty versatile with Bubble and Demidos can hit like an absolute truck. However, I may prefer Eye of Observation when I end up getting one (5 kills and counting).