WoW going f2p w/ Veteran status?

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 11 Next
01/15/2015 03:53 PMPosted by Bomdanil
Inflation exists because there are more sources for generating wealth from nothing than there are ways to suck it out of the economy. All time tokens do is keep the wealth circulating through the economy, rather than having it stagnate in the hands of a few.
If people can play for "free" by grinding out in game gold, they will do that. That generates gold that did not exist before, and that gets exchanged for real life $. That means more gold is in circulation.

Inflation.

Yes some people who have hordes of gold will circulate it for game time as well. You cannot deny the above will happen though.
01/15/2015 03:51 PMPosted by Temer
01/15/2015 03:49 PMPosted by Trevalon
Yes, I know it isn't bad because multiple other MMO's have been doing it for a long long time and it is not was not and never was bad there.

01/15/2015 03:51 PMPosted by Trevalon

If Blizzard implements the system wrong then it isn't the systems fault - its Blizzards.

Nothing I or anyone can change if Blizzard screws it up. The system itself works and has been proven to work in countless other direct competition and comparable games.

Besides inflation

You want a history lesson? Let me give ya one.

So two of the most prominent MMO's to use the system was Rift and SoE (EQ1 and EQ2). I was there when both systems rolled out in those games. People yelled about inflation this inflation that. Let me tell you what ACTUALLY happened in those games.

In all 3 games the devs made posts that when they introduced the token system they had some of the highest subscriber count they had had in recent times. Meaning that they had more people playing than they had in a long time - this is because the token system encourages old players to return to the game.

Funny enough, when all these people returned it lead to the market being flooded with new items because of the large influx of new players - this actually led (especially in EQ1 where it was super prominent) to a DEFLATION of prices because there were so many new items being added to the market with the new playerbase.

So yo keep saying "inflation inflation inflation" - when in fact, in the other cases where this was actually used it caused a DEFLATION of prices in the AH because of a larger base of players contributing to the overall mass of items on those games auction houses.

Sure, prices inflated - for about 24 hours, then everything plummeted...

So, Next time you REALLY should actually have experience in what exactly happened because you are dead wrong about it causing a sustained inflation.
01/15/2015 03:59 PMPosted by Trevalon
So, Next time you REALLY should actually have experience in what exactly happened because you are dead wrong about it causing a sustained inflation.
So items cost so much in EVE because....
Vanilla babies, BC babies, Wrath babies, Cata babies, Panda Babies, and WoD babies!
01/15/2015 04:03 PMPosted by Temer

Are you serious? This is really what came to your head?

Do you even know the point of Eve? Have you ever played it past a few hours?

Hahaha - I really cant believe you said that.
01/15/2015 04:00 PMPosted by Oontarim
01/15/2015 02:40 PMPosted by Mystraele

So what happens to characters on "veteran" accounts that are above level 20? What happens to the gold you have that is above the limits?

Soooo many more questions now....

Expect glitches. Expect lots of them. I would bet my truck that gold, items, and achievements will vanish. The players who this will happen to will put in a ticket only to get an automated response about something off the wall completely non-related to the topic at hand. After submitting a second ticket said player will receive a response stating that "Blizzard is looking into the matter" or stating that "We are sorry, but there is no way for us to know for sure you had x amount of gold, x achievements, x mounts, or x characters". No thanks.

Lets be honest here, a great number of us cannot even complete garrison campaigns because of glitches that didn't get fixed.

Jesus, it's not even implemented yet, and you're calling it a failure. All they have to do is grey out any characters on the account that are over level 20, and any gold, items and achievements on that character are locked until you buy a sub. JUST LIKE IT WORKS NOW, except you can't log into the account at all.

This has nothing to do with characters over level 20, it's not intended to. It's to allow you to to play the free game you already have access to now, except you don't need a separate "starter" account. And, you get a small benefit of a level 1-20 being able to join any guild you're already in.

If you think this means when you unsub, you can log into your 100 level character, you're wrong. You won't be able to touch them.

It's hilarious, Blizzard adds a nice quality of life improvement, and you act like they killed your puppy.
01/15/2015 04:03 PMPosted by Temer

ISK inflation affects everything in EVE, not jsut PLEX.

The rise in cost of PLEX is directly related to inflation of ISK.

IE, I can mine for a week on my Mack/Hulk and make enough ISK to buy a PLEX after selling and or processing the ore I gather. The amount of work I have to put in to do this has remained constant while the trade value of ore and its refinements and PLEX has risen but obviously remained relative to their previous price points.
So two of the most prominent MMO's to use the system was Rift and SoE (EQ1 and EQ2). I was there when both systems rolled out in those games. People yelled about inflation this inflation that. Let me tell you what ACTUALLY happened in those games.

The problem is that all those games that went F2P after starting as sub based did so for one reason: They could not sustain enough subs. LOTRO, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, and now Wildstar all failed so to say. By going F2P they are not expected to push out the same level or amount of content. Blizz would gain nothing at the moment to go F2P.
01/15/2015 02:44 PMPosted by Sevaryn
Would I be able to log into my characters that are level 21 and above?

No.
How can you rejoin your old guild if you can't talk to anyone? Aren't trials limited to no mail and no chat?
01/15/2015 03:56 PMPosted by Pril
01/15/2015 03:44 PMPosted by Gweslesyas
Scary thought. F2P Trade Chat. 'BEWARE THE FLOOD!'

It's another thing for raiders to sneer about, too. "LF 2 DPS - no filthy F2P. Must have sub."

Under SWTORs old F2P model (don't know how it works now) you'd have to pay money to raid or PvP and more money if you wanted full access to your action bars. And more money again if you wanted a full sized inventory. It actually worked out cheaper to pay a monthly sub.

Basically you could quest to max level (at a slow pace, running fast was reserved for subbed accounts. Or more money), but you could do nothing else.
01/15/2015 04:17 PMPosted by Bashiok
No.

Fair enough. Thank you for the speedy reply. =]
01/15/2015 04:31 PMPosted by Violetzero
Honestly the stigma against free players is just ridiculous.

If someone who has never paid a dime made it all the way to level 100, they have sufficiently proven they can play the game just fine. At least just as much as any subbed player.

Back when TF2 just went free to play, there was this huge confirmation bias that all free players suck. But here's the thing, free players don't suck, new players do. And at the time, every free player was a new player.

The stigma is not necessarily against the players, rather the game and model itself. Unless it is pay to win then yes those who bought everything would face a stigma. Games like TF2 are a completely different breed of animal.
01/15/2015 04:17 PMPosted by Bashiok
01/15/2015 02:44 PMPosted by Sevaryn
Would I be able to log into my characters that are level 21 and above?

No.

No.

its like 1,000 words in one.
What I wonder is, when someone whose account is lapsed uses this feature and logs in on their sub-20 character and joins guild, can that character be promoted to gm? That would allow a player without a current sub to actively lead their guild. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but just asking.
01/15/2015 04:37 PMPosted by Velaethia
No.

its like 1,000 words in one.

At least there is no room for speculation.

01/15/2015 04:46 PMPosted by Nebliina
What I wonder is, when someone whose account is lapsed uses this feature and logs in on their sub-20 character and joins guild, can that character be promoted to gm? That would allow a player without a current sub to actively lead their guild. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but just asking.

Dont know how much use a lvl 20 guild leader would actually be.