What is this only 20 followers garbage?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 15 Next
01/07/2015 12:35 PMPosted by Woopei
Why is the achievement for recruiting 40 followers when you know at least 15 of those are going to be sitting absolutely USELESS for us? I don't really understand the point of the limitation on their numbers or the limitation to reactivating 1 per day (at a charge of 250g, what??).

Gold sinks and forcing people to log in daily, which baffles me because if they just tweaked things it would allow more content and be more engaging, and frankly if there is one reason I end up quitting anytime soon......

it will be gold sinks, because there is not nearly as much gold being made or earned than there is constantly going out to be able to do content.

Want those plot plans...gold sink
want that different zone barracks to unlock other questing... gold sink
want any rep item (even ones that are replaceable from heroics).... gold sink
want to change out plots.... gold sink
and with the way professions were changed don't expect to make nearly any competent amount of gold to compensate for all the other gold expenditures.

I feel bad for new players honestly, there is no way in hell they will get to experience even a small portion of some of the content unless they spend all their time finishing every single quest possible and maximizing gold intake, just so they can upgrade their barracks or experience content/items people have already been able to get in plethora.
01/07/2015 12:36 PMPosted by Mvura
01/07/2015 12:22 PMPosted by Pestilent
Everyone keeps saying this, you are looking at it in the totally wrong way, we have already said with 25 maxed we can counter everything we need to, the problem isn't finishing or completing missions, the problem is wasted pools of followers that get perma benched, because there is 0 point to bringing out, leveling, gearing those followers, when all you end up doing is benching an epic 655 geared follower in trade, and to top it off costs gold. It also serves to make the Inn essentially worthless once you get Millhouse + finish all the achievements and dungeon quests.

The folks who can counter everything with their 25 in this thread didn't say that it just occurred; it took some focus and planning to get their stable optimized to the point where missions were a non-issue.

Your way of looking at it does make a lot of sense but I don't think just removing the limit addresses what you're saying. I'm sitting on 40 or so followers and that would have the same effect of making all the missions 100%-able.

I'm wondering where the middle ground is. Perhaps your inactive followers grant some benefits or can be used in a different way?

I would argue that the entire point of leveling them and maxing their gear is so you can do as many missions as possible with 100%, at least that's why I do it.
My biggest issue with the max amount of active followers is having to manually deactivate any of them past 25 and then having to pay to activate those I want to level/cap next. Feels like an unnecessary gold sink.
01/07/2015 12:41 PMPosted by Pestilent
Gold sinks and forcing people to log in daily, which baffles me because if they just tweaked things it would allow more content and be more engaging, and frankly if there is one reason I end up quitting anytime soon......it will be gold sinks, because there is not nearly as much gold being made or earned than there is constantly going out to be able to do content.Want those plot plans...gold sinkwant that different zone barracks to unlock other questing... gold sinkwant any rep item (even ones that are replaceable from heroics).... gold sinkwant to change out plots.... gold sinkand with the way professions were changed don't expect to make nearly any competent amount of gold to compensate for all the other gold expenditures.I feel bad for new players honestly, there is no way in hell they will get to experience even a small portion of some of the content unless they spend all their time finishing every single quest possible and maximizing gold intake, just so they can upgrade their barracks or experience content/items people have already been able to get in plethora.

So I don't quite get this.

I just leveled my rogue to 60 then boosted her to 90. At level 60 she had 1000g, and by level 96 I'm at 5000g without sending her anything. I didn't even do the gorgrond quests to get the free plan books. I paid to replace my barracks with a bunker. I paid to build a barn and upgrade to level 2. I should have 7000g or more and I haven't even gotten past level 96 yet.

Also, I didn't "finish every single quest line", I didn't work the AH, I don't have the salvage yard, and I'm still bringing in enough gold for my garrison and plenty to spare. I actually just sent some extra gold to my main. So I think the new players will be just fine.
01/07/2015 12:35 PMPosted by Woopei
Why is the achievement for recruiting 40 followers when you know at least 15 of those are going to be sitting absolutely USELESS for us? I don't really understand the point of the limitation on their numbers or the limitation to reactivating 1 per day (at a charge of 250g, what??).

The point is that you need to choose and manage who you use at any given time. Makes it more fun and makes you more invested in your followers, otherwise everyone's goals would be to just amass every follower possible and grind them up thoughtlessly. The restrictions to reactivate them only reinforces that idea even more.

It's already been explained in this thread, but it's still surprising people can't grasp the difference that limit creates. People say they're disappointed with Garrisons now, but it'd honestly probably be even worse if that limit didn't exist.
I don't so much mind the "sending them on missions" limit for followers. I mean, I don't use the twenty I have now, but I don't see why, once deactivated, you don't at least get to see them walking around your garrison. It's rehashing what others have said on here, but there isn't really any point to collecting any more of them if I am just going to deactivate them.
So I don't quite get this.

I just leveled my rogue to 60 then boosted her to 90. At level 60 she had 1000g, and by level 96 I'm at 5000g without sending her anything. I didn't even do the gorgrond quests to get the free plan books. I paid to replace my barracks with a bunker. I paid to build a barn and upgrade to level 2. I should have 7000g or more and I haven't even gotten past level 96 yet.

Also, I didn't "finish every single quest line", I didn't work the AH, I don't have the salvage yard, and I'm still bringing in enough gold for my garrison and plenty to spare. I actually just sent some extra gold to my main. So I think the new players will be just fine.

The garrison upgrading alone from level 2 > 3 is what 2000 or 5000g, I dont remember but its a lot.

lets take the barracks for example, to get level 3 is 1000g + the plans cost, which is another 2000g.

I have forgotten the level 3 upgrade but was pretty sure its 5000g.

5000g + 950g (just upgrading costs of barracks) + 2000g (barracks plans) = 7950g, almost 1k more than you talked about having by 96, even assuming a player could double that by 100, they would only have 15-20k gold. Which through JUST garrison upgrading alone, would all be gone, probably couldn't even finish their garrison.

I have now just spent all your gold you talked about with your main garrison upgrade + 1 building.

Yeah it isn't hard to see where new players will be painfully hurting for gold by simply doing the same thing someone who started the expansion with 100k-millions of gold.

I digress, since in reality my point was one of the only reasons for the follower limitation is as a gold sink, and to be another 'you need to log in every day and do this if you want to rotate followers you have put on the inactive list'

Which I am saying, get rid of the limitation altogether, and encourage people to level and gear cap all followers to the max, and allow them all to visit the garrison (maybe not all at once), since its a better to openly have engageable content, than have it limited where people will just do the minimum and give up because its not worth the cost or effort otherwise.
The garrison upgrading alone from level 2 > 3 is what 2000 or 5000g, I dont remember but its a lot.lets take the barracks for example, to get level 3 is 1000g + the plans cost, which is another 2000g.I have now just spent all your gold you talked about with your main garrison upgrade + 1 building. Yeah it isn't hard to see where new players will be painfully hurting for gold by simply doing the same thing someone who started the expansion with 100k-millions of gold.

Well to be fair I didn't save any gold last expansion and came into this even on my main with a whopping 2k gold. I was able to get my garrison up to level 3 a few days after I hit 100. I just got my bunker up to level 3 yesterday because I was waiting for my 20/20 to be level 100, not a gold issue. I have about 3k left. This is after I bought a 2k enchant for my weapon. Still haven't really used the auction house much, though I did sell fish for a good price.

I think you are also underestimating the skill of new players. I had a friend join wow for the first time, did a 90 boost and she is rolling in more gold than me. She did a few old dungeons solo when she boosted just to experience the content and she found out she could make gold that way. So now she's off to do old raids. And she is amazing at playing the auction house. She found out she could sell portals in trade. And she's only level 93. I didn't give her any hints on how to make money.

Edit: to add on to your edited post, I agree it does suck to have some nice followers that will forever be benched because I can't have them all out at once, but I did take a bit of issue at the gold thing. My response to the actual topic at hand is a few pages ago :)
It only takes about a month to get all 25 followers to level 100 and epic. At that point, you never fail a mission again and the restriction is completely pointless.
If they were to do that they would NEED to fix the way missions work. With only 25 followers I am still having a bunch of them doing nothing at all because I don't get nearly enough missions.
01/07/2015 09:04 AMPosted by Mvura
Would you at least agree that it took some kind of thinking and planning to optimize your stable, though?

Yes, a great deal in fact.
All of this feedback is great so thank you!

We have some really cool changes coming to Garrisons in the future and a lot of them are based on what you've shared with us in recent weeks. Also, I've relayed many of the ideas you've posted here, too.

One specific change I can share is in the next patch we're planning to add a new NPC to tier 3 Garrisons who will sell followers you might not have access to based upon which buildings and Outposts you've chosen. Definitely keep an eye out for that on the next PTR, test it out, and let us know what you think.
01/07/2015 01:23 PMPosted by Crithto
All of this feedback is great so thank you!We have some really cool changes coming to Garrisons in the future and a lot of them are based on what you've shared with us in recent weeks. Also, I've relayed many of the ideas you've posted here, too.One specific change I can share is in the next patch we're planning to add a new NPC to tier 3 Garrisons who will sell followers you might not have access to based upon which buildings and Outposts you've chosen. Definitely keep an eye out for that on the next PTR, test it out, and let us know what you think.

:)))

(because I cant +1 your post)
will sell followers

This disturbs me a little.
OP posts incorrect information, gets a +23. Sounds about right.
All of this feedback is great so thank you!

We have some really cool changes coming to Garrisons in the future and a lot of them are based on what you've shared with us in recent weeks. Also, I've relayed many of the ideas you've posted here, too.

One specific change I can share is in the next patch we're planning to add a new NPC to tier 3 Garrisons who will sell followers you might not have access to based upon which buildings and Outposts you've chosen. Definitely keep an eye out for that on the next PTR, test it out, and let us know what you think.

That's really cool! I don't have much interest in going back and changing my outposts (the shredder is too cool), so it'll be nice to be able to pick up some of those followers without them.
will sell followers

SLAVERY??

jk.

How about the 2 followers you didnt choose during the SMV questline?