Gear Grind Feels More Pointless Than Ever

General Discussion
All that time spent grinding out the Legendary Cloak on multiple characters in MoP. And then, after 3 or 4 days of leveling in WoD the Cloaks are tossed in the trash. Makes a person think twice about the endless cycle of gear grinds in this game.
01/07/2015 05:29 AMPosted by Lysios
All that time spent grinding out the Legendary Cloak on multiple characters in MoP. And then, after 3 or 4 days of leveling in WoD the Cloaks are tossed in the trash. Makes a person think twice about the endless cycle of gear grinds in this game.

...Did you not think that's how gear progression works? That's a day one trait of this game.
01/07/2015 05:29 AMPosted by Lysios

You just realised this after 10 years ?

The point is not to play for gear, get gear to play the content instead. The gear will change, the memories will last a lifetime.
01/07/2015 05:32 AMPosted by Berith
The gear will change, the memories will last a lifetime.
<Horrible Times>

sry I just really like that guild name with this msg :3
And if you got your cloak early you had it for like half year.
01/07/2015 05:40 AMPosted by Rockandshock
And if you got your cloak early you had it for like half year.

It was over a year, Sept 2013-Nov 2014 (and was useful for the entire leveling process of WoD), as opposed to the usual of grinding out a legendary for most of a raid tier only to finish it a month or two before the next tier/expansion comes out and it's replaced
If you didn't enjoy any of the gameplay in between, then yeah, it was pointless; otherwise, new gear enables you to do newer content where you get more gear to do newer content, ad infinitum.
Of course I realized "that's how it's always been."

A) The Legendary cape was a longer and more miserable grind than most any other item. And, because of the accelerated leveling in WoD, it got tossed super fast.

B) Maybe after 10 years WoW needs to start doing things a little bit differently. Is it too much to expect a little creativity? A few new ideas?

Are the rest of you happy with endless gear grinds just because there have always been endless gear grinds and that's what you are used to?
Wow. I'm just speechless. You will never have the best gear in this game...ever. If there is a point where you can obtain the best gear and it will remain the best then the game will have been long dead.
01/07/2015 05:46 AMPosted by Lysios
Of course I realized "that's how it's always been."

A) The Legendary cape was a longer and more miserable grind than most any other item. And, because of the accelerated leveling in WoD, it got tossed super fast.

B) Maybe after 10 years WoW needs to start doing things a little bit differently. Is it too much to expect a little creativity? A few new ideas?

Are the rest of you happy with endless gear grinds just because there have always been endless gear grinds and that's what you are used to?

That's kind of been rpgs since...ever. Kill monster. Get loot. Kill tougher monster. Get better loot.

Plus, if they tried to change it, threads out the wazoo about how they are "destroying" loot.
The Legendary cape was a longer and more miserable grind than most any other item. And, because of the accelerated leveling in WoD, it got tossed super fast.

Accelerated leveling had nothing to do with it. (What accelerated leveling, by the way...?). It is a new expansion. That's what caused it to get tossed.

Maybe after 10 years WoW needs to start doing things a little bit differently. Is it too much to expect a little creativity? A few new ideas?

Your idea of a new 'idea' is so that you can use the same piece of loot for progression for more than 14 months? Because that's how long the cloak lasted (assuming you pitched it day one of WoD): 14 months.

Do you have a better idea to keep people interested and playing consistently?

I found the legendary cape "Grind" to just happen naturally as I cleared the Mists content, and it was a very nicely done side-quest piece with a lot of lore information about the Mogu's relation to the Titan's and Wrathion's scheming.

So don't state your opinion as a fact ? There was nothing Miserable about it unless you count playing the game miserable.

The game is only an endless gear grind if you play for gear. That's an issYOU (god I hate that word).

01/07/2015 05:49 AMPosted by Erras
Accelerated leveling had nothing to do with it. (What accelerated leveling, by the way...?). It is a new expansion. That's what caused it to get tossed.

An ilvl 616 cloak anything isn't getting tossed until level 100 and a few heroic dungeon runs.

Took me quite a few runs to finally get a 630 cloak.
That is exactly why people should focus on boss fights in raids not the loot. Hang with the "guys" and enjoy the camaraderie that comes with working as a well oiled team to bring them down.
The cloak was awesome in the expansion and while leveling. It lasted all the way into heroics. So I feel I got decently rewarded for what little effort there was - it was mostly waiting. The storyline was nice.
MMOs are not your thing if you don't like gear grinds.