Bring back the daily quest.

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
12/20/2014 04:57 AMPosted by Carhagen
Thank you for your insightful and well thought out post.

Can you tell me why you prefer the current system then? Why it is better than what we had? I'd am curious to know your reasons as to why you think the way you do.

I get where you're coming from, but Daily quests, in my eyes, promote an unhealthy way to play the game. They make you feel as if you need to log in every day to perform this task and if you don't then you'll fall behind. Yes I understand that it is a choice and you don't have to do so, but that's how I feel whenever I'm trying to achieve something in game. This coupled with the fact, that no matter what neat type of quest is added... it gets boring and repetitive the 10th time round (let alone the 50th).

In the end all I get out of daily quests is a daily chore to perform with a small nagging voice urging me to just get it done... every... single... day... Sorry, but that's just the way I feel about them. If they offered a weekly version of the quest (something that required more effort and more time than the usual daily) then I'd be A-Ok with that.
12/20/2014 04:51 AMPosted by Carhagen
But during MoP they gained universal hatred from a large portion of the player base.

Yeah I remember that, it was awful. Hours or more of dailies a day to do because the gear was gated behind them. And completing one stage of rep opened up more freaking dailies. Golden Lotus, Shado Pan, Klaxxi, August Celestials, Tillers, Anglers, and Cloud Serpent. Then they added Dominance Offensive. Then they added the Isle of Thunder.

And God help you if you had alts.

But it's been long enough, we can have some dailies back.
12/20/2014 07:33 PMPosted by Myrdrahl
I get where you're coming from, but Daily quests, in my eyes, promote an unhealthy way to play the game. They make you feel as if you need to log in every day to perform this task and if you don't then you'll fall behind.

And the Garrison / professions / Apexis systems don't do this already?

At lest with rep dailies like we're suggesting, the only thing you'd miss out on in a day would be 1,200-ish reputation with a faction. Which you could just catch up on the next day if you really wanted by kill grinding mobs. (But my god, who would?)
If they offered a weekly version of the quest (something that required more effort and more time than the usual daily) then I'd be A-Ok with that.

I liked what they did with the dungeon/raid valor points, where you could grind all the points for the week in one day if you wanted. They could do the same thing with dailies and rep by letting you do a week's worth in one lockout period.
I get where you're coming from, but Daily quests, in my eyes, promote an unhealthy way to play the game. They make you feel as if you need to log in every day to perform this task and if you don't then you'll fall behind. Yes I understand that it is a choice and you don't have to do so, but that's how I feel whenever I'm trying to achieve something in game. This coupled with the fact, that no matter what neat type of quest is added... it gets boring and repetitive the 10th time round (let alone the 50th).

Not really, it's because of the way they implement it.

They could've tried locking your daily rep to 1k per day, and then you can either use the tabard/quest/grind to farm it.

The VP system back then is great in promoting repeated dungeon in a day just for VP cap, instead of the lame apexis system we got now.
I would love to see dailies that are tied to gaining reputation with the various Draenor factions.
12/20/2014 08:10 PMPosted by Myural

Not really, it's because of the way they implement it.

They could've tried locking your daily rep to 1k per day, and then you can either use the tabard/quest/grind to farm it.

The VP system back then is great in promoting repeated dungeon in a day just for VP cap, instead of the lame apexis system we got now.

Capping the amount of daily rep gained and allowing players to choose how to achieve the cap makes so much more sense than what we have now.
12/20/2014 11:33 AMPosted by Unjoiner
Maybe there could be occasional Garrison quests that grant reputation as part of the reward?

Just as an additional method to gain reputation.

This exists already, I got Relic of Rukhmar from a Garrison Mission, granted me 3250 Rep with Arrakkoa after TP 20% bonus (so it's a 2500 flat rep gain per token).

12/20/2014 08:26 PMPosted by Torghen
Capping the amount of daily rep

Please god no, no more gating of this sort on Reps. That's just inane and dumb. If I want to grind it out in a day, let me grind it out in a day (which I did for the TP rep and the rest of my Exarchs rep).
I miss the types of quests where you could collect items from mobs/areas and turn them in for rep, like the old Scourgestones in vanilla for Argent Dawn rep. Maybe give us an option like that for the WoD reputations.

Personally, I greatly disliked going to daily hubs and doing the same quests the same way in the same place day after day just to stay relevant with gear. I don't miss them. But there can be a comfortable middle ground between the dailies of LK/Cata/MoP and the nothingness of WoD so far.

Maybe have a few options for turn-ins, but you cannot turn them all in each day. This way you can get your rep without each day being the same if you want to change things up.
12/20/2014 09:03 PMPosted by Pir
I miss the types of quests where you could collect items from mobs/areas and turn them in for rep, like the old Scourgestones in vanilla for Argent Dawn rep. Maybe give us an option like that for the WoD reputations.

That's basically how Steemwheedle works, from 0/3000 neutral all the way to Exalted. You grind mobs and loot objects, which you then turn in for rep.

The whole rep is precisely that.

Then the Ashran rep... you loot Artifact Fragments and turn them in for Rep.

Maybe have a few options for turn-ins, but you cannot turn them all in each day. This way you can get your rep without each day being the same if you want to change things up.

Why are you asking them to nerf Steemwheedle and Ashran rep ? You can currently turn in the items unlimited times per day and thus can grind out the whole thing in a day if you wish so.

Why do you people want to add gating ?
12/20/2014 08:26 PMPosted by Torghen
Capping the amount of daily rep gained and allowing players to choose how to achieve the cap makes so much more sense than what we have now.

That sounds absolutely terrible. The only thing worse than daily quests would be a daily grind quota.
12/20/2014 09:06 PMPosted by Berith

That's basically how Steemwheedle works, from 0/3000 neutral all the way to Exalted. You grind mobs and loot objects, which you then turn in for rep.

The whole rep is precisely that.

Then the Ashran rep... you loot Artifact Fragments and turn them in for Rep.

Why are you asking them to nerf Steemwheedle and Ashran rep ? You can currently turn in the items unlimited times per day and thus can grind out the whole thing in a day if you wish so.

Why do you people want to add gating ?

People are just discussing alternatives to what we have now. Not everyone finds the current rep grinds compelling. You might like grinding mobs for rep. Others don't because maybe they view a mob grind as gating. Blizzard seemed concerned that championing and tabards allowed players to blow through rep grinds too quickly. Maybe you cap stuff to address that concern, maybe you don't if it's too much of a pain for people. There just has to be a happy medium of options where players can pursue the type of game play for reputations that appeal to them. Right now, there is no option.
12/20/2014 02:37 PMPosted by Horine
I approve of bringing back dailies. But bring back useful things from the rep. Is anyone using a craptastic ilvl 600 trinket for getting revered with X rep? Hodir. Shoulder enchants. Give us some incentive to work on that X rep. Mounts are cool and all, but there should be something else to make it worth the time and effort.

One useful thing from the dailies in MoP that I really miss was actual story-telling.
There...was an actual...plot.

I actually enjoyed most of them and never complained...I loved that there was a progression of great storyline that went along with gaining rep and doing dailies.

The lore itself was such a great reward and incentive. Factions like Klaxxi, Shado-Pan, Golden Lotus-->August Celestials, Operation: Shieldwall/Dominance Offensive, Sunreaver Onslaught/Kirin Tor Offensive etc...every day I was closer to the next chapter of the storyline...and when I hit exalted it was really exciting because there was a grand culmination of the plot and that was rewarding. It was awesome.

I did the faction-specific ones on both Horde and Alliance so I could see the whole story. I did some more than once so I could refresh my memory on how neat it was. I kind of don't understand why so many people bash MoP; there was so much substance and content there, if one felt like doing it :/

I do not feel this way in WoD. The "daily" activities and reps feel grindy, boring and completely hollow to me.
I miss the MoP formula. In several, significant aspects. One being the dailies.
/2 cents.
12/20/2014 09:56 PMPosted by Aranyaní
I kind of don't understand why so many people bash MoP; there was so much substance and content there, if one felt like doing it

I agree with you. MoP felt like a rich and varied xpac to me. I was expecting to hate the pandas on general principle, but actually the whole atmosphere was very engaging. I did the quests on both Alliance and Horde, and it was interesting to see two sides of the story.

I was expecting to love this xpac because Burning Crusade has always been my favorite, and this is basically a riff on that. But it feels like they really copped out on the story. The questing went by way too quickly. The story was too linear. And the whole thing being tied to the garrison detracted from my enjoyment.

I suppose I could level an Alliance character to experience the story from that angle, but leveling an alt this early in the xpac is not where I wanted to be.
I have to agree with the OP. It's boring only having a single daily which I can grind in ~5 minutes with a group.

In Mop they made a few mistakes with dailies and I think most people would be fine with them as long as they follow this guideline.

-Keep gear off the faction vendors.

-Let us choose a faction to grind each day.

-Don't overload us with dailies.
The only dailies I recall being onerous in MoP were the Dominance Offensive ones because you had to do those in order to progress the story. Is that why everyone was so mad?

No. The Dominance ones had the only 496 gear in the game.
kinda like the choice presented for the daily apexis quest (you can do this one OR this one, but not both), should have more dailies like that, a choice to do them OR the one we currently have, not both...
Bump because this issue is real and needs attention. Not having enough solo end game content is devastating to a lot of casual players.

And let's not forget the gold rewards. It's pretty obvious Blizzard is trying to cut down on the inflation of gold - they've nerfed general quest rewards to give far less than in MoP, as well as removed a key way to acquire it (daily quests).

We do have garrison missions, yes, but I don't really find those being too profitable when combined with all the gold sinks that come along with garrisons while leveling up. This character has about 5k more than she started the expansion with, but I also do a lot of old raids on her every week. That's been the key to my income, and some people do not enjoy doing old content.

So yeah, Daily quests also offered a way for quite a few players to sustain themselves financially in WoW.
12/20/2014 02:13 PMPosted by Carhagen
Seriously, do the Darktide Roost daily and then come back and tell me how quick and fun that was. I mean sure if you enjoy slaughtering goblins by the truck load and don't mind running around the island for hours looking for eggs to shatter, then I suppose you're fine, but I can't imagine that is fun for most people. I just can't see it.

I groan when the Darktide Roost daily shows up. Its got to be the worst. Blech!