Trap Stealing

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 29 Next
More than 1 person can trap a single beast. 1 person can even trap a beast multiple times alone. As such, this is a L2P issue. If they trap before you do, either move the beast away from their trap and onto your own, or place your own trap on top of theirs.

That said, it's a bit crappy as an outsider to place your trap under something that someone else is killing, because it is possible for that person to miss their trap. The courteous thing to do is to wait for the person with the tag to land the trap, then place your trap after.
Honestly the trap thing needs to be changed to some sort of debuff on the mob that when it hits 50% it traps it no matter where it is. was doing this the other day and along came another player repeated taunting the mob off of my traps. 15 sec cooldownd on, traps 6 sec I believe on taunt? Followed me around for a good 20 min. Put in a ticket and all I got was a reply stating that I had a problem with mechanics I should make a suggestion to change them and about that how I couldn't really have tapped mobs stolen from me. such bull crap on that last part

so to Re-Iterate

SUGGESTION

Make traps a debuff on mob that so when the Mob hits 50% healh becomes a lootable object that only people who tapped it can loot.
01/05/2015 07:40 PMPosted by Goatmeal
so really holding W for a few seconds is the problem?

when the mob despawns by the time i get to it yes it is...and when I did all the work bringing said mob to 50% no one else should even be able to trap it....
01/05/2015 07:31 PMPosted by Direstrife
when you play ranged you usually are not all up in mr clefthoof's grill so when Joe Lazyjackhole runs up and lays a trap on the mob I have a fair distance to run before i can even drop the trap...

Yeah I noticed this with a few others while trapping the elite river beasts. The traps both need a larger radius and be able to launched similar to how Hunters can launch their traps. For me I can just death grip the mob onto the trap or traps if I have them stacked but others are not so fortunate.

Seriously with how BIG some of these monsters are with their hit box it should just be fine dropping the trap within the hit box itself instead of in a sweet spot that is easy to screw up.
01/05/2015 07:42 PMPosted by Fiddlybitz
More than 1 person can trap a single beast. 1 person can even trap a beast multiple times alone. As such, this is a L2P issue. If they trap before you do, either move the beast away from their trap and onto your own, or place your own trap on top of theirs.

That said, it's a bit crappy as an outsider to place your trap under something that someone else is killing, because it is possible for that person to miss their trap. The courteous thing to do is to wait for the person with the tag to land the trap, then place your trap after.

Yeah but it really shouldn't be a L2P issue. This is farming, not raiding. Save the skillchecks for something other than the "errands" the game makes you play already.
01/05/2015 07:30 PMPosted by Kindofamage
01/05/2015 07:24 PMPosted by Flonnezilla
A nice workaround, but I doubt this is intended gameplay.

I have no problem with it and neither should Blizzard.

If Blizzard doesn't like it then maybe they should drastically increase the density of elite mobs in the zone that are needed if you want to get savage blood from your traps.

I am on a high pop server (Sargeras) and I am forced into this workaround because otherwise It would take 2 hours to fill all my work orders, no joke. There is no time where these mobs are not being trapped by at least 5 people per area.

So you honestly think that during development, a dev said: "Hey guys, we should make sure that Traps are able to spawn in the same location, just in case a player tries to steal your mob, so that you can both catch it at the same time!"

No, I doubt they said that, it was obviously an oversight because it is awkward and makes no sense to design a mechanic with the intention that you will run into a random stranger and you must coordinate with his movements like you're playing Simon Says so that you may both leave happily with fat lewts.

I could understand if they intended the mobs to be stolen for competitive purposes, but playing an awkward co-op game with a hostile stranger out of the blue doesn't sound intended to me. And even if they intended the mobs to be stolen for competition, they implemented it poorly - instead of epicly battling each other for the item, you instead have a bunch of vultures flying around you ready to snatch your prize in an instant instead of having a fair battle.
Imagine that there's a video game company that promotes "stealing" and gives reward to jerks and tells their customer that "it's working as intended"

edit: inb4 they told us to put them jerks on my ignore list so they cant steal my elite beast cage trap anymore lmao
There was a paladin on Quel'dorei doing this to everyone near the elite clefthoofs tonight. He would wait til you put your trap down, then taunt mobs away from your trap, set his down, and boom, he got your mob within 2 seconds. (it should be said I was not on a class who could taunt back even if I did have time to.) I'd run up to the mob myself and try to trap it after he had, but I kept missing and it was infuriating. Everyone in the zone was complaining about him. When I looked him up on armory, he had terrible gear and probably couldn't take down an elite himself. I never saw him kill his own mob but he probably filled his barn with everyone else's.

At one point he was trying to gank my mob and several other people ran up and tried to start taunting it back and there were 5 traps all over the ground. I have no idea who got it but it wasn't me. A lot of people reported him but I doubt anything will be done.

This can't be intended gameplay. It's frustrating and unfun. I ended up leaving and going to the riverbeasts because nobody is ever there and it's nice and quiet, even though I needed the leather.
Remove the cd on trap, only allow one trap out at a time so you can only get one trap per mob, have it instant armed, and increase the radius the trap works on. Trapping is a chore and it isn't fun right now and it has everything to do with a system that doesn't take into account players are pricks.

01/05/2015 07:42 PMPosted by Fiddlybitz

You say it is l2p and then go on to say that other players can steal your traps if they want to. Which is it? Do I need to l2p when a band of people with taunts comes through and taunts my target over their traps right after I lay mine? Because that happens and they do wait for you to lay your trap. Or when I am working on getting a double trap off because no one is around and as I am moving it over a person uses a knockback on the mob, stuns it, and then traps it quick and runs off. People aren't courteous. They are dicks. They are out there trying to get their own traps and they don't care about anyone else getting theirs. That is the long and short of it all. Saying 'it is an l2p issue and you just need to be courteous' is an incredibly naive thing to say.
I mostly don't even try to get elites anymore. If I happen on one and no one is in sight I might try to trap it but otherwise it just is not worth the piss off factor.

I don't need many bloods I can handle getting them from spirits even if it takes longer.

This trap stealing crap was fast pushing me to walk away from the game again. I have a very low tolerace for the jerk factor involved.
Best fix would be to let trapping work in groups and only allow people to trap if they have the tag.

One trap, entire group gets a caged beast.

This would encourage people to work together and make griefers have to work way harder to mess things up for everyone else.

Within a day or two of implementing that these threads would stop popping up and everyone would be a lot happier.
It also makes sense in the context of the game since they NPC tells you to bring help...
01/04/2015 10:33 AMPosted by Zoonotickz
hmmm i was killing an elite beast yesterday when someone came along and placed a trap under it - which had no effect whatsoever. I killed it and looted.

Lucky you. I have had quite a few stolen from me by trappers. Blizzard turns a blind eye towards ninjas and griefers with the way the traps currently work.
Totally agree with the OP. Trap stealing is so far one of the most frustrating aspects of the expansion.
I think the aspect that makes it particularly frustrating is that there are not many choices for getting savage bloods EXCEPT for trapping or grinding primal spirits. An important mechanic like this shouldn't be so ripe for griefing.
I was upgraded enough to try this for the first time yesterday.
I was shocked when 2 players hung around me like vultures waiting to swoop in on my kill.
I was killing in disc, so it took a while to get the cleft hoof down.....they didn't try to even help me kill it faster, just waited and watched.
One put a trap under my beast and I put one down seconds later and walked it forward a smidge.

I cussed them out even though I got the meat, for being such lowlifes. They told me that they didn't know what I was worried about and that we would both get the trap.
Is this true, cause I did and they said they did too.
01/05/2015 10:00 PMPosted by Cuteypatooty
I was upgraded enough to try this for the first time yesterday.
I was shocked when 2 players hung around me like vultures waiting to swoop in on my kill.
I was killing in disc, so it took a while to get the cleft hoof down.....they didn't try to even help me kill it faster, just waited and watched.
One put a trap under my beast and I put one down seconds later and walked it forward a smidge.

I cussed them out even though I got the meat, for being such lowlifes. They told me that they didn't know what I was worried about and that we would both get the trap.
Is this true, cause I did and they said they did too.

Answer: If the traps are placed exactly right yes you will both get the cage. Unfortunately if one of them taunts it off your trap and you cannot get another trap positioned exactly right in time you will be SoL.
I'd like to add people who follow you around and kill the beasts you are trying to trap to the list of complaints. Was on an alt earlier trapping in the ravine near the garrison and had a huntard follow me around killing the wolves i had tagged before the traps could spring.
This really needs to stop, L2P is NOT an option here. Only the tagger should be able to trap the beast period! I saw this happen to me for my very first elite kill to start collecting bloods and had a ally hunter and a fellow hordie steal my kill. The range on the traps are horrid and of course this pissed me off so I had a chat with the ally hunter and was told the hordie was stealing his as well, so this needs to be fixed!
We've been observing feedback on the topic and wanted to give a heads up on two hotfixes that are currently undergoing testing (not ready yet) to address these concerns.

• Increasing the spawn rates of elite creatures used for trapping.
  • Deadly Iron Trap will require players to have tap credit on the creature being trapped.