Up-to-Date (6.2) Hunter PvP Information

Hunter
1 2 3 6 Next
***MUST READ FOR HUNTER PVP***
Updated for 6.2!
-SV change in Stat Priority
-Gearing Options Updated/Simplified
-New Section

This information is a consolidation of works, math, and opinions. This post is meant to consolidate information from various sources into a single, well-written post for the Hunter Community. Please help to keep this post relevant either with a comment or sticky. Thank you!

This post will be broken into 3-5 parts:
I. Stat Priority
II. Gearing Options
III. Pet Usage
IV. Which Spec is Best?
V. Patch Updates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important/Relevant Info:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stat Breakdown:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15353857309

Stat Valuation:
http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/259498-hunter-stat-valuation-pet-guide-wod/

PvE Guide:
http://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/7530-all-inclusive-hunter-guide/

Data and Sims:
http://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/Raid_T17M.html

Acann's SV PvP Guide:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15539075095

Pet Information:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/
I. Stat Priority:
For more information on how each stat works for each spec, check out my Stat Breakdown.

Stat Breakdown: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15353857309

Key notes:
-- Multistrike only gives 1 proc at X% in PvP and therefore is less valuable than it is in PvE by about 50%.

-- Critical Strike only boosts damage done by 150% in PvP and therefore is less valuable than it is in PvE by about 50%.

-- Versatility is the best stat for Hunters. Stop questioning it!

Stat Ratings:
130 Versatility Rating = 1% Damage Increase + .5% Damage Reduction
110 Crit Rating = 1% Crit Chance
90 Haste Rating = 1% Haste
66 Multistrike Rating = 1% Multistrike Chance

220 MM Mastery Rating = 1% Mastery
110 SV Mastery Rating = 1% Mastery
55 BM Mastery Rating = 1% Mastery

MM Stats:
Mobile MM:
Versa > Multistrike > Haste > Crit > Mastery

Turret MM:
Versa > Mastery > Multistrike > Haste > Crit

Mastery is MM's best stat, behind Versatility! The reason you don't stack it is because you move around so much in PvP. If you plan on only playing BGs, RBGs, or Ashran, check out the specifics in the Gearing Options section below!

I finally understand that MS is indeed stronger than Crit. Crit loses value with its self. If you do Crit, having more of it is worthless. Therefore, since MM Hunters have passive Crit bonuses and Hunters have 10% passive Crit, MS pulls ahead because of its synergy with Crit. The burst potential is significantly higher than the bonus damage from more Crits. This isn't saying that Crit is bad, however. Ideally, you want to have MS and Crit about the same, but because we are given Crit passively, it makes MS stronger than stacking more Crit. Same principle applies to Careful Aim.

IMO you want to have more Crit % than MS % while keeping them roughly the same. Keep in mind gearing limitations.

Haste is one of the better MM stats because it effects more than 50% of your damage. Its still really hard to quantify Haste, but Haste is stronger than Crit and maybe even MS at higher %'s.

SV Stats:
Versa > Mastery > Multistrike > Crit > Haste

Versatility is better than Mastery because it effects 100% of your damage VS ~75% with Mastery. Multistrike is better than Crit because of the Survivalist passive and the passive 10% Crit. Again, I would try to keep MS and Crit about equal, as that is how you get the most optimal burst potential from the two stats. (For more info on MS>Crit, read MM Stats above!)

Haste contintues to be the worst stat for SV because it only effects Cobra Shot.

BM Stats:
Mastery > Versa > Multistrike = Crit > Haste

Mastery has higher damage output then Versa. However, when taking damage, Versa's priority increases significantly. If you are not the primary kill taraget in your Arena Composition, Mastery is better than Versa.

Multistrike is better than Crit because of the passive 10% Crit. Again, I would try to keep MS and Crit about equal, as that is how you get the most optimal burst potential from the two stats. (For more info on MS>Crit, read MM Stats above!)

Crit is better than Haste because of the Invigoration passive. The more often you Crit with your Auto Shot, the more focus your pet has. The more focus your pet has, the more consistently it can use its Basic Attack (Claw, Bite, etc). The more consistently your pet can Basic Attack, the more focus you receive.
II. Gearing Options: (Links go to WoWhead!)
The way gearing works in WoD is much more limiting than in the past few expansions. There is no reforging, limited enchants, and no gem slots. Also, PvE set bonuses DO NOT work in PvP zones and the PvP Trinket Set Bonus is too strong to drop for PvE trinkets.

The PvE Legendary Ring, without the proc, is BiS for (non-Mastery) MM ONLY.

General/Arena:
Arena gameplay is generally the most competitive and therefore, the most sought after build. I highly recommend using the General/Arena builds.

MM Basic:
http://www.wowhead.com/list=6413155/mm-basic

Replace = Helm to (Crit/Versa)
Enchants = Versatility
Scope = Oglethorpe’s Missile Splitter (Multistrike)

I also highly recommend PvE gear in place of Mastery gear for MM. The cloak and bow are probably the only ones you could get away with because the 4pc bonus is so good for MM.

BM Basic:
http://www.wowhead.com/list=6413317/bm-basic

Replace = Shoulders to (Versa/Mastery)
Enchants = Mastery
Scope = Hemet’s Heartseeker (Mastery)

For BM, the Versa Enchants = ~2% Dmg Inc & ~1% Dmg Redc VS the Mastery Enchants = ~2.5-3% Dmg Inc. Its really close but I believe that the Dmg Redc out-weighs the higher damage output of Mastery. Damage Reduction gets much better the more you have. Use Mastery if you aren't the primary kill target of your Arena Composition. If you are the primary kill target of your Arena Comp, Versa's value increases significantly.

SV Basic:
http://www.wowhead.com/list=6413323/sv-basic

Replace = Chest to (Versa/MS), Shoulders to (Versa/Mastery), Legs to (Versa/Mastery)
Enchants = Versatility
Scope = Hemet’s Heartseeker (Mastery)

I also highly recommend dropping the 4pc for SV, in particular for Arenas. Having BA dispelled before the debuff reaches 10% makes the set bonus almost obsolete. If you are able to utilize the 4pc above its 50% mark 100% of the time, only then is it better than your Versa gear. Otherwise, Versa gear is a more consistent way to increase your overall damage.

BGs and RBGs and Ashran:

MM Mastery:
http://www.wowhead.com/list=6413467/mm-mastery

Replace = Shoulders to (Versa/Mastery), Chest to (Crit/Mastery), Gloves to (Mastery/MS), Legs to (Mastery/Versa)
Enchants = Versatility
Scope = Hemet's Heartseeker (Mastery)

Mastery is one of MM's best stats but only if you can keep ~70% uptime. In BGs and RBGs, Mastery has a much stronger role.
III. Pet Usage:
People always seem to ask what pet is best for PvP or what pets give what buffs. Here are a couple resources for you! I have summarized the AJ post below as it is pretty basic information.

Pet Guide: http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/259498-hunter-stat-valuation-pet-guide-wod/
Pet Info: http://www.wow-petopia.com/talents/skills.html

Please note, these priorities are set up for PvP Solo play. If you are doing arenas, try to mix and match your buffs based on priority of your TEAM, while keeping these priorities in mind.

MM Pet Stats:
Mortal Strike > 5% Stats > 3% Versatility > 5% Haste > 5% Crit > 5% Multistrike > 2.5% Mastery > 10% Stamina > 10% Spell Power

SV Pet Stats:
Mortal Strike > 5% Stats > 3% Versatility > 5% Mastery > 5% Crit > 5% Multistrike > 5% Haste > 10% Stamina > 10% Spell Power

BM Pet Stats:
Mortal Strike > 10% Mastery > 5% Stats > 3% Versatility > 5% Crit > 5% Multistrike > 5% Haste > 10% Stamina > 10% Spellpower

BM gets exotic pets which provide two buffs instead of one. If you are doing arenas, find your teams overall best stats and choose accordingly. Its not just about you on this one!
IV. Which Spec is Best?
So, while BM became the FOTM hunter spec at the end of 6.1, it will no longer be that way in 6.2. Also, with the SV nerfs, Hunters are going to be middle of the pack at best. MM is still easily countered by LoS, BM lost its ability to 100-0 people and SV will have more trouble keeping its consistent pressure. All around Hunters are weaker than 6.1 with SV being the weakest spec.

Technically, all 3 specs are roughly the same. There is no spec that completely trumps the other 3.

Representation is NOT an indication of balance!

I will make a tier list of the specs in 2 different variations: Potential and Simplicity. This should help if you are struggling picking a spec to play:

Potential:
MM>BM>SV

MM has the highest skill cap and the highest potential output. It is typically considered the lesser of the 3 SOLELY because it is the more challenging to play well. However, if played well enough, its burst trumps that of BM's. Yoske/Dillypoo have played MM @2800+ rating (S1). BM is next because pet control is something hunters seem to forget exists. If you can micromanage your pet well enough, its potential damage is incredible. SV is the lowest because it lacks flavor. Its damage doesn't really change much because its really hard to play it incorrectly.

Simplicity:
BM=SV>MM

This is the spec that you will have the easiest time playing. BM and SV are pretty simple to play. They are both spammy and require less pre-planning than MM. MM has so many passives that affect its gameplay so if you don't fully understand the spec, you will have a much more difficult time.

Again though, ALL 3 specs are 2200+ viable but not necessarily Rank 1 viable. Play what you enjoy but play it well!
V. Patch Updates - 6.2 Key Changes
General
  • Aspect of the Fox has been removed.

• Aspect of the Fox wasn't the best ability for PvP. It did have its uses but this change has very little effect on the strength of Hunters.

Marksmanship
  • Aimed Shot now deals 15% more damage.

• Nice buff to MM. However, its not really a change to MM that will help its viablity in Arenas.

Survival
  • Mastery: Essence of the Viper has increased in effectiveness by 19%.
  • Explosive Shot now deals 15% less damage.
  • Serpent Sting no longer deals an initial "tick" of damage when the periodic effect is first applied.

• Mastery Buff is about 1.1% increase in overall damage. Explosive Shot nerf is about a 3% overall damage reduction. The inital tick of Serpent Sting nerf is what kills SV. Refreshing SrS with Arcane Shot actually seems like a DPS loss because you can skip ticks of SrS.

Talents
  • A Murder of Crows now deals 75% of normal damage against player-controlled targets for Beast Mastery Hunters.
  • Barrage now deals only 80% of normal damage against player-controlled targets. Additionally, the ability no longer hits invisible or stealthed targets.

• AMoC nerf ONLY effects BM. AMoC will still be extremely powerful for MM and SV. BM will (might?) be forced to use Blink Strikes or Stampede.
    Barrage nerf effects all specs. Glaive toss will be the standard go to talent. Powershot is still great for burst setups.

Glyphs
  • Glyph of Tranquilizing Shot has switched functionality with Tranquilizing Shot. Glyph of Tranquilizing Shot causes Tranquilizing Shot to cost 40 Focus instead of a 10-second cooldown.

• The Tranq Shot nerfs have been very unfortunate for the class as a whole (thanks BM for ruining everything). However, this change is good for hunters. Now we can Tranq Shot without losing damage and without dropping a glyph. Press this button on Cooldown!

--------------------
    Hotfixes:
    --------------------
    Beast Mastery
  • Bestial Wrath now lasts 15 seconds (up from 10 seconds).

• Survival
  • Black Arrow, Explosive Shot, and Serpent Sting damage increased by 25%.
  • Great post, thanks for collecting this information.
    Very good mate. Short and sweet just the way us, lazy gamers, like it ;)

Thumbs up to you, sir!
    Please sticky this so we can refer the dozen daily posts about PvP to it
    Solid Post, Defs need a sticky as Dillypoo's guide doesn't cover everything and between the two most questions should be answerable.
    Are there any other topics I should add to this? I didn't want to write a guide but wanted to clear up questions about certain aspects of PvP. Are there any other commonly occurring questions that I could answer here that I am missing?
    Update: Which Spec is Best?

This question seems to arise quite frequently as of late. Hope this solves that.
    Hey guys new to the hunter class so forgive me if this is a silly question. But what are the benefits/scenarios when you would use ferocity or cunning for pets?
    02/01/2015 05:42 AMPosted by Soryosan
    Hey guys new to the hunter class so forgive me if this is a silly question. But what are the benefits/scenarios when you would use ferocity or cunning for pets?

You don't use Ferocity in PvP - Cunning for Roar of Sacrifice
    Update: 6.1

Since the 6.1 patch notes have been marked as release, its pretty safe to assume that most of these changes will see the light of Live. With that said, I will still be aware of any other changes coming before patch day!

I. Stat Priority:
    MM Stats:
    Update: Mastery is MM's best stat, behind Versa! The reason you don't stack it is because you move around so much in Arenas. If you plan on only playing BGs, RBGs, or Ashran, check out the specifics in the Gearing Options section below! The priority remains the same!

BM Stats:
    *Mastery > Versa > Multistrike > Crit > Haste

*Update: Mastery has higher damage output then Versa. However, when taking damage, Versa's priority increases significantly. If you are not the primary kill taraget in your Arena Composition, Mastery is better than Versa. This Priority change barely effects gearing options!

See Here: http://goo.gl/RAlzTw (MM | SV | BM)
    -Belt and Enchants change for BM.

II. Gearing Options: (Links go to WoWhead! They are safe, just really long!)
    Enchants:
    Neck, Cloak, Rings
    MM = Versatility
    SV = Versatility
    BM = Versatility or Mastery

For BM, the Versa Enchants = ~2% Dmg Inc & ~1% Dmg Redc VS the Mastery Enchants = ~2.5-3% Dmg Inc. Its really close but I believe that the Dmg Redc out-weighs the higher damage output of Mastery. Damage Reduction gets much better the more you have. Use Mastery if you aren't the primary kill target of your Arena Composition.

If you are the primary kill target of your Arena Comp, Versa's value increases significantly.

IV. Which Spec is Best?
    Update: The 6.1 changes to BM might make it the "most bursty" spec. The MM changes bring MM more inline with the other two specs. The SV changes are hardly nerfs and if anything make SV easier to play. What I have said in this section remains to be true.