People are Crowdfunding an MMO

Games, Gaming and Hardware
There is only one MMO on the market currently that has even come close to matching the good MMO feel i get from WoW and that is FF14: A realm reborn.
I was hopeful for the World of Darkness MMORPG by CCP but then that got canceled. I was hopeful about EQNEXT but then SOE got bought out and the lead devs were laid off. I'm not quite as hopeful about MMORPGs now.
Makes me glad I don't have crows feet. That could destroy a gurls love life.

Wow does need competition.
02/25/2015 10:00 AMPosted by Fraqture
Over half a million dollars in one day.
That is how BAD people are wanting a new MMO.
a very small minority of gamers, just over 6000, are funding the new MMO atm, whereas over 9 million players are still funding WoW...

WoW, even after 10 years, still holds more appeal to more gamers then anything new on the horizon
A new MMO will only kill WoW if it is conceptually better in a way that everybody can agree that it is better. For most people who play, the investment is always too much to give-up and trade straight-across for the same thing.

Things that qualify as "better" for everybody do not necessarily include:
better graphics
more options
more ways to spend time
bigger land area
bigger bad guys
harder content
more mounts
sexier models

Any game that attempts to be "exactly like WoW," but have one or more of these traits will fail miserably. Anything that's worse... well... we've already seen many of those.
02/25/2015 10:15 AMPosted by Steelforge
I hate to admit this but:

World of Warcraft is the only MMO worth playing and 10 years later it is still the best MMO ever made.

Better than UO, EQ, DAoC, GW1, GW2, LOTOR, WAR, AoC, RIFT, ES, Wildstar, Lineage, etc... etc.. etc...

The ONLY thing you can do with those other MMOs is COMPARE them to WoW. But you won't be subbed to them for as long (if they even HAVE a sub) and no matter how hard you try to stay away, you WILL come back to WoW because you KNOW it has NO EQUAL or superior.

Downvote away - you know it's true. You wouldn't even be here READING THIS if you believed otherwise.

That's your personal opinion, not fact. I'm still subbed and reading right now because I have hope, not because there's nothing better out there for me. I found a game that I like much better, have been subbed for over a year, and am not worried that it'll be going anywhere anytime soon. Sure, WoW has given me eight years of fun and I really don't want to quit. I might come back one day to see what's up, or hang out with friends if I DO quit. But it's just because of sentiment, nothing more.
02/25/2015 10:46 AMPosted by Piñata
A new MMO will only kill WoW if it is conceptually better in a way that everybody can agree that it is better.

Nothing will kill WoW anymore than WoW killed Everquest and Ultima Online, both of which are still playable today more than a decade after thier peaks.
90% of Crowdsourced/Kickstarters are money-grabs.

Even Peter Molneux can't be trusted.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/02/on-kickstarter-everyone-is-peter-molyneux/

AT least you KNOW WoW won't evaporate overnight.
02/25/2015 10:15 AMPosted by Steelforge
I hate to admit this but:

World of Warcraft is the only MMO worth playing and 10 years later it is still the best MMO ever made.
Better than UO, EQ, DAoC, GW1, GW2, LOTOR, WAR, AoC, RIFT, ES, Wildstar, Lineage, etc... etc.. etc...

This is just plain not accurate. If the ten million WoW players were forced to play some of the MMOs you listed for 6 months to a year, very few would return to WoW after.

No MMO has been enough better than WoW to kill it, unfortunately, but a few have definitely been better. Sadly, in a market like the MMO market, people really only need one product, so unless it's vastly superior and enough people make the switch, it's just not going to last.

I disagree. I played DAoCamelot 4 years straight and was still heavily involved in it, but the day I tried WoW in 2004 I switched over and never went back. Since then I've tried 5 MMOs (stopped playing WoW and played the new game heavily). Each time after 3 to 5 months of daily play, I lost interest and went back to WoW.

Every game has some parts that they do better than WoW, of course. But WoW has enough different areas that when I lose interest in one, I can go into another. With the start of MoP I focussed on gold-making for a few months, maxing all professions and doing craft dailies (and darkmoon faire stuff) on several characters. After that took me from 25k gold (my previous max) to 540k I lost interest in gold-making. Of course along the way I leveled 4 90s and several 85s. The same thing happened in Draenor, where I have 6 garrison chars, leveling them in parallel (only 2 hit 100 so far) while exploring all the professions.
Blizzard - you have the funds and the opportunity to corner this market for ANOTHER ten years if you actually begin to pump money back into the MMO genre. Why are you not attempting to capitalize here?

If you already are on top of the pile, why would you make a new product that competes with your already successful existing product?
02/25/2015 11:03 AMPosted by Grund
Blizzard - you have the funds and the opportunity to corner this market for ANOTHER ten years if you actually begin to pump money back into the MMO genre. Why are you not attempting to capitalize here?

If you already are on top of the pile, why would you make a new product that competes with your already successful existing product?
square did it, they made FFXIV online that directly competes with their cash cow FFXI online, and now FFXIV is their cash cow that can supplement FFXI
02/25/2015 10:03 AMPosted by Adeles
WoW needs competition.

I don't care if you think WoW is the only good mmo, that is the reality.

WoW has plenty of competition. It's just that nobody wants to play them so they all end up going free to play.
02/25/2015 10:16 AMPosted by Oxodunk
After all the scams i've seen through crowdfounding, i don't trust and won't give money to that funding system anymore.

Yeah, seeing how they can just get away with the money and nothing can be done about it is kinda sad. Looking at TSL for example. People cant even get a refund from kickstarter and its so bad that one of the designers even left to another project because he even couldnt get a hold of the higher up for anything. The game maker pretty much took the money and ran.

I dont know why people are so willing. Even looking at the OP. Nothing says all the money will go into making the game.
Crowdfunding just as often proves "a fool and his money are..." as "this is what people want!".
02/25/2015 11:05 AMPosted by Zaxan
square did it, they made FFXIV online that directly competes with their cash cow FFXI online, and now FFXIV is their cash cow that can supplement FFXI

FFXI is nearly dead. Wow still has millions of subscribers.

All three of Square Enix's online games do not have even 1 million subscribers combined. This means that they're operating in a much smaller space so they can take risks like releasing a new MMORPG and hoping to capture more of the market with it.

In short, FFXI had nothing to lose and FFXIV had everything to gain (potentially).
All three of Square Enix's online games do not have even 1 million subscribers combined.

Source?
02/25/2015 11:18 AMPosted by Zariah
All three of Square Enix's online games do not have even 1 million subscribers combined.

Source?
they have no source, even the website itself claims over 1millions subs atm, but yes, square nearly went bankrupt when FFXIV failed at launch, but its doing fine since 2.0
Waiting for Everquest Next and praying it is worth the wait. They seem to be taking their time with it and that gives me hope that it will be.
The problem with the MMORPG market, as far as I am concerned, is just how stale the genre is. Not just because of the success of WoW alone, but because it seems like once I've played one, I've played them all... Why?

We haven't evolved the MMORPG concept past the stereotypical high-fantasy settings. Tell, can you honestly get me to get invested into another fantasy world/universe? At some point, they're all the same.

All the current MMORPGs out there pretty much offer the same races. Humans, dwarfs, some elves, something orcish and trollish, and maybe, MAYBE something like a reptilian race (ESO and EQ) or draconian, although if there's anything "not quite human", they have a freaking cat race (really? I guess I'm the wrong kind of furry to get the "appeal" of ugly mammals). Some games may introduce a race of giants, and some games may try to incorporate otherworldly beings, but frankly, the choices of races to play are almost all the same.

WoW offers us the choices between "stock" fantasy races (Humans, Night and Blood Elves, Orcs, and Dwarfs) as well as non-standard choices (Undead, Tauren, Pandaren, Worgen, Goblins, Gnomes, and Draenei). Overall, even though WoW's racial choices aren't quite diverse as I'd want them to be (seriously, three mammalian-animal races? Where's my birds and reptiles at?), this is a lot more than what many games out there can offer.

Another issue is that we're pretty much getting the same kind of stories told over and over again due to the constraints of the genre. There's always a looming threat of this all powerful evil sorcerer, or some dangerous necromancer massing massive armies of the undead, or some kind of grand-scale epic that has to be told out, and we adventurers are just banding up like in a typical Tolkien-esque or DnD adventure. There's not wrong with this kind of adventure and storytelling, but when that's all you're pushing the genre to do, it never will evolve past that point.

Really, I wanted to see Wildstar succeed since it was an MMORPG of a completely different setting. A sci-fi adventure is something new, something unexpected of the genre. We have a larger option of races to play as without worrying about pre-established stereotypes (unless you're a bug or cyborg race, then everyone assumes you're of a hive-mind), we have a bigger variety of stories to tell (even overlapping into the fantasy genre stuff, if you wish)... Yet that game failed because the developers created the gameplay towards the less than 10% and thus everyone else wanted nothing to do with... That's a bad, bad business move.

Honestly, I think that the only way a true competition can start up; someone has to either:

1. Come up with a game that takes place in a completely different setting away from the usual high-fantasy setting. Mind you, the game play must be good and least try to offer balanced mechanics in order to get people interested. New ideas are yes, scary, but if someone doesn't try it, nobody will.

2. Revise and actually try to do something original within the fantasy genre, similar to the twists Blizzard has done. Seriously, not everyone wants to play as a human, elf, dwarf, or orc all the time. Create some unique races or find races that nobody has tried out yet. Try telling some different kind of stories... Overall, try to do something that's fresh. And again, make sure the gameplay is good...
And, just because selective quoting is fun:

All three of Square Enix's

subscribers