People are Crowdfunding an MMO

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Someone let me know when one of these crowdsourced MMOs actually launches. The ones I've seen out there (such as Camelot Unchained) hit their 'goal' and yet are still hurting for money as they're developing. This is not a cheap business to get involved in and as more of these fail to live up to the initial hype I suspect we'll see less and less try to go that route.
$500k gets you about 1/3 of your TDR done.
02/25/2015 11:18 AMPosted by Zariah
Source?

"Three major MMO titles - Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn which began operation last August, Dragon Quest 10, which was launched in August 2012, and Final Fantasy 11, which has entered its thirteenth year of operation-maintain nearly 1,000,000 paying subscribers all together, and have established a solid revenue base," said Square Enix President and Representative Director Yosuke Matsuda.[emphasis added]

Source: http://arcadesushi.com/square-enixs-mmos-total-under-1-million-subscribers-2015-plans/
02/25/2015 10:03 AMPosted by Adeles
WoW needs competition.

I don't care if you think WoW is the only good mmo, that is the reality.

WoW has desperately needed real competition for years now. :/
Crowdfunding has bit me too hard too many times for me to even consider pledging.
02/25/2015 10:16 AMPosted by Oxodunk
After all the scams i've seen through crowdfounding, i don't trust and won't give money to that funding system anymore.

You almost have to wait for the third phase crowdfunder from any given company. I see a lot of them as I enjoy tabletop gaming, and there is a lot of flux in fantasy tabletop games right now. Some crowdfunders appear to have been nothing more than scams. Others in more responsible or honest hands have grown companies from mere concept to competitors, and that is a cool thing indeed.
02/25/2015 11:41 AMPosted by Grund
02/25/2015 11:18 AMPosted by Zariah
Source?

[quote]"Three major MMO titles - Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn which began operation last August, Dragon Quest 10, which was launched in August 2012, and Final Fantasy 11, which has entered its thirteenth year of operation-maintain nearly 1,000,000 paying subscribers all together, and have established a solid revenue base," said Square Enix President and Representative Director Yosuke Matsuda.[emphasis added]

Source: http://arcadesushi.com/square-enixs-mmos-total-under-1-million-subscribers-2015-plans/

Thanks. In the interim, I found that in SE's annual report. A little disappointing that they fudged the "2 million" players that they were touting on 14's website last year, but at least the game's not on a downward spiral.
02/25/2015 11:41 AMPosted by Grund
http://arcadesushi.com/square-enixs-mmos-total-under-1-million-subscribers-2015-plans/

This is why checking sources is a good thing. Check the polygon article that they referenced http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/2/7480177/square-enix-final-fantasy-14-final-fantasy-11-dragon-quest-10-subscribers) (to find that they had to recant/adjust their article most likely because square chewed them out for sensationalist and inaccurate journalism and citing a source over 9 months old.

Last I saw all square has said was that there were around 2.5 million registered users on ff14. Which is nebulous but no more so than how blizzard cooks their numbers to come up with their supposed 'subscriber' count.
02/25/2015 10:00 AMPosted by Fraqture
Crowfall is attempting to get funds via crowd funding. And it is currently working. Over half a million dollars in one day.
That is how BAD people are wanting a new MMO.

Do you honestly think that if some people aren't playing wow that it means wow is in decline?
The MMO Market is dead for all intents and purposes. Its stale and no game competes with wow and the numbers show.

Its why blizzard has so SO SO MUCH SLACK in comparison to anyone because well they can simply put, people will whine and moan but will still pay up at the end of the day. GD is proof of that. Blizzard got you by the balls and they know it.

I don't even recommend mmos to anyone who never played one before since really the only big fish is wow and its the easiest to play and get your feet wet. There are good games out there but they are niches and who knows how the game will go with new content over the course of time. Any new mmo lives and dies faster than even console multiplayer games

What will bring back the mmo market I'm gonna say the unpopular thing is the death of wow. wow must be sacrificed (servers shut down) in order to bring back any growth in the market its simply to big and it has been proven time after time that no new company can even breath the same air let alone compete in the market. Hell to be fair I don't think that would work since most would probably not even play a new mmo. At this point imho the MMORPG was a interesting idea people had but clearly was failed experiment of a genre.

I would like to see competition as that will be a boon to all the players and make blizzard not have the slack it has but again what is there that is remotely close to wow at least in the US/EURO market.
02/25/2015 11:51 AMPosted by Synae
This is why checking sources is a good thing. Check the polygon article that they referenced http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/2/7480177/square-enix-final-fantasy-14-final-fantasy-11-dragon-quest-10-subscribers) (to find that they had to recant/adjust their article most likely because square chewed them out for sensationalist and inaccurate journalism and citing a source over 9 months old.

Last I saw all square has said was that there were around 2.5 million registered users on ff14. Which is nebulous but no more so than how blizzard cooks their numbers to come up with their supposed 'subscriber' count

Ok, but my point was that FFXI is dead or dying. I'm glad to see that FFIV is doing better.
02/25/2015 12:23 PMPosted by Deadlyoutlaw
The MMO Market is dead for all intents and purposes. Its stale and no game competes with wow and the numbers show.

The issue is people try and compete with WoW instead of doing new things.

Conversely, people expect new games to have as much content as WoW at release outside of the leveling process.
02/25/2015 12:47 PMPosted by Ferliona
The issue is people try and compete with WoW instead of doing new things.

Conversely, people expect new games to have as much content as WoW at release outside of the leveling process.

exactly take a risk that most companies won't take and people will complain that its too dissimilar from wow. Make a game thats safe but new people will say its too similar from wow.

You can't win from any angle
02/25/2015 10:45 AMPosted by Zaxan
02/25/2015 10:00 AMPosted by Fraqture
Over half a million dollars in one day.
That is how BAD people are wanting a new MMO.
a very small minority of gamers, just over 6000, are funding the new MMO atm, whereas over 9 million players are still funding WoW...

WoW, even after 10 years, still holds more appeal to more gamers then anything new on the horizon

And that is where you are wrong.

WoW is only holding appeal as it is all there is in terms of polished MMO's. That is like you saying Comcast is loved by the customers due to having so many of them..when in fact in most areas they are the ONLY internet supplier available so people have no choice but to be subscribers and Comcast is the most hated company around in terms of cable companies but people have no choice but to use them.

Same here with WoW. People are only here still as it is the ONLY MMO really available that is decent. But that does not mean those 9 million people are actually happy or content with the game..more so they are only playing still because it is all that is available out of all MMO's that is not fully mismanaged or just buggy and unplayable..
Kickstarter for games with long development cycles. Some funders are people who just have too much money.
02/25/2015 12:55 PMPosted by Edria
02/25/2015 10:45 AMPosted by Zaxan
... a very small minority of gamers, just over 6000, are funding the new MMO atm, whereas over 9 million players are still funding WoW...

WoW, even after 10 years, still holds more appeal to more gamers then anything new on the horizon

And that is where you are wrong.

WoW is only holding appeal as it is all there is in terms of polished MMO's. That is like you saying Comcast is loved by the customers due to having so many of them..when in fact in most areas they are the ONLY internet supplier available so people have no choice but to be subscribers and Comcast is the most hated company around in terms of cable companies but people have no choice but to use them.

Same here with WoW. People are only here still as it is the ONLY MMO really available that is decent. But that does not mean those 9 million people are actually happy or content with the game..more so they are only playing still because it is all that is available out of all MMO's that is not fully mismanaged or just buggy and unplayable..
if i were wrong, more ppl would be funding the new MMO
02/25/2015 12:55 PMPosted by Edria

This is a poor analogy. Comcast has a government-sanctioned monopoly to provide cable service to many areas. Anyone who has the time and resources is free to make a better MMO than Wow. Would it be difficult to compete with a megalith that has been in development for 10 years? Yes, but it's not impossible. Impossible would be trying to compete with Comcast because you would not get the licenses you need to operate on the communication infrastructure to provide a competing service.
People always assume it will one mmo that unseats WoW. That doesn't have to be the case. It could very well be a number of smaller "niche" games eating away at market share until warcraft itself becomes a "niche" game.
I just found out about the game and thinking to get the $38 bundle. However, some deals there sound pretty ridiculous. The most expensive bundle is like $10,025. I know they need money but DAYM... The game looks pretty interesting though, I must admit :)
02/25/2015 10:40 AMPosted by Ithyn
I was hopeful for the World of Darkness MMORPG by CCP but then that got canceled. I was hopeful about EQNEXT but then SOE got bought out and the lead devs were laid off. I'm not quite as hopeful about MMORPGs now.

I wanted World of Darkness to happen also , you should check out Revival mmo which is gonna be similar to World of Darkness in gameplay .