Final Fantasy 14 Reaches 4 million

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
02/27/2015 10:16 AMPosted by Alcyne
Given the legendary fame of the Final Final series and the gigantic breadth of their appeal and name-recognition the fact they they only have 4 million is actually not good.

The game isn't multilanguage like WoW.
Imagine if the game was in spanish and portuguese, it'd lure people from spain, portugal and all south america like WoW does for being multilanguage.
Given the legendary fame of the Final Final series and the gigantic breadth of their appeal and name-recognition the fact they they only have 4 million is actually not good.

This is rather silly logic. There is nothing even remotely true about this statement given just how bad FFXIV 1.0 was, the horrendous press, and subs numbers from their wildly popular at the time previous MMORPG FFXI.

4 million for FFXIV ARR is a tremendous accomplishment. And I say this as someone who doesn't even like the game.

Just because the franchise can successfully sell single player console games and had it's breakout hit more than 10 years ago doesn't automatically mean their third foray into online gaming should only be measured against benchmarks and sub numbers that no other MMORPG on the market other than WoW can sustain.
02/27/2015 06:15 AMPosted by Jette
Guess we ff14 is a wow killer. Of course with the worthless patch 6.1 and the lack of content for a 50 dollar expansion is anyone really surprised people are starting to go somewhere else...

Nothing is a WoW killer. Don't you people ever learn?
02/27/2015 10:22 AMPosted by Msiete

The game isn't multilanguage like WoW.
Imagine if the game was in spanish and portuguese, it'd lure people from spain, portugal and all south america like WoW does for being multilanguage.

...it would probably barely make a difference. Anybody in Latin America who is aware of FF and a potential buyer is probably already aware of it. Meaning they also are able to speak English. Like me.
02/27/2015 10:15 AMPosted by Msiete
02/27/2015 10:08 AMPosted by Loveable
So here's another question. It looks to be dominantly Asian it seems, does it have a healthy NA population?

Yes, and they don't go around insulting and being racists like in here.

I had someone say something harsh to me a few weeks ago, and I responded "Thanks for being polite about it". He apologized, and said I didn't deserve what he said.

He. Actually. Apologized.

That's not to say that no one ever hurls insults, because they definitely do. But they're generally a lot more tolerant of screw ups, depending on what kind of content you're doing.
That game forces Australia into playing on their EU servers and making it not only painful in paying extra due to conversion rates but also increased lag in a game that is holds a lot of content behind raiding.

As much as it might be new and fresh, I have zero plans on going back to an account I had once started when AAR released./lol arr
02/27/2015 10:15 AMPosted by Msiete
02/27/2015 10:08 AMPosted by Loveable
So here's another question. It looks to be dominantly Asian it seems, does it have a healthy NA population?

Yes, and they don't go around insulting and being racists like in here.

Did you just take my question as a racist jab? I'm so confused...
I would assume he was accusing people in general chats of being jerks/racists in WoW
It's not an apples to apples comparison with WoWs 10 million paid subscribers. I'd bet it has only around 1.5-2 million active subs.
I had a good time, but it can get lonely playing by yourself. Everyone I met was really friendly and willing to help/ answer questions, and the game looks phenomenal both on PC and PS4(but using a PS4 controller was a little strange w/ targetting).
02/27/2015 10:49 AMPosted by Scruff
I had a good time, but it can get lonely playing by yourself. Everyone I met was really friendly and willing to help/ answer questions, and the game looks phenomenal both on PC and PS4(but using a PS4 controller was a little strange w/ targetting).

Find a good FC!
02/27/2015 07:30 AMPosted by Ryios
FFXIV 2.0 has decent content, but sadly it was all designed for crazily small groups of 8... That is a game breaking design decision in my opinion.

40 is to many, 8 is not enough, the sweet spot would be groups of 6 with 18 man raids. Where have I seen that before? Oh yeah, FFXI!!.... You would think SE could at least carry over the good things from their own game instead of just trying to be reinvented.

The other turn off for me in FFXIV is it's a gear grind just like wow. They release a new set of turns in BCB and bam, all your il90 gear is obsolete...

In FFXI, I was 75 still wearing Leaping Lizzy boots, and I wanted to do the end game content because it was crazy hard and fun, not because it dropped a piece of gear.

TBH, IMO, FFXI was the best MMO ever made and they ruined it with the level cap raise to 99.

They watered ffxiv down so hard,

Just look at this image depicting the FFXI Black Mage vs the FFXIV Black Mage,

http://i.imgur.com/BcFD9Wm.jpg

As someone who still plays WoW, FFXI, and FFXIV (played FFXI since 2 months after NA release), let's be real here.

That blm vs. blm picture is blown way out of proportion. Where to start......On the XI version of blm, it's lopped ontop of the skill chain chart. MOST of the background of that XI blm cannot be done by blm itself. All those things behind all the rest of the colored text in little black text, if it doesn't read "Staff" "Scythe" "Dagger" or "Club", blm can't do it, and even then it can't use all the skills associated to those weapons. Yes, XI's black mage has Blizzard I, II, III, IV, V as opposed to XIV's I II and III. II III and IV aren't really very useful at all. You either want to pack on as much magic attack bonus as possible and fire off the V, or as much magic damage bonus+ and spam I's. The same logic applies to Fire, Water, Aero, Thunder, and Stone. Magic Bursting is a great idea on paper, but in practice it almost never works and if it does it's usually by a BLU soloing a skill chain or an accident. Elemental enfeebles, you have 6, you can only have 3 applied at once because they start canceling each other out. The 3 spike spells are mostly fluff and wasted MP unless you're soloing. Warp and Warp 2, FFXIV's blm doesn't need because it's not limited to blm in XIV. Everyone can cast it, effectively. I'm not saying that XIV's blm is as active as XI's, I'm just saying that picture is rather misleading, especially considering XI has been out nigh a decade longer then XIV has.

Crazily small groups of 8, I think it's better that way. Yes, XI did have events that ranged from solo to parties as big as 64 people, but the current endgame is being made to revolve around 6-10 again. Can do higher if you want however. The change from 10 man to required 20 has killed my progression in this. More people is fun, yes, but it's a hassle to gather people. So we're just going to have to disagree on this one and that's that.

Let's not pretend that FFXI has no gear grind compared to XIV. If I were to do Salvage daily and collect Alexanderite, I would finish making the Terpsichore(Read: Dancer ultimate weapon) sometime around July/August, luck pending(I started making this around November last year btw). I say finish, but in reality it would only be the level 75 version of the Terpsichore. It wouldn't be "truly" finished. So yes, XI is a huge gear grind to.

Lastly I like it at 99. That is all.

Both XI and XIV are solid games and I enjoy them both. Really though these two games, their comparisons should end around the name "Final Fantasy" and "MMO", they play completely differently other then that. XI is more the EQ era of MMOs, and XIV is more like WoW. I wouldn't think anyone would say EQ plays like WoW.
02/27/2015 06:19 AMPosted by Somaliu
OMG people can play more than one game at a time ???? Say it isn't so.

And 40% of the subscriber base is not 'killing' anything.

Gratz to FF14 if they got that many this early. Now lets see if 10 yrs later they can keep the momentum up.

Given that it takes time to build a player base, this is a bit silly. WOW wasn't at 10 million people a year after it was released. Even after two years it was only at 6,000,000 - hardly a tough plateau for FF14 to reach given that WoW has started bleeding subs again.

02/27/2015 10:42 AMPosted by Arcanax
It's not an apples to apples comparison with WoWs 10 million paid subscribers. I'd bet it has only around 1.5-2 million active subs.

I'll take that bet. Even money. You're absolutely not correct.
02/27/2015 08:10 AMPosted by Gaborik
02/27/2015 06:15 AMPosted by Jette
Guess we ff14 is a wow killer. Of course with the worthless patch 6.1 and the lack of content for a 50 dollar expansion is anyone really surprised people are starting to go somewhere else...

Oh can I see a few sources

1) where people are leaving WoW because of 6.1

2) those leaving wow because of 6.1 are now playing ff14

3) how a game with 4 million (which is good don't get me wrong) is killing a game with 10 million

I'll be waiting for these sources...something tells me I should get really really comfortable because I will be here for a very very long time...

Hey OP I'm still waiting on the links to back up your post...
I liked FF ARR, hell I even enjoyed dungeons and whatnot in it, I loved the world, and how beautiful the game is.

I do not like how slow paced abilities are with the long GCD, that and it doesn't hold a candle (at least in my eyes) to wows PvE.

People can play multiple games though. Is it a wow killer? Nope. Because some people have different tastes in the games.

FF is a good game, wow is a good game. I actually hope FF does continue to compete with wow, maybe it'll make blizzard strive for more quality, then.
02/27/2015 09:17 AMPosted by Hunterloots
My friend and I tried FF14...quit within a couple hours when we realized we couldn't group up, share quests, and quest together. The only way to actually quest together is to start as the same race, pick up the same quest, and hope you are on the same stage as your friend is.

Big buzzkill to find the only "group" content you get while leveling are the FATEs, random events, and dungeons. Questing is a solo experience at its core.

Let's see.....

"Only way to actually quest together is to start as the same race"
False. This is not like WoW where your race picks your starting zone. The Galka, Hume, Mithra, Tarutaru, and Elvaan can all start in the same place. What decides where you start is your class choice and it is not 1 class per zone. There are 3 zones you can start in, and 2 have 3 classes, the last has 2. Quite a far cry from needing to be exactly the same to start in the same place.

"Couldn't group up and quest together"
False. While true I don't think you can share quests regardless like the "share quest" button in WoW does, you can totally do the same quests as other players at the same time, barring a special few class quests. UNLESS, like WoW, you are on a trial account. On a trial account you can't *invite* people to join a group but you can join a group. The work around everyone uses is to have some kind third party invite both of you to a party and have the two trial members join it.
02/27/2015 08:30 AMPosted by Shado
02/27/2015 08:20 AMPosted by Alidir
Yea I had it rough enough as an Elvaan BLM. No way I could of done mage classes on a Galka. Never could bring myself to play a Taru. Even with all the damn mana they have lol.

Elvaan WHM.

R.I.P.

I'm honestly surprised how good Galka look in mage gear, though. I guess that's the trade off for playing a race that makes the worse casters by design.

True. In all honesty though the only race that looked goofy in gear was the Taru-Taru. Nothing like seeing Galka running around in subligar though.
It's certainly not a bad game. But I enjoy the animations and style of WoW more. So my sub remains with WoW, after trying it. Both are good games with slightly different audiences. Why does it always have to be some sort of competition? That's what confuses me...
02/27/2015 11:21 AMPosted by Basanda
02/27/2015 09:17 AMPosted by Hunterloots
My friend and I tried FF14...quit within a couple hours when we realized we couldn't group up, share quests, and quest together. The only way to actually quest together is to start as the same race, pick up the same quest, and hope you are on the same stage as your friend is.

Big buzzkill to find the only "group" content you get while leveling are the FATEs, random events, and dungeons. Questing is a solo experience at its core.

Let's see.....

"Only way to actually quest together is to start as the same race"
False. This is not like WoW where your race picks your starting zone. The Galka, Hume, Mithra, Tarutaru, and Elvaan can all start in the same place. What decides where you start is your class choice and it is not 1 class per zone. There are 3 zones you can start in, and 2 have 3 classes, the last has 2. Quite a far cry from needing to be exactly the same to start in the same place.

"Couldn't group up and quest together"
False. While true I don't think you can share quests regardless like the "share quest" button in WoW does, you can totally do the same quests as other players at the same time, barring a special few class quests. UNLESS, like WoW, you are on a trial account. On a trial account you can't *invite* people to join a group but you can join a group. The work around everyone uses is to have some kind third party invite both of you to a party and have the two trial members join it.

I can actually see why that person was frustrated though. I started playing alone, so I didn't have an issue with trying to group with anyone. But I also had no idea that I'd be stuck in my starting zone for 15 levels, with absolutely no way to go anywhere else or switch to any class that was based out of another city. So if they picked classes that started in different cities without knowing how the game worked...no, they can't group or quest together. The storyline quests definitely don't encourage you to group up, either. Leveling your first class is a largely solo experience. :(

It's a shame that they only played for a few hours though. I think the game starts getting really good after 20.
02/27/2015 08:07 AMPosted by Sickening
02/27/2015 07:41 AMPosted by Gateway
In order for something to be a WoW killer, it would have to actually kill WoW. FF14 may have 4 million subscribers at the moment, but it remains to be seen if it can keep them all, and also if it can take any of Warcrafts subscribers. And with it's tiny 4 million players, it's still way below WoWs numbers. Hardly a WoW killer. lol

Again...wow does not have 10 million players...it has 10 million subs. Even if it did have 10 million subs 40% is not a tiny fraction. Lol. Take a 40% pay cut and tell me how tiny that percentage is.

So, you've interviewed each and every sub holder and the only ones playing FF are people who've dropped their WoW subs? Leading to your famous pay cut? No one has both games?

I fear for the death of logical thinking around here.