Blizzard, Twitter & Harassment

General Discussion

Do you think there was any reason other than marketing to do the integration?

Like I said, explain the logic. Because I'm really not seeing how my single tweet (or any future ones) is going to be a part of some vast imaginary advertising campaign.

No, clearly you're not seeing it.

Every time anyone uses the integration feature to make a positive..."look what I did/got/am doing/etc"...tweet about WoW it goes to every follower they have. Many people have many followers who are not WoW players. Those followers may, based on seeing tweets like yours, decide to check out WoW.

I hope that explains it for you, because that's why the integration exists, and for no other reason. Do you honestly think they would have spent the money on the integration work without a clear and compelling ROI?
02/25/2015 11:29 AMPosted by Compact
Also: the tweet in the OPs picture is marked Feb 23. What date did the integration go live again?

/thread
I honestly don't understand the picture in the first place.

edit: The pig in the image is cute though.
02/25/2015 11:44 AMPosted by Murgatroyd
Many people have many followers who are not WoW players. Those followers may, based on seeing tweets like yours, decide to check out WoW.

Word of mouth advertising has been around since the first person sold something and a customer told someone else about it.

Also guess what? People who follow my twitter account were already seeing and hearing about WoW. Strange thing twitter is, you follow those who want to hear from, you're not assigned random followers.

Do you honestly think they would have spent the money on the integration work without a clear and compelling ROI?
From what I understand Twitter has made it pretty simple to integrate twitter into websites. As Bash said https://twitter.com/Bashiok/status/570670293301092352

Can we not just do things because we think it'd be cool?
Not bad, OP, not bad. 7/10.

Like I said, explain the logic. Because I'm really not seeing how my single tweet (or any future ones) is going to be a part of some vast imaginary advertising campaign.

Every time anyone uses the integration feature to make a positive..."look what I did/got/am doing/etc"...tweet about WoW it goes to every follower they have. Many people have many followers who are not WoW players. Those followers may, based on seeing tweets like yours, decide to check out WoW.

I hope that explains it for you, because that's why the integration exists, and for no other reason. Do you honestly think they would have spent the money on the integration work without a clear and compelling ROI?

Yeah - the marketing angle is fairly simple.

Twitter accelerates word of mouth advertising. Every barrier you remove increases the spread of information. There was a very simple barrier in place - you had to alt+tab and copy/paste. Adding the ability to generate and share images from within the game (automated in some cases) increases sharing of wow related info which increases the viral spread of wow content.
02/25/2015 11:40 AMPosted by Compact
02/25/2015 11:32 AMPosted by Sarcastic

Like they didn't hype the F out of it before hand so people would have their handles before it went live? Please.

So to sum up this thread. You think Blizzard should be responsible for policing something they neither control nor have the tools to do so?

02/25/2015 11:31 AMPosted by Bomdanil
I think they're saying that WoW integrated accounts should be held liable under the Blizzard ToS, rather than that they are held liable.

When you link it to your account (my is one I made for Baneus BTW), you agree to the Twitter ToS and guidelines. The only thing Blizzard can do is unlink the account from the game client. They can't suspend or action the Twitter part of the account and I have no idea what sort of visibility they have over how the client integrates with twitter.

EDIT: lol OP quickly proves just how much of a hypocrite they really are. As I said one of 'those" people. The type to watch HBO just so they can complain that it's smut.

+1 Pretty much all of this.
02/25/2015 11:13 AMPosted by Pozikta
It's why we all (male and female) need to be careful to protect ourselves and use social media cautiously (easier said than done I know).

Yes, be careful.

It's very easy to protect yourself. You don't put out your real name and image on the freakin internet, that's how. All the people who scoff at people like me being paranoid and blindly trust social media and everything on the net will prolly be victimized by crap like that and worse.

If you want to use Twitter for WoW things, make a fake account like I did. Never give up Any pertinent personal information on the public internet, EVER.
Hmm so what you are saying is its trade chat only outside the game too.

So, you're saying that people have followers weak willed enough to do something they didn't want to do in the first place? I mean there are a lot of weak willed players out there (these forums hold many examples of that), but the majority of WoW players are likely to have followers that play WoW or similar games already. That's if people didn't just create a standalone Twitter account for their character anyway.

The bike building thing they did would have hit a much larger audience. Now that was pure marketing, nothing else.
02/25/2015 11:48 AMPosted by Fairaday
Many people have many followers who are not WoW players. Those followers may, based on seeing tweets like yours, decide to check out WoW.

Word of mouth advertising has been around since the first person sold something and a customer told someone else about it.

Also guess what? People who follow my twitter account were already seeing and hearing about WoW. Strange thing twitter is, you follow those who want to hear from, you're not assigned random followers.

Yes, and for you there is likely to be little change in what your followers see. For others, the integration may motivate to tweet...or tweet more...about WoW. For still others, like me, my twitter feed also includes business associates, professional association members, etc, who have never seen and will never see a tweet from me talking about my gaming. It's just not part of what I discuss there.
02/25/2015 11:51 AMPosted by Compact

So, you're saying that people have followers weak willed enough to do something they didn't want to do in the first place? I mean there are a lot of weak willed players out there (these forums hold many examples of that), but the majority of WoW players are likely to have followers that play WoW or similar games already. That's if people didn't just create a standalone Twitter account for their character anyway.

The bike building thing they did would have hit a much larger audience. Now that was pure marketing, nothing else.

Of course. How the heck do you think marketing works, anyway? People only buy what they need? Seriously? People are not moved to consider something they had not previously considered by word of mouth advertising? Really?
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Yes, and for you there is likely to be little change in what your followers see. For others, the integration may motivate to tweet...or tweet more...about WoW. For still others, like me, my twitter feed also includes business associates, professional association members, etc, who have never seen and will never see a tweet from me talking about my gaming. It's just not part of what I discuss there.

Like I said, make a gaming account just to hang out with gamers ;)

EDIT: you can guarantee that Baneus Prime is not my real name (though I use it in so many games it may as well be).
Curiosity = weak willed?

Okay, I guess.....
02/25/2015 11:19 AMPosted by Sarcastic
02/25/2015 11:12 AMPosted by Shimmery
I don't...what? What does that tweet have to do with the WOW integration. Neither of those are images from the game.

I mean I don't use Twitter either and see it as a huge waste of dev resources, but...harassment? How does that even work, are you following someone that's harassing you on Twitter? How is that Blizzard's problem?

Of course you "don't ... what", because you don't think. That tweet has to do with the WoW intergration because they both came about after WoW intergrated twitter into it's game. Critical thinking is hard!

No one is harassing me, I don't tweet. Did you not understand that from my original post?

Blizzard has, effectively, given those who like to harass other players another vehicle to do so, and it's completely unchecked. Carte Blanche to say what you want and be as destructive towards another player as possible, even if they tweet or not.

The moment one allows opinion, statement or action in a game to affect them at home is the moment one needs to re-evaluate ones mental investments. Seriously. It's a deeper problem than crying for someone to save you from negativity. Sheesh.
02/25/2015 11:40 AMPosted by Compact
When you link it to your account (my is one I made for Baneus BTW)

Wait what...Compact is Baneus?? I should turn on my cogshanks more often.

Now, why do I like Compact and sneer at Baneus? Does the avatar make that much of a difference?? Should make this comment on anther thread since this one's gonna be baleeted cuz the OP went batpoo nutso.
02/25/2015 11:58 AMPosted by Zariah
Curiosity = weak willed?

Okay, I guess.....

Probably a bad example. I retract the statement (though not the one that some people on the forums and in-game are weak willed).
02/25/2015 12:00 PMPosted by Compact
02/25/2015 11:58 AMPosted by Zariah
Curiosity = weak willed?

Okay, I guess.....

Probably a bad example. I retract the statement (though not the one that some people on the forums and in-game are weak willed).

Well, lol, that last bit would be crazy to retract...it's too true. :)