lunker fishing tips needed, please

Professions
Yeah it just takes time. Alliance can just jump off the garrison to the east and you'll be able to catch Blind Lake Sturgeon right there from the nearby rock. Hop on a strider, go a bit into the ocean and stand on one of the mushrooms sticking out of the water and you can get Sea Scorpions.

Two close sources so you don't have to go too far out of your way.
03/08/2015 06:08 PMPosted by Blastinya
03/08/2015 05:33 PMPosted by Hindclaw
The secret is Nagrand and Talador. There are places where you can hardly run for 30 seconds without seeing another pool of either Fat Sleeper or Blackwater Whiptail on your map.

Post-6.1, fishing in pools is the only way to go. You don't even really need that much of a fishing buff. I think I was rocking +130 total on top of my 700 skill and I was getting plenty. Granted, RNG is RNG so sometimes I'd get 3 in 10 minutes, and other times I'd hit a dry spell.

But it is all about the pools now. Find places where lots of pools spawn.

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. Pools are supposed to give an increased chance for lunkers in 6.1 but I have been unable to locate good pool spawn locations. At least now I can narrow down my search.

If you need Sea Scorpion lunkers go to the beach at Southport in Spires of Arak. There's actually 4-5 pools along the coast there, really good spot. There's also a bunch of pools in Southern Nagrand too, but it's not as Alliance-friendly as Southport is.
Joining fishing groups helps too. Sometimes there's groups forming in custom in the premade browser, people share the pheromones in them
04/13/2015 01:47 PMPosted by Yzzami
Joining fishing groups helps too. Sometimes there's groups forming in custom in the premade browser, people share the pheromones in them

Oh that's a nice idea. Never noticed those groups when I look at LFG but I may be searching just for traders or something.
I can attest Fishing Pools is faster.

I take the route from Pinchwhistle and go north up the coast for Sea Scorpion pools and I typically get five Lunkers within 15 minutes. The absurdity of this was so that I had to take Vivianne on my fishing trips with me thanks to Garrison Hearthstone cooldown.
My advice is to fish on a raft. It won't help you catch lunker's faster, but when Nat shows up to rag on you about your catch or whether you have a cooler or not, the idiot falls off the raft and drowns.

Definitely helps offset the frustration.
^my comment.

Also, the pheromone fish stack. That DID seem to help things along faster when I had several going at once.
I've gotten the fishing hat, pole and one of the pets so far. And I haven't even been fishing much anymore. (I used to fish a lot though.) I also don't have Nat in my fishing shack, and only sometimes use bait. His fishing trait literally does nothing, my Nat has Treasure Hunter so he is always out on missions, and I still catch Lunkers.

Apparently you cap out at 1100 fishing, which is pretty easy to get, Worm for 200, Hat for 100 and Pole for 100, that's all you need. But only getting 2 in 60 minutes just seems like really bad luck.

04/13/2015 06:11 AMPosted by Zsigmond
It just takes patience.

fishing 700+ (I don't think higher helps)
bait
secluded fishing spot
prepare to be bored

It does, the last I read, going above 700 will increase your chances, capping at 1100. Which apparently brings you around 4-5% chance to catch Lunkers.

Also, people say to fish in pools. But that won't change anything. The only change to pools since 6.1 was that you always catch Enormous Fish in pools, regardless of fishing level.
Last night, lava pool outside garrison. Started fishing in the pool then baited it up and within the 10-minute lure, got two lunkers back to back! Super shocked.

Cave dweller murloc gave me 2 coins a few days ago. I'm rolling in coins! Now I'm up to...11 or something.

Maybe sometime in 2017, I'll be able to buy the mount.
04/13/2015 06:11 AMPosted by Zsigmond
It just takes patience.

fishing 700+ (I don't think higher helps)
bait
secluded fishing spot
prepare to be bored

Patch notes in 6.1 stated higher the skill higher the catch rate.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/17561381/
"
[/quote] •Lunkers can now be caught from fishing pools and have an improved catch rate with higher fishing skill. [quote]
Also, people say to fish in pools. But that won't change anything. The only change to pools since 6.1 was that you always catch Enormous Fish in pools, regardless of fishing level.

I've spent a considerable amount of time fishing in and out of pools before and after 6.1. It truly does feel like pools make a big difference. I'm going to collect data and report back, since El is gone. :(
I have fished for lunkers for a few weeks since 6.1 dropped to get the Crimson strider mount and exalted with Nat Pagle (Working on the Pets and other goodies now) so i have TONS of experience with fishing from Pools during the time since 6.1 dropped.

6.1 Average lunkers from pools per 10 minute worm supreme fishing buff = 2-5 Lunkers on average

My VERY painful testing today fishing in open water for 90 minutes = 8 lunkers (9 worm supremes)
I then switched back to fishing from pools for 20 minutes (Two worm supremes) and I got 7 Lunkers.

So yeah, anyone who says the pool drop rate is not better in 6.1 knows not what they are talking about based on my experience AND the Patch notes referenced above for 6.1 improvements to the fishing shack in the Garrrison section of the notes.
I fish in Shadowmoon Valley. I just take my water strider up and down the river to a pool and fish until it's gone. I can usually turn in my 5 lunkers before my hearth is ready.