Prot weapon speed

Paladin
Hey. I leveled a pally a while back, and I was told that if I was going to be tanking large numbers of mobs that I wanted a fast sword to increase the number of procs I get from melee swings. It seems to me that there are fewer on-swing proc abilities that prot pallies have nowadays, so is it still advisable to go with a fast weapon, or do I want to get a whatever-speed weapon for stronger HotR hits anymore?
fast weapons actually get fewer procs on average.

you want a slow weapon.
It does? How does that work? Do weapon proc rates scale to compensate for weapon speed?
12/27/2010 11:38 AMPosted by Rathaeshtar
Do weapon proc rates scale to compensate for weapon speed?

yep

which means slow weapons produce more consistency and higher average procs.

slow is also much better for parry haste and reckoning.
I thought parry haste didn't exist anymore.
12/27/2010 11:42 AMPosted by Rathaeshtar
I thought parry haste didn't exist anymore.

it does

it's just less of a factor since crushing blows are gone. Also there are plenty of bosses that have it disabled.

when a player or mob (that doesn't have it disabled) parries an attack their swing timer is reduced by 40%

and while I'm at it reckoning is 8 seconds or 4 swings of double melee. using the 4 swings in 6 seconds wastes two seconds of double melee. A slow weapon uses the full 8 seconds of double melee.
Can be rough getting a slow "tank" weapon pre-81. While leveling, is it better to have a fast weapon with defensive stats or a slow weapon with dps stats? I assume that, realistically, it's a wash and you just want the best of whatever you can get.
slow weapon with DPS stats

and just in general while leveling you should actually pick up DPS > tank stats > healer stats

while concentrating on the most important stat: ilevel which translates to weapon damage and armor, the two most important stats
To get 4 swings off within 8 seconds don't you need a 2.0 or slower swing speed after haste?
Sounds like a faster weapon gets more benefit than a slower one. I've been rockin a Slow Str DPS weapon on my Protadin and doing well, but I'm receptive to the uses of a speedier weapon, if they apply things like Seal of Truth more quickly.
your damage is normalized to damage per second, not damage per swing

8 seconds of double DPS is better than 6 seconds of double DPS

though yeah getting SoT up faster is nice on a fast weapon (it's not a proc, it's every swing)
12/27/2010 4:33 PMPosted by Warhowl
To get 4 swings off within 8 seconds don't you need a 2.0 or slower swing speed after haste?
Sounds like a faster weapon gets more benefit than a slower one. I've been rockin a Slow Str DPS weapon on my Protadin and doing well, but I'm receptive to the uses of a speedier weapon, if they apply things like Seal of Truth more quickly.

When you take into account the chance of parry hasting and factor in passive haste buffs that you are likely to see in raids, getting those 4 swings with a 2.6 speed weapon is highly possible.