Kicked for being Deaf

General Discussion
1 2 3 53 Next
Hey there thanks for clicking my post. This is going to be a bit lengthy.

I recently had an accident that resulted in the permanent lose of my hearing. The last few months have been the hardest i have ever known. I have had to deal with never listening to music and talking to people has become exhausting.

Its become that most people i thought were my friends just didn't want to deal with me anymore as i had become inconvenient. I felt more alone than ever.

So i came back to wow. Now I've been playing with my guild for about 4 years. We have all become close friends. We have even done some rl guild parties. I explained why i have been off for so long to the guild. I explained my condition. Everyone was pretty supportive for about 5 minutes.

Do you know what the first question i got from my guild leader was? He asked me if i could still use vent. I told him no, but tried to assure him it wouldn't be a problem as i usually research the fights before hand and use dbm.

He tells me that i can't raid unless i have vent. Guild rules and all. I was pissed. After a huge blow out between us i get removed from the guild and put on ignore. Our guild wasn't even that good. We did naxx full clear 10 man once.

After that i cried. I didn't know what to do, who to turn to. I tried joining up with some other guilds but their response to why i can't use vent went about the same.

So i come to the forums to not only vent my frustrations but to find others with my condition. Are there any deaf friendly raiding guilds out there? Would you be willing to take me in? How have you dealt with being deaf?

Any advice is appreciated, so long as its constructive.

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam, typing this out has helped.

TL;DR version
Got deaf, got kicked, cried.

Edit: I can't believe the responses i have received. My brother and i have been reading all of them and i have not felt such compassion in such a long time. (And from the wow forums no less lol) Its almost to much to handle. Now don't get me wrong, i'm 6'3 240 pounds built like a truck chef crying just isn't something i do. lol But here i am making an exception.

My brother and i have decided to make something out of our guild. The offers have been appreciated and noted. Thank You all again for the feedback it means more than you could ever know.
First of all.....what a crappy thing to do.
I'm sorry your "friends" turned out to be such jerks.
I would say most reasonable guilds would be perfectly understanding to a disability. I know of a couple people in raids I have been in there were either deaf or mute.
Typing works for everyone who is literate.
I hope you find a good group soon.
:D

Sorry that you were unfortunate to be surrounded by jackasses. Sadly though, it happens every day.

I know from reading previous posts over the years that there are many guilds out there that are deaf-friendly. Perhaps make a post on your realm forums and see if there's one. Check out other realms as well - might be worth the transfer fee. Good luck to you! :)
12/29/2010 3:09 PMPosted by Phoxly
Looks like someone...

*glasses on*

Couldn't handle the music.

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH- no really that sucks bro.
I lol'd...going to hell cya
I got a guildie who's deaf. We just accept her cause she's nice and helpful and not a noob. I might ask her to swing by this post, maybe she's got advice for you.
There is an option in vent for text. Tell them you can use vent, but they need to type in it. you met the requirement, now they need to stop being bungholes and use it so it fits your needs.
12/29/2010 3:10 PMPosted by Klair
That sucks, a lot.

You should start your own deaf only guild and rip @!!@ up! :p

I've always wanted to learn sign language, but I'm lazy sometimes.

my brother and i created this one. recruiting is tough as most people want to only join lvl 5 and above guilds and are not willing to put in the time to lvl a new guild. or they want free access to the guild bank i.e thieves.
I don't think you can use Sign Language in Vent :D

That said wouldn't it be interesting if Raid Fights required sign language to raid them? Ragnaros would indeed be a 12 hour event :D

You can always come over to Primacy on Dunemaul. Laid back family guild and we do raid. I don't think they'd be arses and require you to use Vent.
12/29/2010 3:11 PMPosted by Valtane
Sorry that you were unfortunate to be surrounded by jackasses. Sadly though, it happens every day.

I know from reading previous posts over the years that there are many guilds out there that are deaf-friendly. Perhaps make a post on your realm forums and see if there's one. Check out other realms as well - might be worth the transfer fee. Good luck to you! :)

to be honest i am willing to realm transfer to a deaf guild
That's absolutely ridiculous and I'm sorry that happened to you.

I run a casual raiding guild--although we've done much more than Naxx10--and while I try to be Ambassadorish at all times, I'd probably flip my lid if someone in the guild was discriminated for that reason. Were the circumstances mine, I would have allowed you to continue raiding, considering if you were DPS and could continue to learn the fights via independant research, etc. If you were a tank or a healer, I would make sure you def. knew the fights head of time but it still wouldn't disqualify you from raids.

Jeez, half of the people in some of our raid teams HAVE their hearing and ventrilo and still don't listen anyway, so go figure.

Dunno about Deaf friendly guilds, would be interested to see if their is one, if the need is great enough. However, I hope (and am sure there are) other non-discriminatory guilds out there. It can be rough though; our guild is race-friendly, gender-friendly, gay-friendly, etc., and we get a lot of flak from players all of the time for some of our tolerance rules.

Good luck in your WoW (and real life!) journeys. For what it's worth, I would have cried too, that can't feel good.
12/29/2010 3:11 PMPosted by Dreggis
Thanks to evolutionists preaching survival of the fittest in our schools we now have a society that doesn't care about anyone but themselves.

People were being self-centered, arrogant, entitled, killing eachother, <other negative remark>, for a hell of a lot longer then the theory of evolution has even existed. Make less ridiculous statements please.

To the OP: I've heard a similar story from other deaf players. Your best bet is to just continue looking for a guild that will sympathize with your disability, they are out there, however rare. Also, you may want to look for a large social guild that raids on the side first, it's a good way to meet people and create a close group of friends which you can then raid with.

Best of luck.
Seriously, how hard is it for them to macro raid warnings for you? Sounds like your guild was not only hateful and discriminatory, but not very good either.

You will find a place eventually where you are welcomed, treated fairly, and most importantly, worked with. Some guild will adapt and macro /rw's for you so that you don't have to hear.

To add to this though, you will have to be at your best to raid. They won't just throw a pity party raid for you. Make sure you're not standing in things, and researching the fights as best as you can. Regardless of disability, if you are one of the best 10 raiders, you will have a spot in 99% of guilds. You just happened to be in that bad 1%.
That sucks....Kicked because you cant hear people in vent? why cant they just toughen up and type out what you need to do? people should stop being lazy IMO it doesnt take THAT long to explain a fight through typing.

a person being kicked or allowed in should be based on how well they do

if i was running a guild, i would let a deaf person in. Just because your impaired does not mean you cant do a good job, im willing to type what they would need to know, and in my opinion there is no excuse to kick someone just because they cant use something that is NOT a normal part of the game
I've heard that folks play music and put their hands on the speakers to ... feel the music again. It might be a bit emotional to play songs you know and then feel them, but its a way to relive those sounds in your head.