Blackrock Foundry Item Level Change

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
03/14/2015 11:32 AMPosted by Byniri
Can you make it so that we can restore any old items that we might have DE'd/Vendored because they weren't an upgrade at 665?

I think I got rid of some loot drops I got extra rolls on that would have been upgrades if they were 670 ilvl.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battle-net-item-restoration
A few comments in response to some posts so far.

First, I wouldn't read much into the use of the word "tier" in the post - it's being used as a synonym for "zone" in this case. The point stands regardless: When you go through a series of learning attempts and wipes to defeat a new boss for the first time, you expect a commensurate reward for doing so. Many players coming out of 2 months in Highmaul were in a situation of having to work to learn and defeat new bosses that dropped loot of roughly the same quality as what they already were wearing. That isn't satisfying and doesn't allow for much power progression.

Second, the primary point of this change is not to nerf Foundry encounters. If that were the goal, it would have been much simpler to simply nerf the encounters, and we'd taken a more surgical approach to specific encounters. The aim is strictly to improve the reward side of the difficulty:reward ratio.

To use an example, consider a guild that primarily does Normal mode content and eventually progresses into Heroic. This guild may have been 6/7N Highmaul by early January; they ventured into Heroic and killed 2-3 bosses there, and then went back and finished off Mar'gok on Normal. Along the way, they also got some item level 670 loot from garrison mission caches. Now, Foundry comes out. Just because this group killed a couple of Heroic Highmaul bosses after two months in the zone doesn't suddenly make them a Heroic guild - they will, appropriately, begin in Normal Foundry. But their average item level with mostly 655 items (some 661 warforged), and some 670 items from Heroic Highmaul, is likely around 661 or 662 as a raid group. And that simply doesn't leave much room for meaningful reward. And replacing a 670 non-set piece with a 665 set piece is likely a power upgrade, but also does not feel particularly satisfying. You can change the difficulties in the example above, and we see the exact same situation with Heroic guilds coming into Heroic Foundry with an average item level in the 675+ range, which again didn't leave much room for improvement.

(Note that this logic really does not apply to Mythic Foundry, but once we're buffing loot from the other difficulties, we must also adjust Mythic in order to keep Mythic drops feeling like an appropriate upgrade over Heroic. Mythic Foundry is still plenty challenging and ranks among the overall hardest raid zones we've designed - an extra few item levels is not going to change that.)

Edit: And yes, the actual stats on the items are of course increasing along with the item level. The point is to improve the actual reward, not smoke and mirrors creating the illusion of one.
03/14/2015 11:42 AMPosted by Lemmon
03/14/2015 11:00 AMPosted by Bashiok
We are preparing to deploy a hotfix next week that will increase the item level of all raid drops from all difficulties of the Blackrock Foundry raid.

The main purpose of this change is to ensure that killing new bosses in the Blackrock Foundry raid feels appropriately rewarding. We are finding that groups coming out of a couple of months in Highmaul could often have an average item level that was just barely shy of the loot dropped by the appropriate difficulty in Foundry. A core part of the experience of progressing through a new raid tier lies in the sense that even if you didn't manage to kill a particular boss this week, the upgrades your raid group gathered along the way will make things smoother and improve your chances the following week.

So everybody is upset with this change because it requires the assumption that the boost in ilvl is also accompanied by a boost in stats - is that the case? It's never explicitly stated and the mere suggestion that the main purpose for the change is to make it "feel appropriately rewarding" doesn't necessarily mean that a stat boost will come with a boost in ilvl. Any specifications on this?

The change would be absolutely useless if it didn't come with a stat boost. Players would still use 685 over 700 if the itemization was better, only more casual players who didn't realize right away would immediately upgrade to 700.
IT'S HAPPENING
Mythic imp will drop the same ilvl gear as Heroic Hans and Franz what a joke lmao. This is the same tier raid why make Highmaul completely irrelavent?
So everybody is upset with this change because it requires the assumption that the boost in ilvl is also accompanied by a boost in stats - is that the case? It's never explicitly stated and the mere suggestion that the main purpose for the change is to make it "feel appropriately rewarding" doesn't necessarily mean that a stat boost will come with a boost in ilvl. Any specifications on this?

That is a good point. I'm curious about this as well. They didn't mention if it's just the ilvl number, or if it included the stats.
Best news I've had in a while. My guild is currently of three minds: Do we do Heroic Highmaul for the 670 gear? Do we go to NRF normal for the 665 gear we don't want but experience on the encounters? Or do we get our butts kicked in Heroic BRF but resting assured that all drops are equippable? This will make normal BRF feel more reasonable while we learn the encounters, and less like a semi-waste of time as we get upgrades now from time to time!
03/14/2015 11:41 AMPosted by Gweslesyas
*Crickets. *Looks around.
No one was surprised by this? Good. Moving on.

I mean seriously when you have better goods coming out of older raids Something has to give. Looks at Lei Shen and how long His trinkets lasted and what happened to them.

I loved that trinket. MoP had a lot of cool trinket equips.
03/14/2015 11:48 AMPosted by Utility

That is a good point. I'm curious about this as well. They didn't mention if it's just the ilvl number, or if it included the stats.

ilvl means that there will be a direct boost in stats. Stat weight is assigned by the ilvl, so all BRF gear is getting a buff.
Thisss.... issss.... AWESOME!!!!! :D
So you are already nerfing content? Am I the only person upset about this?
Delete
so my heroics tier would convert from 680 to 685 or i will have to win them again¿
03/14/2015 11:06 AMPosted by Mortiferio
Interesting. This is a de facto nerf to the encounters in Blackrock Foundry as well.

Edit: Also interesting that they're now referring to BRF as a "new tier".

A soft nerf. Once mythic is cleared, who cares..
03/14/2015 11:45 AMPosted by Watcher
Second, the primary point of this change is not to nerf Foundry encounters. If that were the goal, it would have been much simpler to simply nerf the encounters, and we'd taken a more surgical approach to specific encounters. The aim is strictly to improve the reward side of the difficulty:reward ratio.

Ahahahaha, oh we get it we know what it is, its a sneaky hurhur hur hur reward improvement

>.>
<.<

you don't say :3
03/14/2015 11:51 AMPosted by Badassfreak
so my heroics tier would convert from 680 to 685 or i will have to win them again¿

Retroactive. You will see an increase in ilvl..
Does this mean the 4/4 crafted gear will get a 5ilvl boost as well?

Literally the last sentence of OP:

"At the same time, we will be increasing the item level of the new highest-tier crafted and Apexis vendor items by 5, in order to keep their power unchanged relative to the Foundry raid itemization."
Blizz are you going to bump the 710 ring to 715?
should've only increased the ilvl on the end wing bosses
This is a good change, thank you.