Can Druids Speak in their animal forms?

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Game Says yes,

Lore in the background (Comics / etc. ) Seem to suggest the answer is no.

Is it just game mechanics or is it world building?

Will we ever get a Twitter account or Blue that only answers Lore questions?
Your call really. There are examples of both in both game and books. Perhaps learning to speak in animal form was something they had to learn? Maybe they couldn't at first but through training they became able to speak in animal form.
Zen'kiki is able to talk as an animal just fine, and that is still lore. It's up to you what you want to do.
03/15/2015 06:19 PMPosted by Alnarra
Game Says yes,

Lore in the background (Comics / etc. ) Seem to suggest the answer is no.

Is it just game mechanics or is it world building?

Will we ever get a Twitter account or Blue that only answers Lore questions?

I always make mention that Vyn's voice is altered and that maintaining speech is an energy sink. Honestly I would think they could, all they need to do is adjust their vocal cords. It would just take a lot of practice as it is such a small and specific area to alter. But who knows?
July 18, 2014 – “Ruling: “Druids (in general) cannot speak in their animal forms. There may/may not be exceptions to the rule.”

This is a tweet from 'historian' (read: company-sanctioned official lore nerd) Sean Copeland in response to someone who asked him this same question.
His twitter account has since been deactivated, but his tweets have been archived in a lot of places.

My interpretation is that you should do what you find fun.
Games and books are both official sources of lore. I think most people just do what works. Personally, Star talks in her cat form, but not her bird form.
I might be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, back in the days I had a message error telling me I was not able to interact to my target while in animal form. For turning quests in, by example.

But this was back in TBC, so it has surely changed since.

But I would personnally think they cannot "talk" through their animal forms, only telepathic communication with very close persons/friends.
I don't feel that strongly about this either way, admittedly.

There's enough ambiguity that people are just gonna do what makes them happy.
I believe that they can. There are numerous examples of them speaking, but I think that they have to concentrate on keeping the humanoid parts of their brain active.
Probably, though it would likely sound very different from their natural voice. Dragons can talk in their natural forms, for example, but their voices tend to be deeper and more guttural in that form than in a humanoid form.
03/16/2015 07:35 AMPosted by Kogrosh
I might be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, back in the days I had a message error telling me I was not able to interact to my target while in animal form. For turning quests in, by example.

I remember that too.
03/17/2015 04:02 AMPosted by Tovi
03/16/2015 07:35 AMPosted by Kogrosh

I remember that too.

Those were the days...

*nostalgia goggles*
Take whatever route you want with it.

Gutteral distorted voices due to the animal form not being entirely suited for speech, clear as day, or just not at all. It honestly depends on the roleplayer.

The one form I personally would find odd if some words couldn't be spoken would be that of a stormcrow or raven, since Corvidae has been shown to mimic speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZyBNWVD70w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ0yrG-Yz88
This is one of those things I tend to ignore. A Blizzard rep claimed Druids generally can't talk in their animal forms, yet we have numerous examples in the game that prove the contrary. They don't even know what they're talking about when it comes to their own frigging lore.
03/17/2015 09:42 AMPosted by Honnani
This is one of those things I tend to ignore. A Blizzard rep claimed Druids generally can't talk in their animal forms, yet we have numerous examples in the game that prove the contrary. They don't even know what they're talking about when it comes to their own frigging lore.

I would say it's not actually about lore, they simply changed an old mechanic.

Before you were not able to interace with NPCs in animal forms, now you can. No reason to bash Blizzard for that? It'S RP man... you do what YOU want to do, as long as it makes sense to your very own eyes!
Solution: Play a Warrior, because they have gigantic BALLS!

They can talk like Humans with the voice of bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o
I hate the grey areas of communication in blizzard lore :S Can druids talk in animal form? I dunno. Why can orcs speak PERFECT common? Why can all big players in cinematics and the like all speak PERFECT common except the friggen worgen and the trolls? Wouldn't there be some dialect issues? I get some orcs learned their common from their masters, but I wouldn't think it would be a perfect as they speak it. If every race has their own language, how can they all break that language barrier so damn perfect when (going off IRL here) some humans move to America in their 20s and are now late 70s and still have a thick german accent and mess up their English? (grammar and annunciations)

AND HOW THE FEL DOES PUTRICIDE TALK AT ALL!? He has no friggen lower jaw! Every time I run that raid I think "Waaaah? Where does your voice come from?" "How can it taste like cherry if you HAVE NO FRICKEN LOWER JAW!? YOU WOULD POUR IT RIGHT DIRECTLY DOWN YOUR ESOPHAGUS! NO TASTE! NONE!"

That is more important that druids talking in there forms. Or: How do worgen and tauren manipulate their lips to form the phonetics of speech? But that is minor I guess.

I mean honestly, why even worry at all if druids can talk in form. If Putricide can fricken talk like a scientist, I can fricken talk if I want to.
03/17/2015 01:08 PMPosted by Kogrosh
No reason to bash Blizzard for that?

I will bash them for their terrible writing. I have the right to do so.

Why are you saying it isn't about lore when the first post in this thread brings up druid speech in game lore and lore from secondary content, and the Blizzard rep who spoke up about it was a designated lore nerd?
Back in the olden days of Vanilla and BC, you needed to leave your animal form to talk to an NPC. Not to mention the above tweet that has been linked.

That being said, I think the idea that it can be done with practice makes sense and is a happy medium. I don't RP this character as being able to, but that's because she's a fairly novice druid compared to some. Just go by what you think would be appropriate for the character and respect others for doing the same, and you should be fine.

Edit: Spelling is hard.
03/17/2015 09:42 AMPosted by Honnani

I think most of the stuff with druids talking in animal forms is for ease of gameplay rather than trying to set a precedent for the lore. We've got plenty of talking animal form druids out in the game but Blizzard has said they probably can't really do that. By the same token we know the Forsaken don't exactly like using the Light in general, and that being healed by it is painful to them. But for sake of gameplay, we have undead holy priests and Forsaken characters don't have any adverse reactions to getting healed by paladins.

It doesn't really help the situation become any clearer I know, but still.