Somewhat new to RP

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Excuse how badly written this is, going to expand on it later just wanted to get a small backstory written for my Battle Mage. Also part of my new guilds recruitment Three Corners Crew.

Name: Damian Townsend
Class: Battle Mage
Eye Color: Light Blue
Height: 5'10"
Body Type: Lean Athletic
Birthplace: Lakeshire, Redridge
Additional info: He wears size 0 plugs and has runes of ice and arcane power tattooed into his arms.

Damian Townsend began his life twenty years ago in Redridge, growing up with an attunement to the Arcane. His parents sent him away at a young age to train at the Mage Tower in Stormwind. His master was a Highborne woman named Jyun. She was a mean few thousand year old crone of a woman to him. Belittling him and beating him with her staff whenever he would mess up during training. Though it was through these methods that he was able to learn and excel in his training. He left the tower while still in training after only learning how to control the powers of Frost magic.

He joined up with a small Mercenary band at the age of fourteen and began learning the ways of the sword. Over the next year Damian managed to learn a good deal about sword play but was eventually found by Jyun, and returned to the tower. Where she proceeded to beat him and tell him that proper mages had no use for such primitive weapons.

Over the next year he continued training but ignoring his masters teaching about not needing armor or weapons, he had made up his mind. He was going to return to Redridge and meet up with his friends. From there they would create a Mercenary band themselves. Thus the Three Corners Crew was born.
I'm going under the assumption that you follow lore. If you do not and just want to do your own thing, disregard what I have to say below. Just remember to do whatever makes you happy.

03/14/2015 06:27 PMPosted by Fèl
His master was a Highborne woman named Jyun.

Do you perhaps mean High Elf woman? Highborne are the upper class, arcane-using Night Elves that were exiled from their culture almost 10,000 years ago, and weren't brought back into the Alliance until the Cataclysm.

03/14/2015 06:27 PMPosted by Fèl
She was a mean few thousand year old crone of a woman to him.

Just a note, but while Night Elves can live to be in their tens of thousands of years, High Elves can live to be upwards of 3,000, so this description can still work if you decide to change her race.

Other then that, you've got a sound backstory. I really like the name and idea behind your guild as well.
Totally why I brought it here to ask! Thank you so much for the info going to get that fixed up!
So I take it your death knight isn't actually a death knight? There's no problem with that at all since you are using it to play out a battle mage role (or so it seems) but don't be too surprised if you run in to people that snub you for doing it that way. Just a warning there.

The only things I think might want clarifying are why he opted to run away from his teacher in the first place, why a mercenary band would accept an apprentice wizard into their ranks, why they'd bother teaching a wizard how to wear armor properly and swing a sword, and why the teacher cared enough to come and get him back. And last of all why the character decided to practise casting spells while wearing armor. That's a lot harder than you'd think, if traditional D&D is anything to go by (heavy armor interfering with your movements when making gestures)

You don't necessarily have to clarify any of those points in the typed backstory, but they might be questions I'd ask ICly if he told the story as written, so you may want to think of the answers ;)
03/15/2015 07:04 AMPosted by Seyl
So I take it your death knight isn't actually a death knight? There's no problem with that at all since you are using it to play out a battle mage role (or so it seems) but don't be too surprised if you run in to people that snub you for doing it that way. Just a warning there.

The only things I think might want clarifying are why he opted to run away from his teacher in the first place, why a mercenary band would accept an apprentice wizard into their ranks, why they'd bother teaching a wizard how to wear armor properly and swing a sword, and why the teacher cared enough to come and get him back. And last of all why the character decided to practise casting spells while wearing armor. That's a lot harder than you'd think, if traditional D&D is anything to go by (heavy armor interfering with your movements when making gestures)

You don't necessarily have to clarify any of those points in the typed backstory, but they might be questions I'd ask ICly if he told the story as written, so you may want to think of the answers ;)

I actually do want to clarify those! Still trying to figure out most of his back story. I really just tossed that together so that I could start RPing right away with a friend earlier this week. I have met one person so far who was very rude, whispered me calling me a bunch of names for the Battle Mage thing. Though a lot of others have been very nice about it, and enjoyed it. Thanks again to both of you for the help with explaining these things. :)
03/15/2015 07:16 AMPosted by Fèl
I actually do want to clarify those! Still trying to figure out most of his back story. I really just tossed that together so that I could start RPing right away with a friend earlier this week. I have met one person so far who was very rude, whispered me calling me a bunch of names for the Battle Mage thing. Though a lot of others have been very nice about it, and enjoyed it. Thanks again to both of you for the help with explaining these things. :)

Dunno about Emerald Dream, but I've seen quite a few "DK" Battlemages in my time, and it honestly fits. It doesn't matter what your OOC class is, just play your character to your hearts content. Hell I've seen a DK RP as a paladin. He just liked the DK class, and hated paladins mechanics, but wanted to Rp one.(Weird, but yeah, it happens.) Other than what's already been brought up, your story sounds good.

Well... Not so sure on the mercenary thing, but you can probably come up with something. Just chalk it up to you knowing a guy on the inside and he got you in and trained you. Sounds reasonable enough to me. Also...I genuinely like the guild name. Sounds nice.

And last of all why the character decided to practise casting spells while wearing armor.
Considering Shamans wear mail and paladins/DKs seem to be just fine casting their magics in plate armor. I would assume arcane magic isn't bothered by it at all.

why the teacher cared enough to come and get him back.
That one's got me stumped, but hey Dunno what can happen.
A few things, one... Shaman's don't do 'arcane' they do elemental magic, totally different, and as to paladins, they do divine magic, not arcane... I have no clue about Death Knights though XD
03/15/2015 05:36 PMPosted by Pärker

And last of all why the character decided to practise casting spells while wearing armor.
Considering Shamans wear mail and paladins/DKs seem to be just fine casting their magics in plate armor. I would assume arcane magic isn't bothered by it at all.

A shaman calls on the elements to aid them. A paladin draws on the Holy Light to aid them.

In those cases you're going through a conduit of some kind to cast your spells. Like a cleric/paladin/druid in D&D. The source of the power isn't the character themselves, they just channel the energy.

But a mage has to use their own force of will and various arcane phrases and gestures to get their magic to work. Sometimes heavy armor can get in the way. That's why in D&D mages get a chance to fizzle their spells if casting magic wearing armor (unless there was no somatic component). At least in the editions I played (I assume it's not changed since 3.5?)

You don't HAVE to restrict yourself to D&D rulings on stuff like this, but then by the same token none of the battlemages we've seen in game have worn much in the way of armor. So it's reasonable to assume that there is a reason for that - likely the gestures thing. And if that's true, then to be casting spells in heavy armor would take some pretty heavy duty care on part of the mage, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to come up with an explanation for why the mage decided to practise doing it that way. After all, magic can shield the mage just as well as plate can.
I changed up a few things and removed the mercenary work in his teen years entirely. Making the Battle Mage thing entirely his idea, he is training with some paladins currently while doing work in the Plaguelands, and will continue his sword and heavy armor training when he returns to Stormwind. Going to be meeting a couple of our new Death Knight recruits. As for his Mage Master, she is still going to be a Night Elf just from the Dire Maul area, not really sure it depends on how my friend decides to RP his Mage.

Haven't really figured out the way to fully explain using spells without what most mages do, though I was noticing that even mages use a lot of runes and such. Maybe I could do a mixture or Arcane Runes and Ice runes, like what he already has tattooed on his body and a lot like what Death Knights use already, but using them to tap into his spiritual energy and such.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Rune_magic
Damian began his life twenty years ago in Redridge, growing up with an attunement to the Arcane. His parents sent him away at a young age to train at the Mage Tower in Stormwind. His master was a Night Elvish woman named Jyun. She was a mean few thousand year old crone of a woman to him. Belittling him and beating him with her staff whenever he would mess up during training. Though it was through these methods that he was able to learn and excel in his training. He left the tower while still in training after only learning how to control the powers of Frost magic.

Over the next year he continued training but ignoring his masters teaching about not needing armor or weapons, he had made up his mind. He was going to return to Redridge and meet up with his friends. From there they would create a Mercenary band themselves. Thus the Three Corners Crew was born.

Damian was recently hired to help a group of Paladins to help with some of the remaining undead. From them he has been learning the art of the sword, during which time he became acquainted with a small group of Death Knights, they accepted his offer of joining with the Three Corners Crew and he will continue training with them upon his return to Stormwind.
It's completely doable. A good idea. I actually RP my warlock to be a battle/fire mage. Well, he's a warlock, but he rejects the Fel and just can't find a way to get rid of it. So IC he doesn't use demons, sticks only to the fire magic he has access to, and is bloody good with a blade.

It's a fun concept and the people I have RPed with it haven't had anything negative to say, or at least haven't said anything to me about it.

I am impressed with your name.....I would have thought every single way to spell Fel would have already been taken. Though,....why did you choose a name like that?
03/17/2015 03:50 AMPosted by Saiylen
It's completely doable. A good idea. I actually RP my warlock to be a battle/fire mage. Well, he's a warlock, but he rejects the Fel and just can't find a way to get rid of it. So IC he doesn't use demons, sticks only to the fire magic he has access to, and is bloody good with a blade.

It's a fun concept and the people I have RPed with it haven't had anything negative to say, or at least haven't said anything to me about it.

I am impressed with your name.....I would have thought every single way to spell Fel would have already been taken. Though,....why did you choose a name like that?

I actually had Fel with no accents when I played on the Silvermoon Server. Started out as a hunter oddly enough back in Vanilla, when Death Knights came out I liked the name so much that I used it. Was really sad to use accents when I transferred to Emerald Dream. Might fork out the cash for a name change tbh.