Is it legal to buy WoW gold with real money?

General Discussion
I've just started playing WoW again and I'm thinking about buying WoW gold with real money but I do not want to get into trouble for it and get my account banned. Does anyone know if it is illegal and if it it is legal, are there any safe sites to purchase them from?
No.
You can get your account banned from buying gold with real money.
It is against the Terms of Service, and will get your account banned, permanently. If it's not on the official battle.net website, don't do it.
12/25/2010 6:35 AMPosted by Hammershock
you can buy it, there wont be consequences. the above posters are lying!

just dont buy 50k at a time

I got a 6 day forum ban for saying something just like this.

And we can hope the love is shared. That little "report" button is there for a reason, folks. :D
Don't do it matey, theres plenty of ways for even casual gamers to make cash on here, no need to compromise your account!

Best of luck!
12/25/2010 6:32 AMPosted by Sovain
I've just started playing WoW again and I'm thinking about buying WoW gold with real money but I do not want to get into trouble for it and get my account banned. Does anyone know if it is illegal and if it it is legal, are there any safe sites to purchase them from?

Legal as in there are no laws preventing it? Yes... It is legal in most countries to buy credits in a game with money.

However it is against your contract with Blizzard. They can remove the ill gotten goods from your character, ban your account, and even file a civil suit against you under contract law for lost income. You agree to the contract after every major patch by agreeing to the Terms of Service and the End User License Agreement. You play under their terms. One of those terms is that you cannot purchase gold from a third party. In fact one of the terms is they own everything you do in the game. Another is they can terminate your access for any reason.
Also Not only is it illegal as Sorelai states... if you do buy gold you are supporting people who are getting it by questionable means.. some of that gold maybe from hacked accounts. So do not support the hackers.. plus many gold sellers are just front for hackers... the gold buyer will soon find his account hacked... and then banned if they complain to Blizz
You can buy gold by making cookies in game and trading them for gold. But not real money tho =/
It's against the TOS, and it can get you banned. But it's also true that so many people buy gold it's impractical to go after them. It's more effective to go after the big sellers.

That said, it's very easy to make gold in WoW by yourself. For instance, the quest rewards and vendor grays will provide you with more than enough money to level. Once you get to the level cap there are random dungeon dailies, quest dailies, and professions. Enchanting, mining, herbing, jewelcrafting, and alchemy make will make you rich.

Oh, and install and learn how to use Auctioneer addon.

Save your money, the game is very generous.. you just need to use what's there.
It's apparently also a good way to get your account targeted by hackers.
It's like paying someone to rip out someone's hard-earned work for your enjoyment and use. I.E. Don't do it, there is a deeeeeep pit in deepholm saved just for gold buyers and farmers.
12/25/2010 6:39 AMPosted by Argonisia
Yes it's highly illegal, the FBI is on their way.

Banned for complaining?? What a crock!
That was the wrong quote above - but if you a reading the threads you know which one I refer to. :(
12/25/2010 6:36 AMPosted by Phoroneus

I got a 6 day forum ban for saying something just like this.

And we can hope the love is shared. That little "report" button is there for a reason, folks. :D

Here's hoping he gets permabanned.
I wish Blizz would sell gold.

I'm lazy.