Why so much power-playing?

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Ever since I started RPing on moonguard it seems that so much people tend to powerplay (Lvl 58 DKs and level 1 humans). And i'm not just talking about around the inn.

I was RPing with a friend of mine (A worgen DK, Level 100) about a week ago. We were walking along the road leading into darkshire when suddenly, we were stopped by a group of "Witch hunters" Who accused us of using dark magic. It was cool at first, until my friend "Spun out of control, and killed them all with one blow". But the thing is, he learned from it. And is now one of the best RPers I know.

But thats not all, I can list tons of bad roleplaying experiences ive had on moonguard. Thats why I rolled some new characters on argent dawn, but idk how thats gonna work out since everybody practically left.

So here is my question: Why are there so much powerplayers and god-modders? It just seems to me that there seems to be so much more people like this than on any other game I roleplay in, including D&D.
You answered the question yourself. Just like with your friend, it is a very common noob mistake. Bad RP is everywhere and most of us have been guilty of it. Just like with anything in life we learn from it and we, (hopefully,) grow from it. Don't dismiss an entire server just because you've had some bad luck. There are plenty of skilled RPers there.

Anyway, back to your question: beyond noob mistakes, some people think they must be the most powerful and perfect of them all to be worthy of attention. They don't understand that instead of attracting people to play with them out of their character's sheer awesomeness, they are actually doing the opposite and alienating them. Everyone wants to be the hero ... and if a story is allowed to develop naturally, eventually everyone will get a moment to shine. They just need to learn to trust in that. Also, some people don't really give a fig about what is good for the story and are only interested in what makes their character look cool.
i'm going to avoid my full analysis just to prevent drama and say this:

Some people mistakenly view RP as a conduct to exert their dominance over others, which results in them creating an excessively powerful character to do so.
03/25/2015 05:53 PMPosted by Móloch
we were stopped by a group of "Witch hunters" Who accused us of using dark magic.

Not me

To prevent god modding I take the /roll battle route, you emote the attack and whatever you roll is how accurate/how much damage/how successful you get.
It's weird i've never seen these god mod events or power playing of such degree despite how frequently people talk about them. Shame it's negatively affecting people however.
I suspect it has to do with the reason why everyone wants to win all the time. Why do people want to win all the time? I have nothing but speculation to that answer. Suffice to say, I'd say the most commonly held reason for this predicament would probably lie in making a mistake.

I suspect people have the idea that "bigger/powerful is better" and throw realism out the window. It's only through experience that people learn otherwise and actually begin building their characters from the ground up, but that's the only explanation I've got.

And couple that with the fact that there are more beginners than experts and that may explain the numbers.
I've seen it, heck when I first started RPing the "power" of other players seemed out of control and it was frustrating.

It seemed like everything I tried, they had the counter, or block and I couldn't land or do anything. Then when I ramped up my attacks I was berated for god-moding. I almost quit RPing on the spot.

That was well over a year ago, and I think I've learned to RP well. To handle situations IC and OOC maturely and with respect. Even in disagreements I keep it civil.

I will say this, if your friend went from something you didn't like to the best RPer you know in one week, you've got a lot more to see and a lot more people to meet.

Keep your chin up, there are some amazing people and gifted writers out here in the nerd compound. You might just have an amazing time.

and try Wyrmrest Accord.....lol....I'm biased.
I remember slowly sinking into the power-playing role myself a few years back. All my friends were gradually doing it, so I felt I had to do the same to make myself an equal.

One was the new leader of the Fel Horde in Outland, and was currently experimenting on the majority of the Nether Dragons in Outland to infuse them with Fel. Another was the Grand Executioner of the Forsaken and was under control of all Forsaken forces in Silverpine with Sylvanas' departure. The others were a master engineer responsible for making a wormhole machine capable of bending time, an assassin who actually helped Garona kill Varian and a General who has lead army-sized forces in every war the Orcs participated in.

I saw this and felt I had to match them, so I made Cannibal the leader of the Earthwatchers in the Earthen Ring. Bad idea. I had no fun being in that high of a position, and I ended up retconning it to making Cannibal a very minor member.

I didn't realize what I was doing wasn't fun until I started random RP with a commoner RPer, who played a simple farmer from Halfhill. As Cannibal listed his accomplishments, the farmer just kept gawking in awe at the unbelievable feats my Orc had accomplished.

Made me realize that power gaming isn't very fun for me.

03/26/2015 05:45 AMPosted by Sicilianhero
and try Wyrmrest Accord.....lol....I'm biased.
an assassin who actually helped Garona kill Varian

Wait what. Do you mean Llane or is this some kind of made-up scenario?

Anyway yea, power gaming is meh. Feel free to RP somebody who has done some really badass stuff or led like platoons/companies in various wars, that's all fine and dandy.

But once you start saying your character led armies or is capable of influencing Varian/Vol'jin or some of those things Cannibal said, then yea you're treading into dangerous territory.

If you see somebody RPing stuff like that, you can either walk away and not interact with them, or tell them what they're doing wrong and suggest ways to correct it.

Some people won't listen and will continue what they're doing, some will even curse you out and act like a dbag about it. Those people are the ones you just ignore, they will RP as they please. Often enough when enough people refuse to acknowledge their RP they'll wise up and change it.

Other people will take the advice to heart, realize they're wrong, change it up and be much happier for it.

The closest I ever really come to power-playing with Kayleina is that being both a noble and a paladin, an SW guard will generally listen if she asks them to arrest somebody. Even then I've only done this like twice in written stories with made-up NPCs, and once in RP with the OOC consent of both the guard and the arrestee.
I'm going with Vyn on this. Everyone has some sort of innate want to win and to be competitive, regardless of what they do to make it equal.

As for other reasons as to why people God mod, it can range from trying to be heroic by killing all villains, regardless if NPC or otherwise, villainous by being a psychopath and murdering everyone, to everything in between. Doesn't make it any good a reason to do it, though.

Plus, as everyone mentioned, it's a noob mistake. Everyone's done it at least once when they started.
03/26/2015 08:35 AMPosted by Kayleina
Wait what. Do you mean Llane or is this some kind of made-up scenario?

Made-up scenario. She used the Black Bear Mount as evidence, which was, obviously, given to her personally by Garrosh.
The one that bothers me is when people claim things like "worked alongside with Arthas." Or "Varian was my brother." Like secondhand god-mod stuff, its almost worst than direct god-modding because these types think they aren't doing it.
03/26/2015 11:21 PMPosted by Stella
worked alongside with Arthas

He had many captains, commanders and more. I don't see how this one is bad?
Some people forget that roleplaying is multiplayer storywriting, not single player.
'Power playing' can be both good, and bad. It is alright to play a character who has magical, physical, or political power, I have seen High Warlords, Queens, I myself am in a group of roleplayers who roleplay as bishops of various Alliance kingdoms.

As long as it isn't impeding on set-in-stone lore, or is being forced upon others, do whatever you want to do. Your friend's roleplay could be perfectly fine, if he had consent.
03/27/2015 12:06 AMPosted by Gargarok

He had many captains, commanders and more. I don't see how this one is bad?

I'd say it's mainly a matter of how much influence they had on him. If it's just like "I was a Captain/Lieutenant under Arthas who commanded a company/platoon" nothing wrong with that. When it becomes "I almost convinced him going after Frostmourne was a bad idea!", I think that's a line being crossed.

I think the main thing with the former would be explaining how he didn't make them into a DK or kill them because that's pretty much what he did with a lot of his lieutenants/captains.
03/27/2015 07:19 AMPosted by Kayleina
I'd say it's mainly a matter of how much influence they had on him. If it's just like "I was a Captain/Lieutenant under Arthas who commanded a company/platoon" nothing wrong with that. When it becomes "I almost convinced him going after Frostmourne was a bad idea!", I think that's a line being crossed.

I think the main thing with the former would be explaining how he didn't make them into a DK or kill them because that's pretty much what he did with a lot of his lieutenants/captains.

Why not? it's possible he had close advisors such as high ranking commanders who warned him but ultimately his lust for power and saving his home won out. And it's even possible he all but banished the name of the person from his mind when said commander escaped (If he's not a DK) without his turning, viewing him as a traitor of the highest degree for both telling him not to seize his destiny and not serving.

It's really easy to come up with workarounds for things. Yea some people will still probably throw a fuss but they're no one I view I should RP with to begin with. I don't pay 15 a month to have people tell me i'm having fun wrong.
03/27/2015 10:01 AMPosted by Gargarok

Why not? it's possible he had close advisors such as high ranking commanders who warned him but ultimately his lust for power and saving his home won out. And it's even possible he all but banished the name of the person from his mind when said commander escaped (If he's not a DK) without his turning, viewing him as a traitor of the highest degree for both telling him not to seize his destiny and not serving.

It's really easy to come up with workarounds for things. Yea some people will still probably throw a fuss but they're no one I view I should RP with to begin with. I don't pay 15 a month to have people tell me i'm having fun wrong.

I'm not saying don't do something like that. People can ultimately RP whatever they wish. I personally wouldn't but if somebody wants to it's their $15 and nothing is stopping them if they really want to.

If somebody came up to me with that exact same scenario and RP'd it out well with plausible explanations, I'd definitely go along with it.
03/27/2015 10:52 AMPosted by Kayleina
I'm not saying don't do something like that. People can ultimately RP whatever they wish. I personally wouldn't but if somebody wants to it's their $15 and nothing is stopping them if they really want to.

I know it was more a general statement in reference to people like OP.