People can't afford 15 dollars a month but...

General Discussion
1 2 3 10 Next
They will pay 30k plus for a token. I just don't see the logic here. I mean, I would pay 15 dollars a month before spending 30k gold that I worked hard for in game. I mean to me its like paying 15 a month or 20 for a token. SMH. Please enlighten me on this.
I'm doing nothing else with my gold.
Some people have more disposable virtual income than disposable real income.
Because I would rather spend in-game gold to play, rather than spend actual real money. What I don't understand is why you value currency in a game more than currency in real life.
04/08/2015 07:49 AMPosted by Xanduur
Please enlighten me on this.

I only have large amounts of gold because I never spend it. I have access to all professions that I would need through my alts. Might as well use it for something.
Please enlighten me on this.

There is nothing to enlighten you on. Different people value things differently.

Gold comes easy to some. Last expac, in the heyday of my scribe, I could pull 10k in a day off the AH. By paying gold in game, I could have effectively played WoW for free, just by doing what I was good at in game.

I haven't bother keeping up with the profession, and my interests both in game and IRL have changed substantially in the last year. I purchased a token to sell, to pad my character's account a little; I'm not making this expac what I did during the last one.

Again, different people, different circumstances, different values. I don't know what there is not to understand.
I have so much gold just sitting there that I never spend. It just keeps accumulating with little effort so why not spend it on game time? If I can make my game play pay for itself, why not?
They will pay 30k plus for a token. I just don't see the logic here. I mean, I would pay 15 dollars a month before spending 30k gold that I worked hard for in game. I mean to me its like paying 15 a month or 20 for a token. SMH. Please enlighten me on this.

I make enough gold by just playing the game to buy a token a month, easy. There are ways to make gold in this game with only minimal effort, or ways to make lots of gold doing things you would normally do.
To some people time to play the game exceeds that of the time to earn real life cash and so time is a less valuable currency than well... currency.

To some people 15 dollars a month is something they might have trouble affording (students, those under 18 without jobs, those with lower incomes who save every bit they can get).

To some people it has nothing to do with it being 15 or not but simply trading a virtual currency for real currency to use elsewhere.

To some people a very short time on the auction house or with crafting makes over 30k so quickly that it really isn't something they worked hard for. There are players to whom the gold cap is a reality and reaching it is a mild effort at best.

The reasons are varied but in the end why care what people spend their gold on? You could say the same about vanity pets or mounts from the store.
Time is money and money is time.

Some people (students, retirees, the unemployed) have a boatload of time and very little real money. For many of them real money holds a lot more value than in game gold.
Some people (full time workers, parents, etc.) have very little time but have a lot of disposable income. For many of them in game Gold holds more value than the small amount of real life money it takes to get that Gold.
Because in-game currency has real world value. We like to think of them as completely separate, but this has never been true.
I have a magical rock that I'd like to sell you...
Just by playing the game the same way I've always played the game I earn around 15K-20K gold a month. As long as I don't make a special effort to earn gold, using SOME of it to buy a token makes perfect sense. I won't get to play for free every month, but even if it's one token every 2 or 3 months, that's well worth it.

Remember, I'm not doing any extra "work". I'm just playing how I always play.

On the flip side another person may not want to spend any time at all earning gold. They want to spend the 2-3 hours a month it would take to earn that much gold enjoying themselves. So every extra hour they get to enjoy the game makes the transaction worthwhile for them.

As long as the price of tokens doesn't fall too low or go too high, everyone wins.
04/08/2015 07:51 AMPosted by Bearmug
Some people have more disposable virtual income than disposable real income.

Oh, you, with your facts and logic...
I can't just work another hour each week at work to earn an additional $15.00 to play wow with. I can, however, play wow an additional few hours a week to farm up the gold for a token. Thus, in my life, real life money is at a set level each month while in-game gold is much easier to come by in my time.
Imagine people that are housebound or disabled and unable to work.....not saying all disabled people can't work, mind you. There are plenty of people who have a lot of free personal time that enjoy playing the game. If finances are tight, it gives them the option to continue to enjoy their hobby without affecting their personal finances.

On the other hand, an extra 20 bucks here and there, doesn't really impact my real life, but it gives me a little extra gold to buy things I want for myself or my honey.

It's a matter of perspective. If you have extra cash and need gold (for whatever reason), this is a safe way to get it. If you have extra gold, you can use it to pay for your game time, rather than real life money. If you don't need either of those things, then you don't use it.

Alright.

First, there's little to no indication that the people spending gold on game time couldn't afford to spend real money on game time. They would just prefer to NOT spend the real money if they don't have to.

Second, I find it very strange that, between real money and fake money, you use "worked hard" to describe the latter and not the former. O_o

Does someone else pay your sub for you?
Well considering I can make 100k a week in WoW and no where near that much in real life....
WoW gold has no real value outside the game. It is like Monopoly (the game) money.

If you have a chance to convert something of no real value into something that has real value, why wouldn't you?
04/08/2015 07:59 AMPosted by Jostlen
Second, I find it very strange that, between real money and fake money, you use "worked hard" to describe the latter and not the former.

O_oDoes someone else pay your sub for you?

My thoughts exactly.