Advertisements in wow launcher

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 26 Next
05/01/2015 10:01 PMPosted by Andrak
I don't get why they are attacking the blue, it wasn't their fault to begin with.

They are the "face" of the guys that make that decision.
05/01/2015 09:49 PMPosted by Kane

It's the concept. It's like paying to see a movie then being forced to watch 30 minutes of adds. Why put up with it? It's our money.

So you're saying forced ads before a movie is equatable to a 250x400 image on a launcher that doesn't hinder your access to the game at all?

Holy crap.

Yeah, I don't really buy into them doing something 'wrong' either. What they're doing is pretty par for the course as far as games go nowadays. That doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

I think the OP did the right thing coming here to express his displeasure, but did so in a way that weakens his argument. I also think people going overboard to say why Blizzard shouldn't do it is unnecessary as well.

All you really have to do is come on here and say, "Look, I think the community spotlights are not useful and/or dumb for the following reasons: X, Y, Z. Can we please never have them again?" That's all. Sure people will disagree, and in this case even the Blizzard people disagree. But at least we've got it out there at that point.

So you're saying forced ads before a movie is equatable to a 250x400 image on a launcher that doesn't hinder your access to the game at all?

Holy crap.

Yeah, I don't really buy into them doing something 'wrong' either. What they're doing is pretty par for the course as far as games go nowadays. That doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

I think the OP did the right thing coming here to express his displeasure, but did so in a way that weakens his argument. I also think people going overboard to say why Blizzard shouldn't do it is unnecessary as well.

All you really have to do is come on here and say, "Look, I think the community spotlights are not useful and/or dumb for the following reasons: X, Y, Z. Can we please never have them again?" That's all. Sure people will disagree, and in this case even the Blizzard people disagree. But at least we've got it out there at that point.

I just want to opt in or opt out of that content, and boy did that annoy people.
Honestly, anyone complaining about a player spotlight on the launcher (which is essentially promoting getting to know others in the WoW community), must be pretty miserable with their lives. Baj and Jen are awesome people, but even if you haven't ever seen them, why are you complaining? it's just senseless.
05/01/2015 10:11 PMPosted by Rubedo
I just want to opt in or opt out of that content, and boy did that annoy people.

Yeah dude, I saw that. You had like -5 at the time for saying that you wanted to be able to turn it off. That's productive feedback that I think Blizzard would be interested to see, whether or not they choose to do it.

Seems like people are in 'circle the wagons' mode right now, all one way or another.
05/01/2015 10:17 PMPosted by Primex
Honestly, anyone complaining about a player spotlight on the launcher (which is essentially promoting getting to know others in the WoW community), must be pretty miserable with their lives. Baj and Jen are awesome people, but even if you haven't ever seen them, why are you complaining? it's just senseless.

Because I don't want that content in the launcher? And things will never change if you don't at least make your voice heard?

Granted, people are being too aggressive about it, but I think it's a valid complaint.

Offering alternatives and reasons will be better received than "I don't pay you to ____", but I wager it's less likely to get a blue response.
05/01/2015 10:22 PMPosted by Moordenaar

Because I don't want that content in the launcher? And things will never change if you don't at least make your voice heard?

Granted, people are being too aggressive about it, but I think it's a valid complaint.

Offering alternatives and reasons will be better received than "I don't pay you to ____", but I wager it's less likely to get a blue response.

Why don't you want that content in the launcher? is it really so important to you? how much time do you spend on average even looking at it? Genuine questions, cause I don't get how it's even remotely an issue.
I'm upset that Zarhym validated this thread with a blue post. This is one of the most ridiculous complaints I have ever seen. What makes you think you get to pick the advertisements you see? When has the world ever worked like that?

How exactly is seeing a still frame of a youtube channel detrimental to your game experience in any legitimate way?

Get over yourself.

But it is useless complaining about something that doesn't hinder or prevent you from playing the game at all.

You don't have to click on it, the point is that just because you don't want doesn't mean it can't be there. Ignore or Avoid it.
05/01/2015 10:29 PMPosted by Arbs
Avoid it.

That's what I want to opt in on!
05/01/2015 10:28 PMPosted by Primex

Why don't you want that content in the launcher? is it really so important to you? how much time do you spend on average even looking at it? Genuine questions, cause I don't get how it's even remotely an issue.

Because that content is of no interest to me. It's not terribly important to me; I'm not going to click it, either way. It's not an "issue" - that's what I'm getting at. People are saying it's an "issue" when in reality it's a preference.

Game companies especially like to talk about how much they care about player feedback. My feedback is that the content they are choosing to back in the launcher is uninteresting and I'd prefer that it not be there. I have my own reasons for disliking streamers and the relationships they have with game companies, but that's not the main point. At the end of the day, it's content I don't want and my feedback is to remove it, for whatever that's worth.

05/01/2015 10:29 PMPosted by Arbs
But it is useless complaining about something that doesn't hinder or prevent you from playing the game at all.

You don't have to click on it, the point is that just because you don't want doesn't mean it can't be there. Ignore or Avoid it.

Useless? Why?

I know I don't have to click it. I'm not going to. But forums are for feedback, and that's what's being given. It's not useless to give feedback - it's what the company wants you to do! For instance, if they learned that this sort of feature was largely ignored or unliked, they would avoid doing it in the future, saving themselves effort and freeing up space for different content.

But they won't know that unless you tell them.

Unlike others here, I'm not 'demanding' that it be removed. I'm not saying that because I don't like it, no one should see it. I'm saying that as a user of the launcher, I don't want that content in it. That's all. No demands, no lectures.

I don't think that sort of feedback is unreasonable OR useless.
Because I don't want that content in the launcher?

I brought it up before but I'll repeat it, why?

Is it because the guy streams on twitch?

Is it because the content he creates is based on playing the game?

We have seen links to vids in the launcher before, one I mentioned earlier was Carbot, his content is great, no one complained or said a word and he monetizes his channel and has double the subs and views as Bahjeera.

It requires talent and a personality to keep people engaged on the kind of content that he does, why shouldn't someone be rewarded for that talent with a bit of cash?

They couldn't just link one of his random vids in the launcher it wouldn't have made sense for a lot of players in that context, it totally makes sense for him to introduce himself and give a link to his channel for any who might want to look at his stuff (which obviously quite a few do)
Why are there suggestion boxes in Heaven?

Because some people can't be happy unless they can complain.
Throwing my hat in the "respectuflly, really not a big fan" ring. This is monetized content for those people, and thus advertising. I really dislike being presented with advertising in something I'm already paying for, that I have no way to opt out of. I understand the promotion aspect, but to me that's more along the lines of someone doing cosplay, linked to a Facebook page. They may get donations there, but it is not so inherently involved in view/click = $. And honestly, I'd be fine not even seeing the cosplay. That's ... kind of what fansites are for, to me, and they do a great job spotlighting such things. I go there if I want to see it, not I see it because I wanted to play the game.

And I get that Twtich promotes the game. That's great. But if it's in the launcher, someone is -already playing the game-. That argument just doesn't really work. I see an overly large amount of Twitch links in-game on some of my realms already, and it just gets tiresome. It's usually an opportunity for someone to either obnoxiously brag about their progress or standing (Glad Streaming, ___ ilevel Streaming, etc) or to make money. Sometimes both. It just doesn't really serve the "hey that's cool content that might get more people to play" purpose when it's in-game, where people are already playing.

Edit: Really braced for negative feedback (people do love their Twitch) like I've seen in the past/elsewhere in this thread. Thank you community for reminding me that not everybody is unreasonable and some people truly can agree to disagree. It's something I know deep down but sometimes it's hard to remember that the forums are often a snap-shot of the 'squeaky wheels' <3
unless said info is pertaining directly to the game I play and may impact my play, I disregard, be that per unknown players or new additions to the store or non Warcraft related.
05/01/2015 10:36 PMPosted by Sabod
Because I don't want that content in the launcher?

Yes. It is because he is a streamer. I'm not interested in streamers, especially ones as cozy with the company that makes their game as they are.

And by the way, I consider Carbot's work sycophantic sludge as well, a leech-like entity globbing onto the IP(s) due to their popularity.

My question back though is this - does it even matter why I don't want it there? It should be sufficient to say that the content is of no interest to me, and that's that, right?

I already know my opinion is not widely shared, and the Blue comment in this thread has already indicated that they disagree with my perspective, so at this point I just want to put the feedback into the 'feedback machine' for processing, y'know?
05/01/2015 10:46 PMPosted by Moordenaar
05/01/2015 10:36 PMPosted by Sabod

Yes. It is because he is a streamer. I'm not interested in streamers, especially ones as cozy with the company that makes their game as they are.

And by the way, I consider Carbot's work sycophantic sludge as well, a leech-like entity globbing onto the IP(s) due to their popularity.

My question back though is this - does it even matter why I don't want it there? It should be sufficient to say that the content is of no interest to me, and that's that, right?

I already know my opinion is not widely shared, and the Blue comment in this thread has already indicated that they disagree with my perspective, so at this point I just want to put the feedback into the 'feedback machine' for processing, y'know?

Your reasons for not wanting it there are fair enough, my comments were meant to be more relevant to the crowd who is providing "feedback" in a malicious or nonsensical way.
Why do people always have to complain about small things? As others have stated, the video doesnt auto play, so what is the big deal? Do you sit and stare at the launcher the whole time you are at your computer? If it is so bad just use a direct link to Wow.exe instead of ruining someones moment. Bajheera and his new fiance should be allowed to feel good that Blizzard made them a part of the launchers news as temporary that it is. Not have someone who means nothing to this game cry and complain about something they don't have to look at. FFS.