Advertisements in wow launcher

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 26 Next
05/01/2015 07:16 PMPosted by Quenya
You pay to play the game. They want to pop a link to a youtube channel? Fine. You need to leave the entitlement at the door.

It's entitlement now to not want a service you pay for keep hitting you with their latest promotions? My cell provider isn't as noisy as the Launcher.
05/01/2015 07:18 PMPosted by Boggyb
05/01/2015 06:23 PMPosted by Zarhym
I don't think this is ever the start of a constructive statement in any context.

It is a terrible business practice to ignore legitimate customer complaints because you don't like them.

This is not me sitting here on a Friday night responding to this thread because I want it to be ignored. What are you talking about?
05/01/2015 07:18 PMPosted by Boggyb
I don't think this is ever the start of a constructive statement in any context.

It is a terrible business practice to ignore legitimate customer complaints because you don't like them.

It's also completely pointless to get all up in arms and over-react to something on the launcher you're not interested in when you're not forced in any way to view whatever it would take you to should you click it.

If we were forced to view it before the "PLAY" button was useable then the OP would have a point.
05/01/2015 06:40 PMPosted by Aligatro

Its not? Then I don't pay blizzard? As a blizzard customer, I am expressing my dissatisfaction with the portion of the paid service that I don't like. I understand that it was some sort of contest that allowed winners to have a greater exposure to the player base, but I don't like to have youtube advertisements in my launcher. If you plan to make more of stuff like this in the future, it needs to be completely optional.I should be able to turn it off, so it doesn't show for me again.

"I don't pay you to XYZ" has never and will never be a constructive statement. It's completely optional.
05/01/2015 07:19 PMPosted by Zarhym
We're not ignoring other content creators or positive influences in the community by not including them all at once in this highlight.

No but in 8 years I have never seen you guys spotlight anyone who wasn't giving you free advertisement. Not once have I seen you (as in Blizzard) spotlight a normal player.

Your youtube advertisers already get perks from you guys. Why not focus on the everyday player who doesn't make ad revenue from streaming your game.
I really wish threads like these wouldn't get highlighted by Blizzard CMs. It only helps to reconsider my part in this community sometimes, and attracts more of this entitlement that is rampant throughout a lot of communities. There's a video of a community person that you don't have to click and it gets a thread, and replies, to even further bring in more people, and I can only wonder why it is important.

Life is too short to be so cynical and mad about things like these, but I do imagine I'm making a moot point in a forum like this, so I'll leave you folks to it.
Wow reading through this now I'm surprised people are legit upset about this. I mean I saw it and went "Oh, Bajheera, I know that name" and then logged in. I didn't watch it but I'm glad to see it's there.

Glad to see the art spotlights (though still a lil salty none of my art ever gets added to the gallery) and glad to see Blizz doing interviews with websites and in general just reaching back to the community.

I guess I'm confused about what's wrong with that. That's exactly what the launcher is for, a few bullet points about game-related news. It's not even a barrier to the login button like I've seen in other games.
05/01/2015 07:22 PMPosted by Alidir
We're not ignoring other content creators or positive influences in the community by not including them all at once in this highlight.

No but in 8 years I have never seen you guys spotlight anyone who wasn't giving you free advertisement. Not once have I seen you (as in Blizzard) spotlight a normal player.

Your youtube advertisers already get perks from you guys. Why not focus on the everyday player who doesn't make ad revenue from streaming your game.

"Hi, my name is Josh. I am 19 and I go to community college. I've never had a girlfriend but I kind of like this one girl in my English lit class. I work part time at Subway. I didn't win any voting for best WoW whatever or anything and no one knows who I am but I play a male night elf hunter. LFR is awesome! Well this was fun! Thanks guys!"

Something like that?
I still am not seeing what there is to be upset about, but people are free to feel the way they feel.

Even if I personally strongly disagree, I won't fight you for feeling that way.

They never spotlighted a normal player ever, not even when they did that very thing on the D3 forums? Shucks, I guess that never happened. While not on the launcher, it's still a spotlight.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/16203380203
i just looked at the Starcraft section it has links to Carbot, who does amazing animations for the blizzard games.

Would players be ok if his WoW animation was linked from the WoW Launcher? Are players just upset because its someone who makes content from playing the game?

Both Carbot and Bahjeera obviously make some cash from their channels is there really much of a difference between the 2?

I don't know how you define normal, but I'm pretty sure we're at an impasse. You seem to disregard any player the moment they start a YouTube or Twitch channel to share their own WoW-related content and gameplay.

You can claim that it's because you think we just love the PR or advertising. I think it's way overly judgmental and even cynical.
What in the world are you talking abo

[
can we get an option to avoid promotions of mediocre lacklustre players who don't deserve any attention, let alone promotion? k thank you, Zarhym, and I hope I don't come across as too hostile, not my intention.

What in the world are you talking about? You already have that option, don't click the link. Personally I clicked the link and liked the video. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and strangely enough we don't all agree. But unless they start making you click and watch videos before you are permitted to play the game I don't see a problem.
Is this really being complained about, one of WoW's most Iconic players that gives Blizzard more publicity than any of you ever will, gets a non intrusive video of his in the launcher, there's no autoplay and it doesn't hinder you from opening the game. If you're interested in the video, watch it, If you aren't, don't?

Why don't you complain about fan art on the Blizzard website and how that's advertising the people who made it lol.
05/01/2015 07:27 PMPosted by Rixna
I guess I'm confused about what's wrong with that. That's exactly what the launcher is for, a few bullet points about game-related news. It's not even a barrier to the login button like I've seen in other games.

Doesn't it seem weird to you that this thing you call a "Launcher" is for "a few bullet points about game-related news." ...and it's almost always promotions or ads?

Launcher sounds like it should mostly "launch games"