Advertisements in wow launcher

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 26 Next
05/01/2015 07:39 PMPosted by Fairaday
05/01/2015 07:36 PMPosted by Zarhym
It's actually a great point, though I'm not sure if you'll read my reply to it. I just wanted to clarify our intent behind this highlight and, ideally, future highlights like it. The concept is pretty straightforward: highlight community content on the launcher when we don't have anything particularly pressing to put up ourselves at a particular time.

If you must put videos on the launcher, then I would rather see you guys highlight the dev team, the art team, the music team, the CM team, the quest team, etc. Those are the true content creators.

That's understandable. And we do that every chance we get, though those teams are obviously filled with very busy people. And some weekends we might like to show what others in the community are doing. This is one of those weekends.
05/01/2015 07:41 PMPosted by Shimmery
Have to agree with the OP, I clicked on the vid because I thought it might be some promotion for the game or something of the sort, or hell even something cool to hear about people who met playing or something.

I did not expect to see an ad for some random guy's twitch channel. I know it's all the rage with the kids or whatever, but honestly when I start having more fun watching people play the game than playing it myself...that's a serious problem for the game. Really shouldn't be advertising this stuff, IMO.

I am not going to click on it but don't those guys actually get PAID by the number of people who click to view that stuff.
05/01/2015 07:36 PMPosted by Thromdar
Notice Warcraft is nowhere in that quote. You said Blizzard.

Forgive me for thinking you had reading comprehension skills. Forgive me for thinking you understood I was talking about warcraft when the video in question is of a warcraft streamer.
05/01/2015 07:45 PMPosted by Zarhym
That's understandable. And we do that every chance we get, though those teams are obviously filled with very busy people. And some weekends we might like to show what others in the community are doing. This is one of those weekends.

Fair enough. I've had my say and hopefully I've made it clear what I didn't care for and hopefully it was clear that I wasn't attacking the streamers. Have a good weekend.
05/01/2015 07:46 PMPosted by Dis
05/01/2015 07:41 PMPosted by Shimmery
Have to agree with the OP, I clicked on the vid because I thought it might be some promotion for the game or something of the sort, or hell even something cool to hear about people who met playing or something.

I did not expect to see an ad for some random guy's twitch channel. I know it's all the rage with the kids or whatever, but honestly when I start having more fun watching people play the game than playing it myself...that's a serious problem for the game. Really shouldn't be advertising this stuff, IMO.

I am not going to click on it but don't those guys actually get PAID by the number of people who click view that stuff.

Pretty sure it's those guys' jobs/lives, not just hobbies like the rest of us. So, yea.
I sadly watched the whole thing, cringing the whole time. Couldn't help but wonder "Why? Why is this on my launcher?" It's not like it was super news worthy.

Seemed kinda pointless.
05/01/2015 07:46 PMPosted by Dis
but don't those guys actually get PAID by the number of people who click view that stuff.

Yep an blizz just moved a ton of traffic to his channel. I kinda thought it was another blizz video (Like the axe / chopper), then when it took me to this doods youtube channel.. I was kinda shocked. I'm sure he's digging it tho.
05/01/2015 07:43 PMPosted by Alidir
You can insult me Zar all you want. You know exactly what I mean when I say "normal player". Players that do not give you free pr on social media but the players who log in and are helpful to the community everyday without getting paid for it or without getting free perks from you guys.

They don't share their wow related content and gameplay out of the kindness of their hearts or for love of the game. They do it for the same reason Blizzard makes games and that is for money and some very minute fame.

We're at an impasse because of stated beliefs you hold like this:

05/01/2015 07:43 PMPosted by Alidir
They don't share their wow related content and gameplay out of the kindness of their hearts or for love of the game. They do it for the same reason Blizzard makes games and that is for money and some very minute fame.

To me this is saying you either do something you love, or you seek to make money, but it can't be both. That's to suggest, along with previous statements you've made in this thread, that I'm not a player or member of the community, and I cannot legitimately be passionate about Blizzard games, because my job involves a paycheck.

I wasn't insulting you. That's objectively cynical.
05/01/2015 07:48 PMPosted by Tatiana
cringing the whole time

It is a bit cringe worthy to be honest, kudos for the guy, but I think blizzard should be in charge of editing things that will be showcased in the launcher, I'm sure it wll be better received
05/01/2015 07:47 PMPosted by Fairaday
05/01/2015 07:45 PMPosted by Zarhym

Fair enough. I've had my say and hopefully I've made it clear what I didn't care for and hopefully it was clear that I wasn't attacking the streamers. Have a good weekend.

You too, Fairaday! I appreciate the constructive, critical feedback nonetheless!
05/01/2015 07:39 PMPosted by Lynrdskynard
I'm seriously curious as to how you would like to see Blizzard "spotlight" a "normal" player if you are specifically against them linking youtube and twitch video associated players.

I am not completely against it. It is business but they shouldn't be linking to his channel and giving him mass revenue from it. They should have done an in house video that he wouldn't make money off of if it was truly a community spotlight.

As far as how to go about spotlighting actual players not just the ones who scratch Blizz's back. Other games do it all the time. They could easily ask for nominations of players from realms to be spotlighted but they won't because there is nothing to be gained for them by doing so.
05/01/2015 07:39 PMPosted by Fairaday
highlight the dev team, the art team, the music team, the CM team, the quest team, etc. Those are the true content creators.

Those'd be great to see, I love the art articles. They were really good about posting spotlights on content stuff during beta, and it'd be nice to have similar sneak peeks for 6.2 and future content as far as actual development is concerned; but I'm guessing that (unlike something like a Tanaan preview) would actually take time away from the developers since they're the ones being poked for information. I think community spotlights are good to have inbetween too though.
Did my comment really get deleted even though I seem to be the only person in this thread backing Baj up? How about you delete that !@# who's bashing him with lies, then I wouldn't have to post.

What a joke.
05/01/2015 07:43 PMPosted by Zarhym
05/01/2015 07:38 PMPosted by Rixna

That's what running an .exe file does. A launcher is a space that has information about a game or games including promotions and any relevant news or patch notes. That's exactly what they're using it for, too.

And I'm really glad, 'cause some days I don't check the forums so having info there helps me find it easier, and also informs players that may not regularly check for information on the game that there are things happening in the community.

The launcher has more reach than any external media, including their own website.

Great summary of the launcher. :)

Yeah, I'd like to just run the .exe file but when I do that directly, I've gotta enter passwords for both accounts, and fool with the authenticator twice, and then when the game is running, I have to do a "/console gxrestart" because of some goofy bug where the last Wow-64.exe instance launched behaves as "always on top", such that it is the foreground to everything except Task Manager.

Yes, I could launch the exe directly, but it's become so painful...this wasn't always the case...a couple years ago this was all very easy and simple, and I had zero use for the Launcher. I don't like using it, but it's the least troublesome way to launch the game.

Being able to pass the .exe some parameters like the account to use would be nice. I'd just make a little wow.bat file to fire up both instances, each to it's own account.
people find the silliest things to complain about
Zarhym 2016!
Really though, pretty much anytime I see a CM post I'm immediately grateful. Customer service isn't the easiest job in the world, as many of us know, and it inspires me to see how calmly and precisely CMs interact with the community. Thank you, Zarhym.
05/01/2015 07:46 PMPosted by Alidir
05/01/2015 07:36 PMPosted by Thromdar
Notice Warcraft is nowhere in that quote. You said Blizzard.

Forgive me for thinking you had reading comprehension skills. Forgive me for thinking you understood I was talking about warcraft when the video in question is of a warcraft streamer.

I always assume people do mean exactly what they say on these forums, because usually, they do. I apologize for that. Real people are always harder for me to comprehend fully. Words in a book, non-fiction or fiction I can get comprehension from. People aren't as easy to read as that though, at least, not for me.

Anyway I won't argue semantics anymore, I've done that enough. And now I'm going to do that lonely walk down the highway with that sad music because I said I wouldn't post again but I did.
Then is there a way for us to nominate players we'd like to see highlighted in the launcher?

I'm on a RP realm and while I don't role play myself, there's a player from another RP realm who's very active on his YouTube channel. He posts videos about what RP in WoW is like, interviewing other players who RP about their styles and character backstories, and also demonstrates the game from the leveling quest perspective.

He presents a side of the game that the streamers tend to avoid, and he does it in a positive and respective fashion without using obscentiies and rude insults toward others like too many of the streamers use. He might not be a polished entertainer, but his sincere enjoyment from playing the game shows.
I think its really sad that anyone thinks that because they pay to play this game that they have a say as if they were on some sort of board of directors. All of this is Blizzard's to do with as they please. If you don't want to see it, then don't click the link. Outside of that, you have proven yourself incapable of communicating constructively, blowing something out of proportion that does nothing to harm you, and sound like a spoiled child wailing in the middle of a department store for attention. The only slight that has been done against anyone here, is everyone's perception of you, and that was completely in your control. So bravo. You owned yourselves.