Reversing The Removal of Socialization In WoW

General Discussion
1 2 3 22 Next
The 2015 Q1 earnings call has made it abundantly clear that Blizzard isn’t quite on the right track. Here are some changes that I’d like to see made to PVE, along with my reasoning:

1) Remove LFR
Blizzard, your numbers are lying to you. Just because LFR participation is high does not mean that it is a valued part of the WoW experience. WoW is an MMO and quite frankly LFR is not an MM experience. You join through a menu, you don’t need to speak with anyone and at the end the game arbitrarily decides whether or not to reward you with some poor loot. There is nothing multiplayer about looking at a potentially cool boss and then realizing that it has been dumbed down to the point where you have to have people actively trying to troll the raid in order to fail. Failure is fine, don’t treat everyone with kid gloves all the time and maybe they won’t get bored with the constant stream of instant gratification like they did this year.

Premade Group Finder on the other hand is a great tool. Remove LFR and let the LFG tool take its place. If you’re a casual player and you want to play the game on your own time and on your own terms, great! Sign up for one of the many runs available 24 hours a day and only commit the time that you feel that you can. LFG normal modes at least require you to have a social experience that is a lot closer to real raiding than the glorified single player experience that LFR is.

2) Make Mythic 15 Man
Let me start by saying that Mythic content this xpac is great. I love the consolidated raid size and I love the difficulty. Tier 17 has been in my opinion a pretty good tier. The problem is that no matter how good the content is, if it’s killing guilds left and right then no one is going to see it.

As the GM of a former 10 man guild that went 25 and then 20, I can tell you from first hand experience that getting to Mythic was no joke. Unfortunately, not every guild has a core as strong as ours and lots and lots of good former Heroic guilds have died as a result. Huge raid sizes are a thing of the past, the effort required to keep a 20 man guild alive is staggering, the recruitment alone is a part time job and that’s only one facet of 20 man guild management.

Let’s face it, people like smaller raid sizes, there is a reason 10 man was so popular, and not it’s not because it was easier. There is an intimate atmosphere that is lost with you move to larger raid sizes. 10 man was probably too small to properly balance but 15 man should be fine.

If you bring Mythic down to 15 man, you will still be able to expect that all Mythic guilds have at least one of each class, and you will still be able to deliver the high-quality content you have shown that you can deliver ever since that travesty of a raid Dragon Soul. You may not be able to get away with gimmicky mechanics like MC on Furnace, but those mechanics are gimmicks, I have no idea why you wanted to bring them back anyway except maybe as another play for BC nostalgia.

3) Make heroic dungeons hard again and remove the Dungeon Finder
No, don’t make them Cataclysm level hard, but do make them harder than the snooze fests they are now. Remove LFR and make heroic 5 mans drop LFR level loot. Make them a meaningful part of the gear progression path again, not something that you can skip with two BOEs and only run for legendary items.

At the same time remove the Dungeon Finder. Put the multiplayer back in the game. Add 5 man content to the Premade Group tool and let people form their own groups. Let them hop in mumble or vent and hangout as they kill internet bad guys. In fact, if you guys could figure out how to make a working in game voice tool that would be pretty swell. Valve recently made a change to the in game voice chat and now it rivals Mumble and TS in quality, I’m sure you guys could find a way to do something similar.

In Conclusion:
Ever since Wrath you guys have been slowly removing social experiences from this game and replacing them with menus. There is something perverse about an MMO that allows people to log into a single player zone and experience ghetto versions of the game’s content without actually having to interact with any other players. I refuse to believe that the player base of this game is so anti-social that you guys have been forced to cater to them for the past few years.

As someone who has played this game for a fairly long time, it’s not the moment that I killed the internet dragon that I am nostalgic about, it’s the process and the people that got me there that I remember fondly. Don’t deprive people of that experience, let them work together instead of herding them through the game like sheep. Maybe then they’ll have a reason to keep playing once they have hit max level.

TL;DR Remove the barriers that prevent people from having social experiences, let people interact with more than just menus in their garrison.
TL;DR Remove the barriers that prevent people from having social experiences, let people interact with more than just menus in their garrison.

Summary of TL DR make me a special snowflake again and please remove the matchmaking tools that make dungeons accessible to people on badly unbalanced servers..

Glad you were never my GM..Id leave in a second.
05/07/2015 02:33 PMPosted by Aehl
please remove the matchmaking tools that make dungeons accessible to people on badly unbalanced servers..

05/07/2015 02:27 PMPosted by Woopeisha
Add 5 man content to the Premade Group tool and let people form their own groups.

The Premade Group tool is cross-realm. So no. This wouldn't be an issue.
05/07/2015 02:33 PMPosted by Aehl

Summary of TL DR make me a special snowflake again and please remove the matchmaking tools that make dungeons accessible to people on badly unbalanced servers..

Glad you were never my GM..Id leave in a second.
Random matchmaking is such a fun social experience. Its a good thing it always works so well on the internet. Net time I go on a date Im going to pick numbers out of the phone book at random.
How to lose more subscribers:
1) Remove LFR
05/07/2015 02:38 PMPosted by Felryx
1) Remove LFR

Way to read the post man. Solid work.

05/07/2015 02:36 PMPosted by Loans
Random matchmaking is such a fun social experience. Its a good thing it always works so well on the internet. Net time I go on a date Im going to pick numbers out of the phone book at random.

Yeah, apparently having to actually speak to people to form a group would be unacceptable.
1) Remove LFR

How to lose the rest just about:

3) ...and remove the Dungeon Finder
Way to read the post man. Solid work.

1) Remove LFR
<span class="truncated">...</span>

How to lose the rest just about:

3) ...and remove the Dungeon Finder

Would having to be social in an MMO really hurt you that badly? Seriously. Group experiences that happen without a single word being exchanged between participants are the exact opposite of how an MMO should be. It's essentially playing with NPCs. I want to revitalize the social aspect of WoW because it has been whittled down in every subsequent expansion.

05/07/2015 02:41 PMPosted by Dèan
why did you leave Fierce a week before they got Blackhand down?

Because I strongly dislike their raid leader and how he runs the guild.
The 2015 Q1 earnings call has made it abundantly clear that Blizzard isn’t quite on the right track.

as a shareholder, Im excited how the 2015 Q1 earnings have done.. This is a wonderfully run business, and they are making tons of profits. Q1 2015 has been a great quarter

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150506006466/en/Activision-Blizzard-Announces-Better-Than-Expected-Quarter-2015-Financial

Theyre expecting to pull in 4.4 billion in revenue this year alone. That is superb
05/07/2015 02:45 PMPosted by Dèan
05/07/2015 02:43 PMPosted by Woopeisha
Because I strongly dislike their raid leader and how he runs the guild.

is the mage your posting on still there or have you just not gquit yet?

My alts all got removed after I left, probably just shows me still in the guild on forums because I haven't logged in on this character since then.

05/07/2015 02:46 PMPosted by Ðeathshadöw
The 2015 Q1 earnings call has made it abundantly clear that Blizzard isn’t quite on the right track.

as a shareholder, Im excited how the 2015 Q1 earnings have done.. This is a wonderfully run business, and they are making tons of profits. Q1 2015 has been a great quarter

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150506006466/en/Activision-Blizzard-Announces-Better-Than-Expected-Quarter-2015-Financial

Theyre expecting to pull in 4.4 billion in revenue this year alone. That is superb

They just lost 30% of their subscribers in 1 quarter. That is indisputably not good. Stop being obtuse.
Surprised at the lack of interest in this topic. I think I have some compelling arguments.
Yeah, apparently having to actually speak to people to form a group would be unacceptable.

Yeah the days of screaming in /2 only to have the group fall apart after waiting so long was soooo successful....

Surprised at the lack of interest in this topic.

You are WAY too late to this party,...another player was here before you, and he was well and truly tarred, feathered and ridden out of town on a rail.

It was...EPIC.

Sorry you missed the fun...I made a fortune supplying pitchforks and rotten vegetables. Whoever thought being a grocer could be so profitable?
05/07/2015 03:16 PMPosted by Aehl
Yeah the days of screaming in /2 only to have the group fall apart after waiting so long was soooo successful....

Why do I have to quote this for you a 2nd time...
Add 5 man content to the Premade Group tool and let people form their own groups.

You don't have to sit in trade to form a group. But you *do* have to actually interact with other players. Reading comprehension, please.
I do think we need to lose a raid difficulty but I don't think it's LFR.

Normal and heroic share the exact same mechanics and raid size - I truly don't understand why they take up two difficulties. I feel like if there was only one it would encourage more people to pursue mythic to help fill those rosters that are hurting for people.

I think the biggest change they should make to help the game be more social and group-oriented is to update the Guild Finder so that it's a useful tool that only shows relevant information and not old/dead/bank guilds that aren't even recruiting or haven't logged on in 3 years.
05/07/2015 03:24 PMPosted by Rixna
I truly don't understand why they take up two difficulties. I feel like if there was only one it would encourage more people to pursue mythic to help fill those rosters that are hurting for people.

People were already complaining about the jump being too large from LFR to normal. Removing normal or heroic would only exacerbate this. Removing LFR instead gives a much more normal difficulty curve from more difficult heroic dungeons to normal raiding.
Take off the rose-colored glasses.
05/07/2015 03:05 PMPosted by Woopeisha
Surprised at the lack of interest in this topic. I think I have some compelling arguments.
Ive been talking about this stuff since Cata. Everyone just wants to click a menu and collect loot.