Mage, Poor Overall DPS?

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Hello,

I'm relatively new back to WOW. I've played off and on since early release.

I've made a new mage which is now 44th level. I do most of my leveling using random dungeons. I've tried Arcane and Frost. Using either, I generally find myself with the lowest overall damage (with the exception of the healer).

I google a lot, try suggested rotations and suggestions.

The problem seems to be on non-boss elites my party kills mobs, even groups of them, so quickly that I barely get an Arcane Blast or two in (so I try to use Arcane Explosion heavily). And I try to start casting before the tank hits the mob so I'm not too late into the fight.

My gear is mostly heirloom (but not entirely). The only enchants I have are those I cast myself as I level enchanting, which means I usually don't have ideal enchants on.

I mean I know I'm sometimes late to fights, and that will impact my overall numbers, and I don't have perfect timing. But this aside, I'd expect to be in the top 2 or even 3 far more often.

Are mages at 44th comparable to hutners and melee types for DPS?
If the mobs are dying before you even cast on them there's nothing you can do. And that'll happen a lot while leveling. You should be able to compete on bosses though.
Mages are pretty dependent on secondary stats, so they're a pretty miserable leveling experience.

Moreover, Arcane's stat is mastery- which unlocks at level 80. And Frost's stat is Multistrike- and the first pieces with Multistrike on them start to drop at level 90.

The game isn't really balanced around low level play. Get to max level and gear your mage up, because Mages are in an incredibly good spot in T17.
Until you are near 100 most tanks will be leading damage charts by a significant margin. You really shouldn't worry about relative dps until 100 as Blizzard doesn't spend resources balancing low level content.
05/10/2015 08:36 PMPosted by Kallee
overall damage

That's some of the problem. Look at the data from specific boss fights, when everyone is more likely to contribute damage, but even then nobody's on equal ground. Overall data includes all of the trash that's killed by the hunters and melee while you're still trying to catch up.
OK, thank you all. This is very reassuring.
05/10/2015 11:26 PMPosted by Sparten
near 100 most tanks will be leading damage charts by a significant margin. You really shouldn't worry about relative dps until 100 as Blizzard doesn't spend resources balancing low level content.

I understand what you're saying. I only worry because when I see that I'm being out-damaged so badly I don't really feel like I'm contributing all that much.

I've switched back to questing to level until I get higher. Even though I've level 85+ characters, I felt I was not really playing the game when I leveled simply by doing dungeons (not that quests provide any difficulty at all either of course).
There's also one other thing.

Unless you know of a way of having everyone share a first place, then someone is gonna be at the top and someone at the bottom. It doesn't necessarely means anything is wrong.

I could be doing 50k DPS. If my CoDPS are doing 51k and 52k, then I'll be on bottom. It's still amazing numbers.