Basic Recruitment Etiquette + Post Template

Guild Recruitment
1 2 3 16 Next
** NOTE: Do not post your ad as a reply to this thread. It's a great example of not being able to follow directions and likely a down vote from any credible recruiter. **

Here are some tips for getting your recruitment post noticed and cutting through a lot of the spam to find your right fit.

Copy & paste this template to your post if you're looking for a guild.
Explanation of each field follows. Additionally, listing your class/spec, progression, and a brief description of what you're looking for in the subject/title line of your post will expedite this process for recruiters.

1. Times available & time zone:
2. Server preference:
3. Faction preference:
4. Hardcore/semi-hardcore/casual:
5. Current progression/experience:
6. Recent logs (if available):
7. Contact info:
8. Anything else:

1. Times/time zones! Remember to post what times you are available, any times you are not available, or if your schedule is flexible at all. Too many times people post, "I need a guild that can work with my schedule," and then never bother to post their availability! Include your time zone as well.

2. Server preference: PvE, PvP, or RP? Is this 100% set in stone, or are you flexible? If you're not willing to transfer off-server, you should probably be posting on your realm-specific forum.

3. Faction preference: Alliance or Horde? Any flexibility? This means you too, Doubleagent!

4. Hardcore/Semi-hardcore/casual: Are you wanting to raid seven days a week, eight hours a day with only bio breaks every two hours? Or do you need something more laid back, but still efficient? Or do you just want to sign on every other week or so?

5. Current progression/experience: Are you brand new to the game and have no idea what BoE means? Or have you been through multiple tiers and are just coming back to the game? Adding these details will help recruiters narrow down potential applicants and increase your chances of finding a good fit. Because the majority of this forum is populated by raiders, giving more details on what you are currently doing to improve your gear/play style will help sell a recruiter on a person who may not have quite as much experience or gear as the recruiter initially wanted.

6. If you are trying to go hardcore/semi-hardcore and have recent parses, link them! Why bother accepting and declining a million Btag requests just for them to ask for this basic info?

7. Contact info: Do you prefer guilds to respond within your thread, to an email address, or by adding your Btag? This will also help you narrow down guild choices if a cut and paste spammer chooses to ignore your preference!

7. UPDATE YOUR POST: If you do happen to find a home (yay you!), please do the forums a favor and update your original post to reflect your transferred/new guild status. Old/necro'd threads getting bumped by spam wastes everyone's time.

8. If it's not going to work out or you change your mind, simply say so. Recruiters are often only recruiting for one or two positions and may decline others if you accept an offer. If you vanish (delete/transfer) without a trace, they're left wondering if they still need to hold the spot. In the meantime, other applicants may have moved on and now the recruiter is back to square one, except now more frustrated and fed up. Recruiters will appreciate the few seconds it takes to shoot them a note before you peace out.

8a. Additionally, if someone adds your BattleTag and you can tell fairly early on that it's not going to work out, a simple, "Thanks, but I'm not interested," before removing them from your list makes everyone's life a little easier.

TL;DR: It doesn't have to be a novel, but a little effort (and politeness) on both sides goes a long way. Cheers!

** Want to know if you're the victim of a drive by spray-and-pray spammer? Click the yellow down arrow by the character name on the left hand side of the post box, then click 'View Posts' -- it's a quick, simple way to see if someone took the time to tailor their message to your post (i.e. s/he actually read it) versus copy pasta. **

If you have any feedback on this post or have recruiting questions, please feel free to add my Btag, Riot#1851.
approval bump!
Can we get a sticky?
Nice post!
Poppin' this again.
Dis.
This needs a sticky.
Approval Bump
Give it a sticky already
Agreed. This should get a sticky
Mind your manners, yo.
/nod
I'll wash your mouth out with soap.
This definitely needs a sticky
Also, please feel free to leave suggestions for edits and updates. I'll be checking back regularly.
Good luck in raids tonight!
This would totally deserve a sticky, man
Love this! Thank you!
Sticky please