Subtlety - Daggers vs. Swords/Maces/Axes

Rogue
Hi,

Sorry if this is a blatantly obvious thing, but I just got back to WoW and I'm leveling a rogue.

He's currently combat spec, but I was considering subtlety for giggles. Are daggers the preferred weapon type for this spec or can I use maces/swords/axes? I know that ambush now does not require daggers, but that you do get an additional bonus for using a dagger...just not sure if one outweighs the other.

Anyway, thanks for your time!
The trade off is simply, higher hemo damage (2.6 mh) or a higher ambush (dagger). Daggers also require a positional requirement so if you play on a god awful connection you may have to stab someone in the face sometimes.

If you're leveling from 1, daggers are fine...I mean ambush, evis, dead. Every fight.

I don't think I'd really recommend a hemo based build until questing 80+ (and that's only if you're 100% set on being sub at that time, personally I enjoyed combat for BF + KS and killing 2-3 npcs at a time until 85)
At low levels you will definitely be better of with the strong ambush.

Go with daggers. Trust me.

^ he is very right
12/31/2010 10:46 PMPosted by Vanishbrb
higher hemo damage (2.6 mh) or a higher ambush (dagger).
Both attacks are normalized, meaning the speed of the main-hand weapon isn't factored into its damage calculation.

The strength of your ambush depends primarily on the DPS of your weapon, not its speed.
01/01/2011 11:34 AMPosted by Ekidna
higher hemo damage (2.6 mh) or a higher ambush (dagger).
Both attacks are normalized, meaning the speed of the main-hand weapon isn't factored into its damage calculation.

The strength of your ambush depends primarily on the DPS of your weapon, not its speed.

wat

speeds were only used as a reference to differentiate...

Dagger and a fist weapon, similar stats, hemo hits a bit harder on average with the fist weapon than with the dagger, while ambush is the opposite...at least from all the playing around I've done that's what I've seen.

I could be wrong, RNG hates me, maybe it just gives me the high end for one and the low for other. I enjoy hemo at the moment regardless.
01/01/2011 11:55 AMPosted by Vanishbrb

wat

speeds were only used as a reference to differentiate...

Dagger and a fist weapon, similar stats, hemo hits a bit harder on average with the fist weapon than with the dagger, while ambush is the opposite...at least from all the playing around I've done that's what I've seen.

I could be wrong, RNG hates me, maybe it just gives me the high end for one and the low for other. I enjoy hemo at the moment regardless.
You're right, ambush does do more with a dagger.

It's a bit different for hem. however, dealing 110% of a non-dagger and 160% of a dagger. One may very well come out on top of the other.
u dont hemo for dmg, ever

u backstab.
01/01/2011 12:35 PMPosted by Lunarclick

u backstab.

Butbutbut the OP

12/31/2010 6:58 PMPosted by Valshara
Sorry if this is a blatantly obvious thing, but I just got back to WoW and I'm leveling a rogue.

I just got back to WoW and I'm leveling a rogue

leveling a rogue

leveling

u backstab.

Butbutbut the OP

I just got back to WoW and I'm leveling a rogue

leveling a rogue

leveling

my point remains, hemo is not meant for dmg

and to be more clear, u don't lvl as sub, u culd but i wanna see hows gonna be past 80(u cant one shot mobs with ambush>evis on cata), hemoing for 5ks a mob with 80k hp or elites with 500k.
gl
01/01/2011 2:34 PMPosted by Lunarclick

Butbutbut the OP

my point remains, hemo is not meant for dmg

and to be more clear, u don't lvl as sub, u culd but i wanna see hows gonna be past 80(u cant one shot mobs with ambush>evis on cata), hemoing for 5ks a mob with 80k hp or elites with 500k.
gl
I leveled as sub from 80 to 85 and got realm first.
Thank you all for your replies...I really appreciate it!

What I've gathered so far is this:

1. Ambush/backstab hit harder with daggers
2. Hemo hits harder with slower weapons, but its damage is not worth it to spam continually

I have a pair of slower heirloom weapons that I was considering using with a subtlety build, but now I might consider getting the daggers instead. Do you guys think it's worth my time to get the daggers or would using the slower weapons be 'sufficient' for leveling purposes.

Again, thank you all very much!
Depends on how big of a pain getting daggers is going to be for you and what you'll have to sacrifice timewise for them.

Sub is pretty amazing for leveling actually. even above 80 in the cata zones I've been going between 3 GCD kills (with SS/Premed) and 5 or 6 GCD kills (refresh SnD/recup if needed but i have deadly momentum). all of the rogue specs are pretty good for leveling speed though as long as you can keep deadly momentum proccing to keep recup/SnD going.