Watcher says no flying in WoW's future.

General Discussion
1 2 3 511 Next
http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/22/8645293/world-of-warcraft-no-flying-tanaan-jungle-warlords-of-draenor-mmo-pc-blizzard

Polygon recently did an interview with Ion Hazzikostas. One notable segment was that flying will probably not be in any new zones or expansions:
When Warlords of Draenor first hit, some fans were surprised to discover that even upon reaching the new level cap of 100, they couldn't fly with their air-based mounts in the new zones. Initially Blizzard expected to patch in flying at some point, but now it has changed its mind.

"Having looked at how flying has played out in the old world in the last couple of expansions, we realized that while we were doing it out of this ingrained habit after we introduced flying in The Burning Crusade, it actually detracted from gameplay in a whole lot of ways," Hazzikostas explains. "While there was certainly convenience in being able to completely explore the world in three dimensions, that also came at the expense of gameplay like targeted exploration, like trying to figure out what's in that cave on top of a hill and how do I get up there."

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
"We're not going to be reintroducing the ability to fly in Draenor, and that's kind of where we're at going forward."

Hazziokostas confirms that this direction includes future expansions, though he doesn't discount the possibility of adding flight options in to specific expansion ideas or zones that would benefit from it. In general, though, he believes that exploration in Blizzard's massive world "works better and feels better in our view when you're doing it from the ground."

There's your definitive answer everyone.
I'm not happy about this, but apparently there's nothing I can do at this point other than "deal with it". Sigh.

Edit: I take that back. There is something I can do. And I did.

Success
Your World of Warcraft subscription has been canceled successfully. Please note:

Your World of Warcraft account and your characters have not been deleted. In the event that you return to the game, you can resume playing right where you left off.
Your game subscription will be valid through Oct 21, 2015 1:48:29 PM PDT. In order to get back into the game, you can add a subscription to your account or use a game card via Account Management.

Ten years.
Every physical collector's edition since the beginning, including for other games because I love pets so much.
I'm genuinely sad and disappointed to cancel, but they need to know that this announcement affects me in a very large way.
Thanks for creating a thread on this. As you noted, lead designer Ion Hazzikostas mentioned in a recent interview with Polygon that we’ve decided not to allow the use of flying mounts on Draenor. There’s been a lot of debate about the pros and cons of flying over the course of this expansion—not just in the community, but in the hallways, offices, and break rooms at Blizzard—and we know it’s something everyone feels passionately about.

During Patch 6.2’s development, we continued to discuss how flight would fundamentally change the way players experience all of Draenor’s ground-based content, and carefully weighed that against the benefits flying would bring to the game. Ultimately, after much deliberation, we came to the conclusion that the world of Draenor would simply no longer provide the experience we envisioned it if we were to reintroduce flight in this expansion.

We appreciate everyone who has taken the time to weigh in on this topic. You’ve provided some great insight and feedback, and we ask that you please be respectful of one another as you continue to discuss your thoughts and experiences.

You can read the original quote in Ion’s interview with Polygon here.
Hold on to your butts.
05/22/2015 12:25 PMPosted by Crithto
Thanks for creating a thread on this. As you noted, lead designer Ion Hazzikostas mentioned in a recent interview with Polygon that we’ve decided not to allow the use of flying mounts on Draenor. There’s been a lot of debate about the pros and cons of flying over the course of this expansion—not just in the community, but in the hallways, offices, and break rooms at Blizzard—and we know it’s something everyone feels passionately about.

No problem.

I can understand no flying in current content, I don't get not allowing it once zones are a couple patches behind. =/
can I use flight form on the ground at least

ground form
Thank you for the clear answer.

*hides under desk and gets popcorn*
05/22/2015 12:26 PMPosted by Szavetra
Hold on to your butts.

Yeah. I've already donned my asbestos suit.

Edited to add that though I understand why, I'm sad about the no flying in Draenor. There is something both liberating and exhilarating in flying over the land, high above the fray.
Personally I think the real reason is that the game has such a lack of world content that they need you on the ground to make it more of a time sump.
Well ok, Lets say we accept that fact. Now how about a refund for the flying skill we had to pay for and the flying mounts we bought assuming we would be able to use them in the game? If they are going to remove a feature that players paid money for then the players should be refunded the money. It is not the players removing the items or deciding not to use them it is the seller removing a feature that they sold to players under the assumption that the players would be allowed to use said item in game.

You cant sell someone a car and then go back and take the car back without giving the buyer back his money. Virtual items fall into that same area. It was sold and should be either allowed or refunded due to the fact it is not something under buyer control but the sellers.
This is garbage.
So there's no flying at all in future expansions as well?

This makes me sad :(
Going to need a REALLY large bucket of popcorn for this.
No reason to purchase any mounts ever again! Thanks for clearing that up Blizz. While I disagree with the decision, I can certainly respect your right to make that decision, it is your game after all...
Ultimately, after much deliberation, we came to the conclusion that the world of Draenor would simply no longer provide the experience we envisioned it if we were to reintroduce flight in this expansion.

When you say "in this expansion" do you mean while this is the current expansion, or the content that is this expansion (Draenor, essentially) and that flying in Draenor will never happen even in 7.0 and beyond?

During Patch 6.2’s development, we continued to discuss how flight would fundamentally change the way players experience all of Draenor’s ground-based content, and carefully weighed that against the benefits flying would bring to the game. Ultimately, after much deliberation, we came to the conclusion that the world of Draenor would simply no longer provide the experience we envisioned it if we were to reintroduce flight in this expansion.

We appreciate everyone who has taken the time to weigh in on this topic. You’ve provided some great insight and feedback, and we ask that you please be respectful of one another as you continue to discuss your thoughts and experiences.

You can read the original quote in [url="http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/22/8645293/world-of-warcraft-no-flying-tanaan-jungle-warlords-of-draenor-mmo-pc-blizzard"]Ion’s interview with Polygon here[/url].

The loss of 25% of your customers says youre all WRONG but you keep telling yourselves that you are doing a good thing and those stock holders will correct your mistake soon enough!!

You can read the original quote in [url="http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/22/8645293/world-of-warcraft-no-flying-tanaan-jungle-warlords-of-draenor-mmo-pc-blizzard"]Ion’s interview with Polygon here[/url].

While I can believe that flying isn't needed for the purposes of moving around (Engineers and Ogre portals provide this) The whole aspect of 'jumping puzzles' (Which is arguably one reason flying was removed) are pointless with the current tools we have available at our disposal to ignore those puzzles entirely and just get right to the prize.

Archaeology has also been one of those painful things for me to do- yes I can travel the world no problem, but navigation to these nodes are frequently painful and it just kills my desire to level it in Draenor.

I don't play on a PVP server to vouch for how 'well' things go on a PVP realm.

I can see why we might not 'need' flying, but I still question why we don't have it when any aspect of "We don't want you to fly to make this puzzle more challenging." is trivialized by the items you've given us in WOD (For instance, the infamous feather.)