Watcher says no flying in WoW's future.

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 511 Next
Sometimes I miss flying, but overall I'm content to wander around on the ground. I have found myself more appreciative of the views I get in game on my ground mount. I've taken more scenic screenshots for my desktop background in this expansion than I have at any other time in the game. I doubt I would have noticed it as much if I was zipping around on my flying mount.
No flying sounded interesting at the beginning, a bigger, more dangerous world with a lot of players interacting with each other, but, that didn't happen, that didn't motivate players to explore more nor to interact more, it is a failed experiment and they refuse to accept it.
One of the very first things I thought of when reading this was:

- This weekend I should go around Nagrand and actually figure out most of those glider puzzles, since I know they won't be trivialized in a future patch with the ability to fly again.

It's gonna suck, maybe, but I'll do it! 200 treasure achievement here I come!
Nothing's official until it drops, but assuming this bears out, good-bye, WoW.
05/22/2015 12:25 PMPosted by Crithto
We appreciate everyone who has taken the time to weigh in on this topic. You’ve provided some great insight and feedback, and we ask that you please be respectful of one another as you continue to discuss your thoughts and experiences.
My feed back?
I'm glad my sub is up. I won't be renewing it.
I do appreciate you providing some final, and unequivocal information, this should have been conveyed to us a long time ago.
FWIW, I think this decision sucks.
And, from a purely personal perspective? I genuinely dislike the people who decided that "no more flying" would be the rule going forward.
Y'all in those "hallways and offices" can bite me.
That's fine. If I can't have the convenience of flying, I'll just never, ever leave my garrison to go exploring anywhere ever again. I'll just play World of Raiding and Garrisons.

When Garrisons get blamed for the ills of removing flying, and garrisons get removed in 7.0 to promote "exploring", I'll have to re-evaluate if this game is worth my time or not.

No flying is fine while leveling and content is new and current. No flying while content is old and stale a year to two years later? I'm over that. Flying is what makes me want to go out and explore old leveling zones a year into the expansion - because it introduces a new way to see the world.

I don't care about exploring on a ground mount in leveling areas at max level, because exploring mostly just means totally needless inconvenience to get places. There's no such thing as real exploring at max level. To get places, you just look up the "correct" path to get from point A to point B on wowhead or other website tools the first time. After the first time, you already know everything about that path after that one singular experience. I really don't feel like being inconvenienced when a flying mount would give me a better way to get over some stupid mountain for the hundredth time I needed to get over it. Getting lost trying to find the one singular correct path over a mountain is neither exploring nor fun to me. It gets even worse the 100th time I have to take that same path around that same mountain in my way. I'd be fine if access to my flying mount required me to complete some sort of 'explorer' achievement for me to prove that the content is old.

I was fine with spaces like the Timeless Isle that were no flying bubbles (small, contained spaces where flying didn't feel needed). I'm not fine with no flying in Nagrand a year into being level 100.

If flying mounts are basically gone forever, then Blizzard needs to stop selling flying-enabled mounts, stop giving away flying-enabled mounts as rewards, and stop producing marketing advertisements that include misleading flying scenes. If flying is bad for the game, then stop using flying as a marketing tool.

In the end, I'm fine with playing World of Raiding and Garrisons. I love raiding and I love garrisons. I just don't even really miss the outside world at all this far into the expansion.
I want flying back in the newest zones.

This is extremely disappointing .
I never really cared about flying or not. I do care about how you baited everyone into thinking flying might be at some point and probably never actually thought about doing so.

Now I know it has always been a *maybe* tagged to flying but if you knew from the start, you guys should have been honest from the start. Like : "Flying won't be in WoD at any point, even if 3M subs leave the boat before the first raid patch......."
We appreciate everyone who has taken the time to weigh in on this topic. You’ve provided some great insight and feedback, and we ask that you please be respectful of one another as you continue to discuss your thoughts and experiences.

Honestly it is the respect for the development team and game designers that is really deteriorating.

A statement such as Watcher's makes no rational sense if you have actually played any of the open world content in Warlords.

This level of straight up incompetence is extremely frustrating and disheartening.
wtb refunds for all store flying mounts, should clarify I'm not pro-flying at all but even i'm like ready to have flying back for the convenience.

Even if its not in tanaan, that's fine but I'd like to be able to fly on my alts in the other draenor zones, explored everything already at this point.
05/22/2015 12:28 PMPosted by Quickstopx
Go home, it's over
It is, and we are.
Thanks for creating a thread on this. As you noted, lead designer Ion Hazzikostas mentioned in a recent interview with Polygon that we’ve decided not to allow the use of flying mounts on Draenor. There’s been a lot of debate about the pros and cons of flying over the course of this expansion—not just in the community, but in the hallways, offices, and break rooms at Blizzard—and we know it’s something everyone feels passionately about.

During Patch 6.2’s development, we continued to discuss how flight would fundamentally change the way players experience all of Draenor’s ground-based content, and carefully weighed that against the benefits flying would bring to the game. Ultimately, after much deliberation, we came to the conclusion that the world of Draenor would simply no longer provide the experience we envisioned it if we were to reintroduce flight in this expansion.

You can read the original quote in [url="http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/22/8645293/world-of-warcraft-no-flying-tanaan-jungle-warlords-of-draenor-mmo-pc-blizzard"]Ion’s interview with Polygon here[/url].

It's a ballsy (and questionable) move to remove something as huge as flying from this expansion and posible future expansions. How it plays out depends on how well this expansion plays out and how well made the future expansions are.

I don't like it, but it's not a game breaker for me. I'll just take my flying mounts to old world content. It still kind of feels as though having flying mounts to begin with will be pointless unless I want to do old content.

/shrug

I admit, there are aspects of this game that really grind my gears. Thankfully, there are other things to distract me from those irritants (like leveling baby toons).

I hate taking a wait and see approach, but I really don't have a choice. I'll just keep my eye on what's coming up and decide for myself if playing the game will still be worth fifteen dollars a month.

I do hope to see some of you guys on the forums in game.
Really disappointed to hear this, and that it may not return in future expansions. I enjoy flying, it makes the world feel larger and freer to me rather than being a rat in a maze stuck on the ground. There's so much more I can do with flying, so many more places I can find to enjoy my time, and to be unable to explore Draenor to its fullest extent when it's a place I was so excited about visiting is incredibly disappointing.

My desire to participate in aspects of the world is severely diminished by the lack of flight. It isn't just about convenience, it's about freedom. They say the art is less appreciated from the sky, but I appreciate it more when I can see it from all angles. I enjoy the game more when I can find new and exciting places to go.

Will I quit playing? Probably not. I still like most of the game, and spending time with my friends. Will I continue to enjoy content out in the main parts of the world though? No. I'll just stick to RPing in my garrison or on Azeroth/Outland where I can actually fly to cool, infrequently visited spots.
05/22/2015 12:32 PMPosted by Lissanna
That's fine. If I can't have the convenience of flying, I'll just never, ever leave my garrison to go exploring anywhere ever again. I'll just play World of Raiding and Garrisons.
My thoughts exactly. It's not like I leave my garrison much, if at all, anymore anyways. But at least until today, I had the HOPE that I would have a reason to in the future. That reason was just taken away.

I dread what next expansion's "garrison" feature will be, to keep us occupied while grounded.

World of Garrisons kinda sucks. World of Raiding is alright though.
we came to the conclusion that the world of Draenor would simply no longer provide the experience we envisioned

What was this vision that you had in mind, exactly?
Thanks for creating a thread on this. As you noted, lead designer Ion Hazzikostas mentioned in a recent interview with Polygon that we’ve decided not to allow the use of flying mounts on Draenor. There’s been a lot of debate about the pros and cons of flying over the course of this expansion—not just in the community, but in the hallways, offices, and break rooms at Blizzard—and we know it’s something everyone feels passionately about.

During Patch 6.2’s development, we continued to discuss how flight would fundamentally change the way players experience all of Draenor’s ground-based content, and carefully weighed that against the benefits flying would bring to the game. Ultimately, after much deliberation, we came to the conclusion that the world of Draenor would simply no longer provide the experience we envisioned it if we were to reintroduce flight in this expansion.

You can read the original quote in [url="http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/22/8645293/world-of-warcraft-no-flying-tanaan-jungle-warlords-of-draenor-mmo-pc-blizzard"]Ion’s interview with Polygon here[/url].

Well good to know, I'll not bother mount farming anymore. This xpac has been Jay wilson'd hard.
*grabs popcorn*

I understand your disappointment, but doing that would be the video game equivalent of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I shall continue to explore, even if I have to RP walk to do it.

Edited to add that the lack of flying, while disappointing, isn't a game breaker for me. However, the lack of things to see and do is. As long as I get new content to explore, I'm content.