Flameglow

Mage
Bottom line up front: why nerf it?

Is it really that OP? According to World of Wargraphs today(25 May 15), 62.01% of mages use Ice Barrier. Only 26.53% use Flameglow. Why nerf it to the point that no one will use it? Why not leave it as a viable option for people that don't like to click on their defensive spells?
I believe they NERFED it because it helped mages solo old content.
For example, in heroic 25/man FL, Flameglow is a must on some bosses, for a mage to solo it.
Although, getting leech on some gear would probably more than make up for it.

So, who knows!
it was the only viable option for arena (3v3, main competitive form of pvp). thats the reason for the nerf. it was OP in 3v3
05/25/2015 11:42 AMPosted by Noixi
You believe a lot of crazy things though. You believe Amp Magic was a 30% dps loss. You believe Mages are poor at dps. I also don't think Blizzard cares enough about soloing old and irrelevant content.

It was deemed too strong in PvP. While that may be true to a degree, given how much Melee can get all over casters at the moment maybe it wasn't such a bad thing to not die in 3 attacks. Blizzard is finally doing something to "balance" PvP, but don't worry, self-healing from Paladins, Druids or Hunters isn't getting touched... If only they'd move competitive PvP to it's own thing and just let the rest of us play this game to have fun.
For example, in heroic 25/man FL, Flameglow is a must on some bosses, for a mage to solo it.

So, who knows!

Flameglow isn't that useful for soloing. Also, why would they nerf a talent because it helped solo something from two expansions ago when they purposefully put in a mechanic to trivialize the content?
05/25/2015 06:28 PMPosted by Tuckletuts
You believe a lot of crazy things though. You believe Amp Magic was a 30% dps loss. You believe Mages are poor at dps

And you believe he's serious. Noixi is nothing but a troll. Always has been, always will be.
Personally I'm still going to use it after the nerf. It's the only passive option in the tier, and I'm not running anything higher than heroic content. It's not the best, but it gets the job done for those of us who have enough to worry about as it is.
The nerf has basically no effect on Flameglow in PVE. Most attacks in raids hit for over 15K, 20% of which is 3K. That's much higher than the other cap, which is 30% of our spellpower. This means that Flameglow's effectiveness is limited mostly by our gear, and the 20% cap has very little effect. The change only changes things on constant streams of weak damage effects, such as autoattacks or DOTs in PVP.
Because it's the only worthwhile talent on that tier and instead of fixing the other two talents or idk moving evanescence to that row, they decided to nerf it.

From what I hear, it makes mages pretty tanky in pvp, so that could be a minor reason as well.
The defensive effect of FG was Never OP, in 3's or anywhere else. Healing is the only thing that's OP.

FG is a very good choice of talent, among 2 other mediocre choices. Can't have an outstanding choice for Mages, thus bashed with the nerf bat.
It made mages tanky against classes that don't hit hard but hit often in PvP.

And they decided that wasn't ok.

Won't really matter though, this just means in arenas mages will need to think a little more carefully about mongo-offensive blocking.

It really was only nerfed because of 3s.
Alter Time and Ice Barriers are completely useless defensive talents since they will immediately get dispelled by 90% of all other classes.

Tell me. Which other class defensives can be instantly dispelled by 90% of all toons? At least Disc Priest shield is layered with other buffs, us mages get no layers of anything. Pop it, its instant dispelled off.

FG is the only viable choice and seriously? It is OP and require nerf?

Like 1-3 top arena mages use it so well in conjunction with top 1-3 healers in team and that justifies a nerf?

Great going blizz.
Flameglow is way too overpowered for PvP? Give me a !@#$ing break!

But DK death strike is fine for PvP?
Nothing wrong with Hunter spirit bond OP passive healing?
Rets healing to full in 3 FoL while cocooned in an immunity bubble?
Warlocks drain life spam heal is a-ok?
Feral healing HoTs and instant cast free healing touch no problemo?
Boomie PvP healing is fine. Yersa's gift doesn't need a nerf?

Nothing wrong with any of that?

Nope its that Mage OP flameglow that must be stopped before it endangers the entire PvP balance system as we know it!
Flameglow must be stopped.
Nerf flameglow?
Just asinine!!! I can't even understand WTF Bliz is trying to do with PvP anymore.

In return please make BOTH Alter time and Ice barrier undispellable, then you can nerf flameglow all you want.
06/02/2015 10:49 PMPosted by Xzap
Flameglow is way too overpowered for PvP? Give me a !@#$ing break!

But DK death strike is fine for PvP?
Nothing wrong with Hunter spirit bond OP passive healing?
Rets healing to full in 3 FoL while cocooned in an immunity bubble?
Warlocks drain life spam heal is a-ok?
Feral healing HoTs and instant cast free healing touch no problemo?
Boomie PvP healing is fine. Yersa's gift doesn't need a nerf?

Nothing wrong with any of that?

Nope its that Mage OP flameglow that must be stopped before it endangers the entire PvP balance system as we know it!
Flameglow must be stopped.
Nerf flameglow?
Just asinine!!! I can't even understand WTF Bliz is trying to do with PvP anymore.

In return please make BOTH Alter time and Ice barrier undispellable, then you can nerf flameglow all you want.

I will tell you what they are (probably) trying to do.

Mage is about to be turned into the textbook glass cannon again.

Do you have any idea what the damage buffs to frost in 6.2 are going to do for us? If you don't I will explain it to you.

Mage damage (frost) is already pretty decent in PvP, and we are getting like 4 very significant damage buffs and one slight damage nerf. What will likely end up happening as a result is that Mage will be putting out damage equal to the very best classes, while also having extremely strong CC.

Mage is the 5th most represented class above 2200 in 3s arena right now, and with the damage buffs we are about to get that is going to increase for sure.

The Flameglow nerf is likely intended to make choosing the Mage class more of a tradeoff compared to hybrids. We clearly have less powerful survivability compared to them, but soon possibly the best in game damage potential to compensate for that.

I will hold off final judgement until after the patch goes live and I get a chance to test it for myself, but I think Mage is going to be simply melting faces post 6.2.
20% buff to frostbolt will not be melting faces. I know one hopes for the best, but it will not.

So, who knows!

You may be right, not arguing but please, if they are nerfing ANY mage spec because of solo abilities then what about Hunters, DKs, Pallys, Locks, Shamans etc. There is no in hell that a mage can solo old content better then pet classes or hybrids. Not even possible to be better at that sort of thing as a mage. We simple take too much damage and don't have passive heals to rely on (no 3 minute Ice Blocks don't even compare to hybrid heals, or pets that take damage for you).
06/05/2015 01:21 PMPosted by Meatballzz
You may be right

No, he's not. Flameglow nerf has nothing to do with soloing old content. I guarantee you that nobody's sitting back at Blizzard thinking "golly, those mages sure do have it too easy when soloing Firelands, we better nerf that!" :p
We all know blizzard balance this game around 3s or raiding, and since nobody takes it for raiding they had to balance it around pvp. In 3s with a healer on you, being constantly hit for 3 minutes adds up to a LOT of damage absorption over the match, and in that situation was pretty OP. Its a shame that they couldnt balance it another way (say up to X damage per minute) instead to leave some functionality outside of 3s but whatever.