Possible New Races?

Story Forum
Prev 1 7 8 9 Next
The Lore deliberately makes the Pandaren neutral.

Their fondness for the Ironforge dwarves doesn’t put the pandaren in a likely position to join the Alliance any time soon. They feel the Alliance gives too much weight to politics, treaties, and arcane magic when, really, all one needs to do is step outside one's door, taste the air, feel the earth and take one’s cues from there. Overall, the Alliance is unnecessarily complicated for the pandaren, and although they do enjoy visiting Theramore (especially for the taverns), they don't plan on setting up homes there any time soon.

They have much in common with the Horde when it comes to spirituality, but they are unlikely to join their forces either. The Horde is formed of races in the midst of healing, the pandaren believe, and they need to find themselves before they can allow anyone else to join their fold.

Besides, the pandaren are just visiting.

Alright, I'll offer one minor quibble to something offered earlier and then some entirely baseless and deliciously pointless wish-listing.

Earlier it was said that the Ethereals would probably be disinclined to join the Horde because of the presence of the Bilgewater Cartel, but I'm not sure that they agree. While it probably remains to be seen how this will pan out in the broader timeline, the Horde economy is, I think, likely to be expanding with the introduction of the Bilgewater Cartel. Rather than be a problem for the Ethereals, this would be a "growth area" and an intelligent investment for whoever. That said, the Ethereals are like the goblins in their mercantile and factionized society and essentially random events could draw one group of Ethereals to either faction (as it did for the Goblins). With so little information, it's hard to be conclusive either way with that.

However, I'm biased. Witness my wishlisting:

Horde:
- Pandaren (because I want them and I'm biased towards the Horde*)
- Vrykul (Members of the Scourge have already entered the Horde through the Forsaken, perhaps they will see something familiar in the Orcish warrior culture, but probably not)
- Ethereals (Expanding into the Azerothian market, they want to be close to the Goblins and the Blood Elves)

Alliance:
- Ogres (Alienated by Garrosh's hateful species-ist policies, [X] tribe joins the Alliance)
- Red Drakonids (Dunno how Alexstraza is going to feel about the Dragonmaw returning to the horde)
- Ethereals? (lol. Perhaps Arrakoa instead - could be the alliance counterpoint to the Forsaken in terms of ethics)

* But not really. Do people seriously deny themselves part of the game just to participate in some sort of faction loyalty? I'm about 60/40 H/A in character distribution, if only because of the number of Forsaken I rolled back in Vanilla when WotF was 'hilarious' in PVP.

But more importantly I just want to get the gosh darn Dark Iron skins for my dwarves, the current "vaguely nauseous" grey just isn't cutting it for me ):
Ogres should not go alliance.

This whole "But they'll be like the Blood elves!" nonsense needs to stop.

The blood elves had already drifted from the Alliance.
The Ogres are joining the Horde in -greater- numbers.

There are various Ogre towns and quests where the Horde recruits Ogres.

Wouldn't it be backwards to be playing an Alliance Ogre and see the Horde recruiting your people? or your people guarding their towns?

Look the Alliance already got wolves, a Horde symbol, possibly more important than the High elves you saw so seldomly in Vanilla.

You have your brutal race, you've got no excuse to take from the Horde.
SATYR!!! Best race in the game lol.

The Horde needs Ogres, and they need to be so big that they can't fit through some doors and won't be able to access certain areas. :P

I think they're done with new races until WOW2 comes out. I think a better question is what new Hero classes will they come out with.
01/07/2011 1:45 PMPosted by Goredeth
SATYR!!! Best race in the game lol.

The Horde needs Ogres, and they need to be so big that they can't fit through some doors and won't be able to access certain areas. :P

I think they're done with new races until WOW2 comes out. I think a better question is what new Hero classes will they come out with.

We know that if all goes well we'll have 2 more expansions and i don't think we need another Death Knight, So Naga for Horde.
Akrithel
85 Undead Death Knight
i want:

Naga
Ogre
High Elf
Furbolg
Vrykul
Tuskaar
Tol'vir
Man'ari Eredar
Pandaran
murloc (maybe)
Nerubian
Arakkoa

Great ideas and i do not agree on the murlocs that would be stupid considering the Dialog for them would always be mrmmmrrrrrrglrrrrrllll my brother also thinks that trogs would be good but i also think that would be stupid for the same reason
I'd love to see Dark Trolls on the Alliance. It wouldnt be too hard to right into the story, they've allied with nelves before.

That and trolls are too awesome to keep on 1 faction.
it would be cool to see a panther/jungle cat human race since there is already a man-wolf race
How about we give dragons to the Horde and non-combat pets to the Alliance?
Zalashji, Chieftain of the Spearscale Tribe of Naga, was on his way home.

He spent a long time in his Den in Tanaris. Sometimes explorers would come to his Den. he payed them little heed. They were just explorers after all.

He spent a long time in his Den away from home, away from the Abyssal Depths, because he felt something wasn't right with what his people were doing. That something about Azshara, his Queen he held in such high reverence, wasn't right. Something nagged in the back of his head, whenever he would be sent on a mission of conquest for the Queen. So, he left. The Spearscale Tribe went into hiding deep under the waters of the South Seas. And he left them to have time. Time to meditate. Time to reflect.

Should they have betrayed the Tidehunter?

Naga, a long time ago, used to hold Neptulon the Tidehunter, Elemental Lord of Water, in great respect. They drew power from him. They worshiped him. And, they loved doing it. Zalashji was one of the most devoted... The Chief Shaman of his Spearscale Tribe. Able to beseech Neptulon and the Element of Water to bend to his will to both heal and harm.

But as Azshara turned against the Tidehunter, his skills as a Shaman were lost. And his Tribe escaped Azshara's mental hold on them, and Zalashji went to Tanaris to meditate. To reflect. To hopefully, try to find a way to atone for the sins his kind had inflicted upon Neptulon.

And finally, he heard the soothing voice of the Waves as they crashed on the shore outside his Den. He listened to the Winds as they blew across the ocean. He looked down to the sand under his tail, and placed his hand on it, to feel the Earth, and felt the touch of the bright burning sun on his scales. He listened. He meditated. He reflected.

He spoke back. And the Water responded.

"Zalashji... You and your Tribe have remained faithful to us.. To the Tidehunter. He grants you what you once had." The Winds began to Whisper.

"We have seen what you have done for your people. The waves are not the only ones impressed... Zalashji..." The sand started to rumble.

"You've shown the tenacity to remain here for so long... And we have been watching. Patiently." The heat started to intensify.

"And your burning passion for what you believe has now driven you to speak to us once more. And we hear you, Shaman."

Zalashji returned to his Tribe below the tides. They welcomed him. It was hard staying in hiding for so long. But it was their time. The former Shaman there had also spoken back to the water around them. Zalashji knew it was time to strike back at Queen Azshara for what she had done to rebel against the Tidehunter.

But how... They were a small tribe... And Azshara had many more under her control.

Zalashji thought of trying to find allies. And of course, the first thing to come to his mind was the Alliance. But the thought of them... Caused his blood to boil. The water around him started to heat up as the fire in his soul burned.

He hated the Kaldorei.

The Naga are mutated Night Elves. And the Kaldorei would never accept them for what they were. And because of this, all Naga, Spearscale or not, hated the Night Elves with a great, and it burned...

There was only one other option. It wouldn't be easy, but the Spearscale Naga rose from the depths on Bladefist Bay to meet surprised Dranosh'ar Overseers and Peons, and the Kor'kron Deathbingers at nearby Skull Rock, having killed the Burning Blade there, quickly turned to face the Naga. Zalashji led them. The Kor'kron held a line as word was sent to the Warchief.

And come, the Warchief did. Garrosh, with his tattooed jaw and the mighty Gorehowl in hand, stood to face the Naga.

But the Naga in response, dropped their tridents. They dropped their spears and swords. Zalashji slowly approched, his mace in it's sheath, and he kneeled... Err, crouched... However a Naga would get down... In front of Garrosh.

"Warchief Hellscream... We Ssspearscale Naga have broken free of the terrible grip of our former Queen... We wish to dessstroy her Kingdom, and avenge what ssshe has done to the Tidehunter and to the Elementsss..."

"Why should I believe you, Naga!? Your kind have warred with the Horde for years. Why I should-" Garrosh was cut off.

"Warchief! Stay your blade for a moment!" It was Gotura Fourwinds. He followed Garrosh from his post in Grommash Hold. "I sense something from him. He has the Tidehunter's Mark. He is a Shaman."

"A Shaman? A Naga?" Garrosh was confused(derp).

"Warchief... We ssseek to ally with you. We wish to not only defeat Azshara." Zalashji looked up. "We would also asssist you in a war againssst a common enemy of oursss... The Night Elvesss. And by extension... the Alliance."

Garrosh paused.

And a smile curved in his jaw.

Also:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4761/nagaow7.png

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2771537724_dd6e2b153a.jpg

http://dragondruida.deviantart.com/favourites/#/d36j7he

This is about the third time i've posted this.
Pandarens would go Alliance.

Ever hear of their brew masters? And who makes the best brew this side of Azeroth?

Dwarves. Hands down.

Horde get Ogres. Their racial mount is themselves while suspiciously gaining a whip cracking goblin to ride their shoulders.

Ehh I like it, but how would Naga using mounts work?

Ehh I like it, but how would Naga using mounts work?
Its hard to explain in words. Their tail doubles up on the saddle is the easiest way to describe it.
I didn't read all the responses on this thread, so maybe someone already said this.

I've always wanted the elves I imagined as I read Tolkien in the Alliance. Those elves resembled what we now have on the Horde, the Blood Elves. I've got a very good idea for a race that would fit the alliance well, without copying the Blood Elves model.

Half-Elves! Think about it, humans and elves in Theramore had been living for years together. Who says there weren't any babies between both races?

Many people will say "Theramore isn't a very populated city, your idea of a half-elf is worthless since they aren't many High Elves left". Well I say to you, cities seems small, but aren't in scale in WoW, Theramore might be the size of WoW's Stormwind, and 1/100 of the Highelves remain, 90/100 were killed by the Scourge and 9/100 became Blood Elves. Lore states that High Elves rarely have kids (War of the Ancients book, Vereesa tells this to Rhonin), maybe they had to mate with humans to at least have descendants of their race, and thus a boom in the Half-Elves happened.

Maybe, this elves are on their 20's, and they wish to find a land to call their own (maybe in the new continent?). Arator the Redeemer could get his !@# back to Azeroth and lead this race to victory!
01/07/2011 01:09 PMPosted by Scroggnose
Earlier it was said that the Ethereals would probably be disinclined to join the Horde because of the presence of the Bilgewater Cartel, but I'm not sure that they agree. While it probably remains to be seen how this will pan out in the broader timeline, the Horde economy is, I think, likely to be expanding with the introduction of the Bilgewater Cartel. Rather than be a problem for the Ethereals, this would be a "growth area" and an intelligent investment for whoever. That said, the Ethereals are like the goblins in their mercantile and factionized society and essentially random events could draw one group of Ethereals to either faction (as it did for the Goblins). With so little information, it's hard to be conclusive either way with that.
I agree, Ethereals are really an either/or. I personally choose Horde, because the way I see it:

Goblins = Gnomes
Ethereals = Draenei

And while we're at it:
Forsaken = Qiraji

That's right, Qiraji for the Alliance. Swarm versus Scourge.

"We were once beaten... divided. It was then that the Whispers.... the Whispers promised us power. Power... to take ALL of Azeroth. We listened to the Whispers, and the Whispers granted us power! But at a cost... the cost of our MINDS.

Then... the Whispers turned into silence, and we... were FREE. But some, they missed the whispers, they missed the power. So when the Whispers returned, they were all too eager to rejoin the swarm.

But we... we will NOT be taken again. That is why you must DIG, larva! DIG! If you want to retain your FREEDOM!"

Discovered: Ahn'Qiraj Escape Tunnels

Goblins = Gnomes
Ethereals = Draenei

And while we're at it:
Forsaken = Qiraji

That's right, Qiraji for the Alliance. Swarm versus Scourge.

"We were once beaten... divided. It was then that the Whispers.... the Whispers promised us power. Power... to take ALL of Azeroth. We listened to the Whispers, and the Whispers granted us power! But at a cost... the cost of our MINDS.

Then... the Whispers turned into silence, and we... were FREE. But some, they missed the whispers, they missed the power. So when the Whispers returned, they were all too eager to rejoin the swarm.

But we... we will NOT be taken again. That is why you must DIG, larva! DIG! If you want to retain your FREEDOM!"

Discovered: Ahn'Qiraj Escape Tunnels

Qiraji/Nerubian/Aqir should be Horde to give Horde connection to Old Gods so we can be involved in Titan stuff without following Brann.

Ethereals should be Alliance's cash race.

Blood Elves give Horde everything Draenei bring.
Qiraji/Nerubian/Aqir should be Horde to give Horde connection to Old Gods so we can be involved in Titan stuff without following Brann.

I agree with the idea behind the insect races on the Horde, though technically, any race with a personal reason to dislike the Old Gods would do. I found Pyroraptor's idea of the Naga as shamanistic to be intriguing, if rough.

I've been concerned about the Ethereals on either faction, actually. Don't get me wrong, they're a very interesting race with equally impressive history, but I worry they might be thematically redundant on a few counts.

Goblins and Blood Elves for the technological advancement, financial focus and magical inclinations for the Horde. Gnomes and Draenei for the technological advancement, space faring history and magical inclination Alliance side.

I think the Old gods themselves are universally evil enough that it doesn't really matter. As for Titans/Brann, you can just follow that Blood Elf guy instead. Maybe he can get there first and yoink some sweet Titanic Toys for the Horde. Besides, the idea is to pit the Qiraj against the Forsaken. If the Horde had two endless swarms the Alliance would be overrun in a week. D:

Why does the Ethereals being a "Cash" race mean they have to counterpart the Goblins? (Why does the Alliance need a cash race anyway?) The Orcs and Tauren are both big, spiritual races, and the Gnomes and Dwarves are both short, industrial races. It's not redundant, it's why they're such great friends with each other. Think of it like this:

Goblin:"WOAH! These fancy space guys must be LOADED! I've gotta get my hands on somma' that space cash!"
Ethereal: "These little green things make great servants. Just show them something shiny and they'll do anything you want."
Synergy!

Besides, the Ethereals have an inherent, bodily connection to the Void, a lot like the Draenei have with the light. Painting them as just a "Cash race" is an unfairly one-dimensional outlook.