How can people learn?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 54 Next
01/06/2011 7:46 PMPosted by Lylirra
For example, trial and error can be a great educator.

I'd wish people could handle this. That's the way I roll on single player games, however, in WoW, people get bored after wipes which might be even caused because they need more time than you to learn the strategies, and they simply walk away.
How can you rely on this kind of methods if you don't have the necessary human resources to do that?
Don't even talk about people with your same playstyle. Every server has a different community, and I don't want to play server transfers to get the type of playmates I want (if that's even possible in any of the Latin American servers).
My own experiences watching trade chat, along with tanking and healing the Cataclysm dungeons using the LFD tool, has shown me that the wow community is rotten at the core.

I have not seen any civil discourse in-game channel in well over a week. I have seen everything from the abuse of the dungeon kick system, to an obviously new player berated and shamed in trade chat.

I have also seen several ideas floated around in this forum and others to help the new player learn the mechanics of the game. Most of them involve an in-game quest or phased area used as an educational aid. While these ideas do have some merit, they do not address the actual problem of a rotted community.

When a new or struggling player cannot, or is afraid to ask basic questions, the community is broken. Outside sources are of no aid when they cannot be positively reinforced with an in-game experience.

Those of you that cannot help others can watch the game wither.

I wish they were, but let's be reasonable. This is World of Warcraft. There are a lot of bad apples. Not to say there are no kind people playing -- just that the jerks really seem to outnumber the nice ones.

That's not been my personal experience, so I'm willing to remain naively optimistic for the time being. I will admit that the bad in-game experiences I've had tend to stick with me longer than the good ones, though, and that it's difficult sometimes not to let those color my perception of a larger community of players.

But, good-hearted players certainly do exist. I've just found that they may not always be the most outspoken individuals and can be easy to miss. On that note, here's a /hug to all the nice people I've grouped with these last couple of weeks. :)
Let's keep this discussion civil, please. It's been going well so far and I'd hate to have it locked.
01/06/2011 8:31 AMPosted by Polymorpher
wowhead.com
tankspot.com
wowwiki.com

The internet has much better resources for learning than in game.

Completely unacceptable answers.

People in game are better resources, people in game can and should be able to take 2 minutes to explain a boss fight or a particular mechanic.

No one should be expected to go to out of game sites to learn basic dungeons, or even heroic dungeons.

There is no negative impact on anyone to take a couple minutes to coach someone.
01/06/2011 8:19 PMPosted by Vain
My own experiences watching trade chat, along with tanking and healing the Cataclysm dungeons using the LFD tool, has shown me that the wow community is rotten at the core.

Not everyone is rotten. Not everyone is abusive. Not all of us treat others horrible because there is no repercussion doing so.

I'm often the target of abuse because i'll stand up for the person being treated badly for no reason; which is fine because I would rather be the target for the trolls and jerks then someone who has done nothing to deserve it, since I know I won't driven away and can handle my end of the argument.
01/06/2011 7:49 PMPosted by Heartfire
In fact, I'd argue that most players are kind, fun-loving, helpful people

I wish they were, but let's be reasonable. This is World of Warcraft. There are a lot of bad apples. Not to say there are no kind people playing -- just that the jerks really seem to outnumber the nice ones.

What this guy said.
@ OP

this is a good post you have bought up, however on the other side of the card is those of us who do offer to help, and often geting knocked back when we are just trying to ofter our 2 cents. To many times ive gone into a heroic, seen someone struggling, offered some advice, and then been told to bugger off, or something worse, along those lines. This can often put those of us who dont want to help, off helping in the first place
WOW requires doing your homework. Suck it up and do it, OP.