In-game Community Policing Tools

General Discussion
We return to this conversation, already in progress;

The solution to this problem, and many other problems, is a ratings system for the player/contributor base. Let the massive player/user community police itself. This isn't even rocket science, a ratings system has been put in place in many other large online communities, and generally meets with some level of success based on how well the tools are implemented. Whether there is oversight to come to the rescue of the scapegoated, for example. Whether the tools are allowed to have an effect on the employees of the hosting company, for another.

I've mentioned community policing tools many times in the past. (including the last time I tried to start a thread on this subject by linking previous mentions of the subject. Don't do that blindly. the phrase "please sir may a have another" springs immediately to mind) Mentioned it at the end of the previous expansion pack. Mentioned it during the Cataclysm expansion. Mentioned it during Wrath of the Lich King while interacting with the GM's. I don't think I even understood how many people were playing the game while I was still playing Burning Crusade. If I did, I'm sure I mentioned it then too.

Because it is a glaring oversight on the part of online game developers, generally. The understanding that large communities require policing, and that the best police are recruited from among the players; people willing to file reports, click buttons, whatever the tools in place allow. Those are the game companies' allies, and it is about time that the companies understood that they are shooting themselves in the foot by not allowing the communities to police themselves, and providing the tools for us to do it.
Give me the ability to downvote that Orc Shaman out of gameplay. She's hogging all the gametime.
Forget in game, they need to put something in effect on these toxic, passive-aggressive forums.
Sure thing. Blizzard should implement a system for players to downvote one another into temporary bans for a paid service. I can't see how this could be utterly abused...
Sometimes I wonder about another player's reading comprehension;

06/14/2015 01:45 AMPosted by Olaventa
a ratings system has been put in place in many other large online communities, and generally meets with some level of success based on how well the tools are implemented. Whether there is oversight to come to the rescue of the scapegoated, for example. Whether the tools are allowed to have an effect on the employees of the hosting company, for another.

Scapegoating is the term for downvoting without cause, piling on because everyone else does. As if I wouldn't be sensitive to the plight of scapegoats on this forum; http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/18000555539?page=1 check out the downvotes on that thread.
This "subject" has been discussed and shot down since online games began. One, simple, eloquent reason: Players cannot be given power because players cannot be trusted.
I downvoted Lambadin because he is a paladin.

i just broke your argument.
Trolling (like the last two posts) would be a ticket to text oblivion, yes. That is the beauty of a system that allowed community policing.

Trolls and moderators don't like these systems. Too bad for both groups.
We return to this conversation, already in progress;

The solution to this problem, and many other problems, is a ratings system for the player/contributor base. Let the massive player/user community police itself. This isn't even rocket science, a ratings system has been put in place in many other large online communities, and generally meets with some level of success based on how well the tools are implemented. Whether there is oversight to come to the rescue of the scapegoated, for example. Whether the tools are allowed to have an effect on the employees of the hosting company, for another.

I've mentioned community policing tools many times in the past. (including the last time I tried to start a thread on this subject by linking previous mentions of the subject. Don't do that blindly. the phrase "please sir may a have another" springs immediately to mind) Mentioned it at the end of the previous expansion pack. Mentioned it during the Cataclysm expansion. Mentioned it during Wrath of the Lich King while interacting with the GM's. I don't think I even understood how many people were playing the game while I was still playing Burning Crusade. If I did, I'm sure I mentioned it then too.

Because it is a glaring oversight on the part of online game developers, generally. The understanding that large communities require policing, and that the best police are recruited from among the players; people willing to file reports, click buttons, whatever the tools in place allow. Those are the game companies' allies, and it is about time that the companies understood that they are shooting themselves in the foot by not allowing the communities to police themselves, and providing the tools for us to do it.

Oh HADES NO!!!!
I do not think the player base should have ANY say in policing this game! The report is enough. Policing should be strictly done by blizzard!
this system would be biased and abused, op

do you remember when we were given an option to kick a player out of a dungeon?
now look at how its being used; people are hiding behind the kick "protection" and trolling dungeons and no one can stop them.
06/15/2015 09:04 PMPosted by Olaventa
Trolling (like the last two posts) would be a ticket to text oblivion, yes. That is the beauty of a system that allowed community policing.

On the contrary, trolls would love it as it'd be another tool used for griefing.

Some simple facts:

There is no such thing as the perfect system, there will always be some flaw or downfall from it.

Everything has pros and cons. It is a matter of calculating and weighing the two against each other and attempting to compensate for the cons and downfalls.
The solution to this problem, and many other problems, is a ratings system for the player/contributor base. Let the massive player/user community police itself.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.......breath.......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.......breath.......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh wait you are serious?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.......breath.......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.......breath.......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Blizzard doesn't care about trying to shape player behavior and is pretty much OK with players doing whatever they can do to each other so long as they aren't violating they ToU or EULA.
no

please

06/15/2015 08:45 PMPosted by Olaventa
sit

06/15/2015 08:32 PMPosted by Tarashal
down
06/15/2015 08:56 PMPosted by Wârda
One, simple, eloquent reason: Players cannot be given power because players cannot be trusted.

I must quote Cave Johnson here:
Fact: The key to any successful cooperative test is trust. And as our data clearly shows, humans cannot be trusted. The solution: robots!

So, all Blizzard has to do is replace all the players with robots. This cannot fail!
06/15/2015 09:04 PMPosted by Olaventa

and what happens when you get a large group of people that decide to tell others what to do or else they get downvoted into oblivion. Then you end up with a corrupt group of gamethugs (sounds silly to say).
06/15/2015 09:28 PMPosted by Rikitikitavi
The solution to this problem, and many other problems, is a ratings system for the player/contributor base. Let the massive player/user community police itself.

oh wait you are serious?

So Olaventa, from your post I take it to mean that you would prefer to be in a position of dominance in an ingame popularity contest?
You never give power to the mob. You only make them believe that they have power. You don't actually give them power.

If you do, next thing you know, the idiots vote themselves unlimited gold, food and entertainment for life.
This wouldn't be abused like hell, nope.