Seeking Paladin PvP Advice.

Paladin
Greetings Paladin community.

I am attempting to assist a friend who wishes to learn appropriate techniques for Retribution Paladin PvP.

The basics are there currently (knowing the abilities and what they do essentially, with some basic situational knowledge) but are there any finer nuances to Retribution PvP that could be of assistance?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Regards, Shootingkids.
One of the things that helps me the most, or has helped me the most in the last seasons is to sit back after a BG or arena and hash out things you did well or things you should have done differently.

Such as "... I should have rebuked that healer that was almost dead trying to heal instead of using my stun, cause i needed that stun after that and didint have it"

Also its good to learn when to use your PVP trinket and when not too.

I know my examples are lame, but I have found that reflexion after a game or match can work well in the long run.

Also its good to have a fundemental knowledge of what skills the other classes have so you have a better understanding of what to do and when. For example if you are fighting a class that can toss up a temp bubble it might be best to wait it out before unleashing your burst. Ive seen new ret pallys try to holy magiv fight a DK only to have the DKs antimagic shield absord much of the DMG.

Its also good to know what skills have Cooldowns. If you are hit with a skill you know to have a lengthy CD you can rest a second knowing that while its on CD you wont get hit again. Pally Stuns i know he doesnt have it again for a while, and what he does have, repent isnt much of a stun to use in direct combat.

Another thing to do as a Ret is to not be afraid to toss a heal, WoG, or freedom on others in trouble, likewise if you see your mage BG comrade getting sauced by a rogue, toss them a Blessing of Protection. (might be called Hand of Protection i dont remember)

Those are only some of the ideas i can think of right now, pretty lame for me, not been asleep yet.
Thanks for your input and suggestions, I've forwarded the link to my friend and he'll be extremely grateful to have genuine responses to look over.

01/08/2011 4:32 AMPosted by Shootingkids
Thanks for your input and suggestions, I've forwarded the link to my friend and he'll be extremely grateful to have genuine responses to look over.

Try asking in the "Ask the Fuzzymittens" thread, she seems to be helping a lot of people there for pvp based ret questions
ret is ALL about support. do not let your teammates die at the cost of a freedom on yourself or a templars verdict.

use your hand spells on your team, keep them up, and use WoG on them.

ret is NOT a 1v1 spec atm so avoid those situations at all costs.
Thantor is right. We are useless when it comes to 1v1 unless the other player is just bad. You MUST keep your partner alive.

That said, while I have not tried a healer comp, I have found the most success with feral druid/me.

To be honest, I really just get carried by him. He is an amazing PVPer. With him, you have to chain your CCs on the off-target and kill the one you're on before those CCs run out. I usually open with a repentance on Target B, and as soon as I get 1 or 2 holy power, I blow everything and with his bleeds we try to take down Target A. As soon as repentence is about to end, he pops out and Cyclones Target B. If Target B is a healer, I may save my stun for the healer when Cyclone ends (or if a trinket happens, etc). We honestly do so much damage together that this is more than enough time to kill a target if we play it right. We also communicate well, which is always a good rule of thumb (Rebuking this one, Torrenting, etc.)

Also, something I've found to be extremely helpful with a double dps comp is to bubble EARLY. We simply aren't capable of having two lives anymore. As a result, when a team tries to blow everything on me, I just bubble and keep doing damage, because they aren't going to fair any better on the druid. Remember, avoided damage and just as good as healed damage.

With all that said, I'm not a great PVPer, but I hope those tips help.
Thantor is right. We are useless when it comes to 1v1 unless the other player is just bad. You MUST keep your partner alive.

Yeah and hope to god they dont FF you down or just cc you. It doesnt end well at all.
Thanks for the help again!

Bumping this just the once to see if there's any more assistance to be had.